A safe stop between Glasgow and Oban

landrovereditor

We are driving up from Glasgow to Oban and would like to spend a couple of nights wild camping, plenty of stops are marked on the POI‘s along the route but has anyone actually stayed the night in them. Any recommendations please. Thanks.

Depends what you are looking for in a stop over. But if you are looking for a nice spot where you could go for a meal then try the carpark near to the Rod and Reel in Crianlarich It’s about half way between Glasgow and Oban, and it’s a large carpark. Also head up Pullpit Hill when you get to Oban, the views up there are worth the effort.

IMG_6471.jpeg

We are driving up from Glasgow to Oban and would like to spend a couple of nights wild camping, plenty of stops are marked on the POI‘s along the route but has anyone actually stayed the night in them. Any recommendations please. Thanks.
Recently stayed in the Loch Awe train station carpark shown on WEBSITE BLOCKED BY ADMIN. Quiet, no view but somewhere good to eat walking distance. Would recommend.

Probs about 6 years ago. Haven’t ventured down there since, May well have improved.
I was thro last May & it generally looked quite decent then. Not much litter as I recall. Of course that's no guarantee of the state of things this year but I'd be optimistic.

Try the marina at Largs. Large car park dedicated for motorhomes, quiet an public loo a distance away. Stayed there 2 weeks ago

Largs is a long way off Glasgow to Oban route!! (But thanks for the tip..)
Try the Green Welly Stop at Tyndrum, free parking, reasonably quite at night, cafe and gift shop and toilets. About 1 and a half hours drive from Glasgow. also water tap at back of buildings.

Last edited:
Try the Green Welly Stop at Tyndrum, free parking, reasonably quite at night, cafe and gift shop and toilets. About 1 and a half hours drive from Glasgow. also water tap at back of buildings.
Or if you prefer a quiet stop. About a mile south of a Tyndrum there’s a sign for Dalrigh. Nice wee carpark in there with a walk down to the river😉 There’s a couple of nice Forestry car parks between Tyndrum and Oban.

We've stayed there many times and of course you can get a breakfast in the morning.

Only very well heeled folks can afford breakfast in such an establishment🤑

I've had breakfast up the road as well Cal before now, but having had a free nights stopover I feel obliged to spend something in the Green Welly and I can think of nothing better than spending on a fry up.

Having said that, I shouldn't really feel obliged as Julie spends a fortune in the shop on gifts and other such nonsense!

The other Tyndrum one is the top-end of the car park at the TJs Diner and the Real food Cafe which is a good place to stop - we stayed there at Easter time for a night and a few others were staying over too. (It's in the Britstops book) Can thoroughly recommend the Real food Cafe for supper - we actually wanted to visit TJs when we were last there but they were closed and don't admit dogs either... (Which the RFC does)

-G

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back