A view about the NC500.

It seems from what I am hearing that there are many varied issues causing problems for the NC500.
But it also seems yet again that we alone are being singled out for "special" treatment.
Also the NC 500 is not indicative of the rest of Scotland.
Yes let's ban motorhomes, but let the car drivers with tents continue to wreck the place.
Has no one figured out that the vast majority of people in tents have not walked tens of miles to their camping spots.
They have parked up their cars somewhere for the night, yet it seems that we alone parking for the night are an issue.
Also they have no toilet facilities, why does no one ask were all their human waste ends up.
Honestly last time I was up there there were at least 40-50 cars for every motorhome.
But then cars seem to be invisible, whilst we stand out like soar thumbs.:(

Last edited:
I drove from Mull via Skye to Inverewe then took the A835 down to the A9 during most of last week.
It was stupidly busy as usual at Fort Willliam, I felt sorry for the spoonfeds that can’t think for themselves queuing for the tap at Morrisons, you would think it was the only tap on the planet!

However once on the road North I was amazed how few vans were heading the same way, lay-by after lay-by was empty we stopped at a few places I had identified on google maps which I prefer rather than the sites that people flock to via the apps and again nobody about.

The fantastic Firemore Beach was nearly empty and quite spectacular however that may have had something to do with the wind and horizontal rain!

What I did notice was how many vans were heading in the opposite direction it was roughly 5-6 vans for every other vehicle, at one point we counted 11 before seeing a car. However again that may have had something to do with the wind and horizontal rain, I reckon it was a mass escape.

we are often up there this time of year and we’ve never had any issues.

I did encounter a different type of tourist, a bunch of Europeans in expensive sports cars covered in Canonball run type stickers were racing around the NC500 circuit. We saw them several times In various honeypot car parks

About ten of the cars caught us up at New Lanark last weekend, and despite their obvious wealth not one of them paid for parking, so I guess freeloading comes in all shapes and forms!

Interesting that one of the biggest campaigners AGAINST WildCamping was a campsite owner!!
Obviously he was being completely objective about the argument and it was purely coincidental that he would benefit from forcing people to use only recognised official campsites.

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

I drove from Mull via Skye to Inverewe then took the A835 down to the A9 during most of last week.
It was stupidly busy as usual at Fort Willliam, I felt sorry for the spoonfeds that can’t think for themselves queuing for the tap at Morrisons, you would think it was the only tap on the planet!

However once on the road North I was amazed how few vans were heading the same way, lay-by after lay-by was empty we stopped at a few places I had identified on google maps which I prefer rather than the sites that people flock to via the apps and again nobody about.

The fantastic Firemore Beach was nearly empty and quite spectacular however that may have had something to do with the wind and horizontal rain!

What I did notice was how many vans were heading in the opposite direction it was roughly 5-6 vans for every other vehicle, at one point we counted 11 before seeing a car. However again that may have had something to do with the wind and horizontal rain, I reckon it was a mass escape.

we are often up there this time of year and we’ve never had any issues.

I did encounter a different type of tourist, a bunch of Europeans in expensive sports cars covered in Canonball run type stickers were racing around the NC500 circuit. We saw them several times In various honeypot car parks

About ten of the cars caught us up at New Lanark last weekend, and despite their obvious wealth not one of them paid for parking, so I guess freeloading comes in all shapes and forms!
Thanks for the excellent post but I do find the spoon fed comment a tad unfair.
Many who Motorhome are inexperienced or even using hired vans. Also about one third of the vans up here are from Europe, with little knowledge of Scotland. They rely on web sites for information. I just feel it’s wrong to talk about people as if they are all idiots, we are all capable of being spoon feds at times, we all make mistakes, and lack local knowledge and experience at times. If folk want to queue for water then so long as they have permission to do so fair play to them.

Last edited:
Interesting that one of the biggest campaigners AGAINST WildCamping was a campsite owner!!
Obviously he was being completely objective about the argument and it was purely coincidental that he would benefit from forcing people to use only recognised official campsites.

Good to see you posting Dave. I hope all is well?

The locals despise this particular individual as well, and he apparently drives out at night and blows his car horn next to any campers in off road spots..
(I was up there last week, farm working with a very good friend who owns a large croft nearby - I have been going for over 30 years - interesting to get a residents view)
One negative of the nc500 for locals, is they cannot get any carers into the area, due to a lot of reasons, one of which is the congestion during peak periods.
The biggest source of their anguish is the fact that campers dont pull over when they should on the single track roads. Other than that, they take a typical Highland view - dont really care one way or another!!

Attachments

• 20230915_111928.jpg
    20230915_111928.jpg
    800.4 KB · Views: 56

I have been trying to get his site taken of search for sites. I and others have posted unfavourable comments about him and asked for his site to be removed. I have emailed them twice, but sadly our posts are removed and my emails ignored.

The locals despise this particular individual as well, and he apparently drives out at night and blows his car horn next to any campers in off road spots..
(I was up there last week, farm working with a very good friend who owns a large croft nearby - I have been going for over 30 years - interesting to get a residents view)
One negative of the nc500 for locals, is they cannot get any carers into the area, due to a lot of reasons, one of which is the congestion during peak periods.
The biggest source of their anguish is the fact that campers dont pull over when they should on the single track roads. Other than that, they take a typical Highland view - dont really care one way or another!!

What an utterly sad b**s*** if that's true.

You really need to feel pity for him, he obviously has some severe mental health issues, poor bugha :cool:

What an utterly sad b**s*** if that's true.

You really need to feel pity for him, he obviously has some severe mental health issues, poor bugha :cool:
A self entitled tit comes to mind. I feel more pity for the slugs that I kill before they gobble all me veg than I do for people like him.

Hey Kiddo, just expanded the veg patch ready for next year. Gained 40' x 6' just by thinning the hedge. At this rate I will be turning into flipping veggytinarian!:LOL:

Oops, hijacked the thread.......sorrrreeee.

It seems from what I am hearing that there are many varied issues causing problems for the NC500.
But it also seems yet again that we alone are being singled out for "special" treatment.
Also the NC 500 is not indicative of the rest of Scotland.
Yes let's ban motorhomes, but let the car drivers with tents continue to wreck the place.
Has no one figured out that the vast majority of people in tents have not walked tens of miles to their camping spots.
They have parked up their cars somewhere for the night, yet it seems that we alone parking for the night are an issue.
Also they have no toilet facilities, why does no one ask were all their human waste ends up.
Honestly last time I was up there there were at least 40-50 cars for every motorhome.
But then cars seem to be invisible, whilst we stand out like soar thumbs.:(
Yes indeed, could'nt agree more. Several local rags stirring up the local folk with exagerrated and sometimes untrue stories.

And how many campsite owners are on the various parish and local councils but are still allowed to vote for their own anti campervan parking motions?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back