A Fridge thread... Wooopeee

Glad the problem is solved.

Please can you detail where the thermistor is located and how it is replaced?

And where did you source the part?

My fridge is Thetford N3150. The Thermistor (pt nmbr - 623077 & bought via leisureshop. £27
IMG_20200428_220844.jpg
) is very simply clipped onto the 5th or 6th cooling vane in the main fridge cooling compartment. Held in place with a spring metal clip & at the other end easily unplugged from its electrical connection.

Thanks for information.

I recognise the part and I know where it fits.

What I don't understand is why failure of this prevented your fridge from cooling.

It controls the ignition sequence for the gas burner, and presumably switches the mains heater on.

You said that the gas burner was lighting and burning strongly. That will allow the absorption process to function and it should therefore cool.

If the thermistor had failed, depending on how it failed, I would have expected the burner either to fail to ignite or to burn continuously.

I'm puzzled ...

Yes. Agree. & I'm puzzled too. Only Clues I can offer is to say fridge was not cooling but exterior cooling vanes at rear of fridge were heated & doing their job showing gas & ehu were doing their job also. I'm wondering, & maybe some knowledgeable fridge engineer can advise, if the Thermistor also controls a valve to do with refrigerant circulation?

When our thermistor failed the burner was still working but the inside temp did not get cooler.

In refrigerators, the thermistor is a key part of the system that allows the refrigerator to stay within a short range of temperatures and turn on its cooling cycle when the temperature starts to rise. Problems with the thermistor will keep the refrigerator from operating correctly.

When our thermistor failed the burner was still working but the inside temp did not get cooler.

In refrigerators, the thermistor is a key part of the system that allows the refrigerator to stay within a short range of temperatures and turn on its cooling cycle when the temperature starts to rise. Problems with the thermistor will keep the refrigerator from operating correctly.
Thanks guys & I think I understand this. The fact that if fridge is not cooling then Thermistor will keep telling heat source (gas or ehu) to keep going. What I don't know is why, if heat source is on the refrigerant is not cooling the fridge. The only thing I can come up with is that the Thermistor also operates a valve controlling refrigeration circulation.
A conundrum..... 🤔👋

The thermistor is in effect a thermostat.

I moved it to a different fin inside my fridge to make it control the fridge more efficiently.

From what we know I suppose it's possible there's a valve controlling the circulation of refrigerant. But if so, why?

Bit of further info after speaking to a retired refrigeration engineer. In 'Absorbtion' fridges, which moho fridges mainly are, the 'liquid' in the system is made up of two components which heating separates & then they 're-absorb'. It is common for these type of fridges, at times, to NOT re-absorb. An example would be the fridge being unused & static for some time. One way of re-mixing' is to turn fridge upside down.
I think this is probably what happened to my fridge. The components of the refrigerant liquid separated & me switching off the whole fridge for a few days somehow allowed 're-absorbtion' back to a good refrigerant liquid.
In theory it should therefore work if I put the old Thermistor back in. No, I aint gonna try it. Fridge is now working fine, ie... it aint broke.... so I aint doin no more fixin.... 🤣😂🤣

The thermistor is in effect a thermostat.

I moved it to a different fin inside my fridge to make it control the fridge more efficiently.
I used a different approach: I fitted a fan inside the fridge to move the air around. This has the effect of distributing the cold more evenly when the fridge is full, and it makes the thermistor more accurate.
The fan is on the same circuit as the vent fans.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back