A year ago today.........

izwozral

............the first two people in the UK were admitted into hospital with Covid 19, a year later, hospitals have treated over 300,000 people. and over 100,00 lives lost.
It's a terrible anniversary and Bills {Fishermans] post has paid a somber and respectful homage to the 100,000 lives lost.

This post is to say a huge THANKYOU to the NHS staff and all carers who have, and are, going through total physical and mental exhaustion treating Covid patients.

1611995272604.png

Yes watched it on tv this morning Ral.
When something like this happens I think it’s important that we try to take something positive from these sad events.
Well we possibly took for granted what we all had before. As things gradually get back to normal we should all value even more the simple things in life.
I know for a fact that when we get back out again we will enjoy it more than if none of this had happened. But I am looking forward to mostly is meeting up with family and friends again, I have missed them all so much.
Yes without making any points mistakes were made, and to be fair to some extent they were always going to be made. But we surely have learnt a lot from this, and these lessons will be used when this happens again.
Be thankful for small mercies, this virus kills one percent, it could have had a much higher mortality rate, and unlike the Spanish flue which killed mainly the young, they have been mainly spared from covid.
The NHS, if ever an organisation deserves our gratitude and our respect it’s the NHS. They gave of themselves without complaint. They even gave their lives for us. It reminds me of what the RAF did in WW2. Never in the field of human tragedy and suffering has so much been owed by so many to so few.
But what cheered me up the most was the way the world worked together to develop vaccines. It would be shameful and counterproductive if this immense achievement is spoiled by politicians behaving poorly towards its distribution. It’s imperative that the whole world is given access to these vaccines, for all our sakes.

But finally and most importantly, we must never forget what happened, and never forget or treat those who perished as merely numbers. They were all people, just like us. Everyone who died before their time was a loss to us all, and more so, a great loss to those who cared for them and loved them.

RIP.

Last edited:
Yes watched it on tv this morning Ral.
When something like this happens I think it’s important that we try to take something positive from these sad events.
Well we possibly took for granted what we all had before. As things gradually get back to normal we should all value even more the simple things in life.
I know for a fact that when we get back out again we will enjoy it more than if none of this had happened. But I am looking forward to mostly is meeting up with family and friends again, I have missed them all so much.
Yes without making any points mistakes were made, and to be fair to some extent they were always going to be made. But we surely have learnt a lot from this, and these lessons will be used when this happens again.
Be thankful for small mercies, this virus kills one percent, it could have had a much higher mortality rate, and unlike the Spanish flue which killed mainly the young, they have been mainly spared from covid.
The NHS, if ever an organisation deserves our gratitude and our respect it’s the NHS. They gave of themselves without complaint. They even gave their lives for us. It reminds me of what the RAF did in WW2. Never in the field of human tragedy and suffering has so much been owed by so many to so few.
But what cheered me up the most was the way the world worked together to develop vaccines. It would be shameful and counterproductive if this immense achievement is spoiled by politicians behaving poorly towards its distribution. It’s imperative that the whole world is given access to these vaccines, for all our sakes.

But finally and most importantly, we must never forget what happened, and never forget or treat those who perished as merely numbers. They were all people, just like us. Everyone who died before their time was a loss to us all, and more so, a great loss to those who cared for them and loved them.

Well said Bill. I too saw it this morning and tbh it brought a tear to my eye, hence my post.
Even though the country is crippled with debt, I really do think that ALL the carers and NHS staff ought to be given some special recognition, be it a lump sum of money, a medal or a statue - whatever.

Well said Bill. I too saw it this morning and tbh it brought a tear to my eye, hence my post.
Even though the country is crippled with debt, I really do think that ALL the carers and NHS staff ought to be given some special recognition, be it a lump sum of money, a medal or a statue - whatever.

I think money would be very welcome - and richly deserved, imho. ;)(y)

All sentiments I couldn’t agree with more.

I fear the tragedy will be that when things get back to whatever normal is going to be, the A&E departments will be filling up with the knob heads that in recent years make up a large proportion of emergency work. Lessons learned and nhs recognised for being the amazing organisation it is? For many here, of course, for many others no, it’ll continue to be that group of people who are always there to pick up the pieces, even when you’re drunk, violent and obnoxious.

I’ll set the scene. Young guy gets legless, thinks he’s superman and decides to play a game with his intellectual equals of jumping from parked car to parked car without touching the ground. Shock and awe! He falls between two cars and smacks his head along with some nasty cuts. After a short eventful trip to A&E which included being abusive and threatening to the crew, arriving at the hospital this sad excuse for a man continued to kick off being abusive and threatening, while all the time the overworked and underpaid staff carried out their duties of care.
This is normal everyday stuff, not the exception. In recent years the greater part of emergency work is dealing with the results of individuals desires to consume excess amounts of alcohol, hard drugs and food.

Give all our fabulous long suffering overworked nhs a bonus, let’s also give them the respect.

I have often thought that folk like the ones @Red Dwarf describes in his post above should be fined for wasting valuable resources.

Fixed Penalty Notice of £200 every time someone ends up in A&E due to 'accident that is alcohol related'?
With another £300 on top for any abuse/physical violence aimed at staff.

Seems fair to me. :)

I have often thought that folk like the ones @Red Dwarf describes in his post above should be fined for wasting valuable resources.

