A word of Warning Weston Super Mare

There are signs, legality unconfirmed lol
Only road signs need comply with the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions. Car park, although public spaces, are not part of the road. Rather than be governed by TSRGD, parking in each car park is governed by the terms and conditions of use for that car park. You must be made aware of and agree to those T&Cs. This is usually done by way of signage, which must be clearly visible and of such form as to be readable. Since the majority of T&C notices are too length and/or in too small a font size to be read as you enter, there is a general principle that you must be given sufficient opportunity to get out of your vehicle, go to and read the T&Cs, decide to not accept them and to drive out of the car park without incurring a charge. The T&Cs are likely to be deemed 'unfair' (and hence unlawful) if you're not given that opportunity.

It may be more helpful if we knew which car park and what the violation code number on the PCN was.

Only road signs need comply with the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions. Car park, although public spaces, are not part of the road. Rather than be governed by TSRGD, parking in each car park is governed by the terms and conditions of use for that car park. You must be made aware of and agree to those T&Cs. This is usually done by way of signage, which must be clearly visible and of such form as to be readable. Since the majority of T&C notices are too length and/or in too small a font size to be read as you enter, there is a general principle that you must be given sufficient opportunity to get out of your vehicle, go to and read the T&Cs, decide to not accept them and to drive out of the car park without incurring a charge. The T&Cs are likely to be deemed 'unfair' (and hence unlawful) if you're not given that opportunity.
It is not unusual for only the most basic t's and c's to be quoted on the signage. Reference may be made to the Off-street Parking Order and accessible online. However these documents are many pages long, twenty or more pages is typical, and it is most unlikely that a driver about to park will go to these lengths. The prohibition of overnight parking and sleeping is always included in these documents in my experience but not always made clear on the signage.

It would be interesting to contest a PCN issued in these circumstances.

I live here and never knew that. Beach race this weekend so it's going to be busy and the unwary will no doubt be penalised.

Attachments

• carpk.png
    carpk.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
P/S Going to park on Double Yellows with Double Yellow curb Markings might get five mins to drop off paperwork at council next time.or put broken down in windscreen gone to get help and watch when they walk off and get going if get caught tell them a engine fuse blew make sure I have pack fuses and a blown one lol

Hippy, you've got a blue badge right? Double yellow is fine if not causing an obstruction.

P/S Going to park on Double Yellows with Double Yellow curb Markings might get five mins to drop off paperwork at council next time.or put broken down in windscreen gone to get help and watch when they walk off and get going if get caught tell them a engine fuse blew make sure I have pack fuses and a blown one lol
I wouldn't chance it. My son in law is a local taxi driver. He got fined £60 for stopping to drop off a customer. Less than a minute.

Thank you mid4did for the photo yes I live here and have used car park before Silver pug 6mtrs long used as daily vehicle have both forum stickers in rear windows

Do Not Park in council parks with Motorhome/Camper You wil get ticket even with blue badge .I have now learnt this OUCH!!!!
Yes give WSM a miss unless you freepark in the hinterland and take a stroll to the seafront. Freeparking on Burnham on Sea promenade from 1st october, but, at the western end it seems to be minimim £6.
Privately owned someone told me yesterday.

Yes give WSM a miss unless you freepark in the hinterland and take a stroll to the seafront. Freeparking on Burnham on Sea promenade from 1st october, but, at the western end it seems to be minimim £6.
Privately owned someone told me yesterday.
Whoops! A mastake!!
WSM looks like £6 min payment at the western end of the prom, not Burnham on Sea.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back