Fixed Penalty Notice of £200 every time someone ends up in A&E due to 'accident that is alcohol related'?

But double the fines. They're worth it!!

If it was down to me I would refuse to treat anyone who was obnoxious/verbally abusive. I know you have to be careful in case a head injury manifests itself as violence/agitation, but if they have the capacity to be threatening I wouldn't have though there was too much wrong with them.

Like the idea of large fines for time wasting but the probability is any fines wouldn't be paid......they spend all they have getting s**t faced with their mates.

If it was down to me I would refuse to treat anyone who was obnoxious/verbally abusive. I know you have to be careful in case a head injury manifests itself as violence/agitation, but if they have the capacity to be threatening I wouldn't have though there was too much wrong with them.
Five years ago I was admitted to the Queens Medical Centre Neurosurgical Centre after a brain haemorrhage, after my op I was put into a ward and the patient next to me had padded gloves on, he kept hitting the nurses and short of strapping him down it was the best option, after a few days another patient was trying to ring his wife but his phone would not work so I rang her and passed the phone to him, after that, we chatted a bit but one night there was an almighty noise and was him attacking the nurse.
I had anger issues after but having a strong wife meant I asked (I was told to ask or else) for help, still having treatment almost 5yrs later but you have met me a few times Sue so you know how calm I am 🙄
I am ashamed of how I was but thankfully it was anger, I was not aggressive or threatening but a lot of head injury patients are
edit: spelling error

Last edited:
My wife threatens to give me a head injury every day, the word yes dear sorts it out. 😂

AS for yobs in hospital, well after a few times I would give them 3 years in a hard task army regiment, that would tighten their hides.

How about fining the ones who end up in A&E due to alcohol related incidents (excluding addicts obviously) and the violent/abusive patients, and then putting the money into a pot to be shared by NHS staff as an annual ‘tip’?

How about fining the ones who end up in A&E due to alcohol related incidents (excluding addicts obviously) and the violent/abusive patients, and then putting the money into a pot to be shared by NHS staff as an annual ‘tip’?
Alcohol is an addiction along with fags, and collecting old m/bikes. 😂

“AS for yobs in hospital, well after a few times I would give them 3 years in a hard task army regiment, that would tighten their hides”

That is just the best phrase ever! Never heard it before, brilliant.

Interestingly I read in the Times that anti maskers in Dominica (I think) were made to dig the graves for Covid victims. Not sure we want to head down that sort of path even though my first impression on reading it was uncomfortably behind the idea. As always the balance between societies restrictions and personal freedoms is tricky.

Like the idea of large fines for time wasting but the probability is any fines wouldn't be paid......they spend all they have getting s**t faced with their mates.
Unfortunately there are prescription drugs which can cause aggression in some people....I have had a chap throw a chair through a window due to aggression caused by steroids ( same ones as used to treat covid, inflammation and chemo sickness) Also something as simple as a urine infection can make the elderly in particular confused and often aggressive. I was decked from an uppercut administered by an 80yr old (who used to box) when he was confused due to one of the prescribed meds. Also mental health issues can cause aggression, much harder to deal with or even identify at times. Staff do refuse treatment now if someone is a threat to them, but mostly it is known repeat offenders.

This has been suggested in the past, but how would that sit with somebody attacked by a drunk individual....also has been imbibing but a victim? My middle son was bottled in a night club for no apparent reason ( all on cctv) but he had also been drinking , the incident was alcohol related......he was treated in A&E as though he had been in a fight (until I told the staff what had happened) but despite it all being recorded the police dropped charges against the perpetrator. My concern is that it would require staff, already busy, to make judgements about an incident. Proven assault of staff can result in prosecution and banning from hospital ( at least at the hospital I worked in) but it is rare unfortunately. Don't know the answer... :cry:

Five years ago I was admitted to the Queens Medical Centre Neurosurgical Centre after a brain haemorrhage, after my op I was put into a ward and the patient next to me had padded gloves on, he kept hitting the nurses and short of strapping him down it was the best option, after a few days another patient was trying to ring his wife but his phone would not work so I rang her and passed the phone to him, after that, we chatted a bit but one night there was an almighty noise and was him attacking the nurse.
I had anger issues after but having a strong wife meant I asked (I was told to ask or else) for help, still having treatment almost 5yrs later but you have met me a few times Sue so you know how calm I am 🙄
I am ashamed of how I was but thankfully it was anger, I was not aggressive or threatening but a lot of head injury patients are
edit: spelling error
Unfortunately there are prescription drugs which can cause aggression in some people....I have had a chap throw a chair through a window due to aggression caused by steroids ( same ones as used to treat covid, inflammation and chemo sickness) Also something as simple as a urine infection can make the elderly in particular confused and often aggressive. I was decked from an uppercut administered by an 80yr old (who used to box) when he was confused due to one of the prescribed meds. Also mental health issues can cause aggression, much harder to deal with or even identify at times. Staff do refuse treatment now if someone is a threat to them, but mostly it is known repeat offenders.
I can totally see what you mean, and i did try to differentiate between those who may be violent due to head injury/confusion,and those who are drunken oafs. I think what I should have said is that those who have the capacity to verbally threaten staff show their true nature/behaviour.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back