A dreaded generator question

Moonraker 2

I recently posted a question about getting heating in my little van. Thanks for some suggestions but I have not had much success. One garage only does full conversions, one garage was in Scotland and one garage never replied.

The dreaded (love em or hate em)generator question? Should I get one for occasional power to run small electric heater. I can't see a situation where I would run it all night.

I know some of you have generators but i have not been able to get the information I need.
Therefore: can you get small generators? Quiet ones? Are they easy to use? Best place to buy and rough price guide.

Thanks very much.

If you don’t mind causing annoyance to others a generator may solve your problem. Otherwise a campsite with hook up would also solve it.
No such thing as a “quiet” generator, and you get the additional problem of transporting petrol.

Diesel night heaters on ebay from £100 , there are all in one units so no DIY fitting other than ex & air inlet.
Bit big at 5kw but can be turned down or of when warmed up.
night heater a.png

Try looking for VW motor caravan converter near you I am sure you will find a converter will give you a price ask for heater to be fitted under the van above the splash shield..

Alf

I recently posted a question about getting heating in my little van. Thanks for some suggestions but I have not had much success. One garage only does full conversions, one garage was in Scotland and one garage never replied.

The dreaded (love em or hate em)generator question? Should I get one for occasional power to run small electric heater. I can't see a situation where I would run it all night.

I know some of you have generators but i have not been able to get the information I need.
Therefore: can you get small generators? Quiet ones? Are they easy to use? Best place to buy and rough price guide.

Thanks very much.

Take no notice of the usual negative comments that get posted by the anti generator brigade, used sensibly as I do they are not a problem.
As others have mentioned there are Loads of companies who will fit you an onboard heating system be it diesel or gas, the best solution without doubt.
If you do have to buy a generator I have always had Honda and mine has never let me down. Expensive but like most things you get what you pay for imho.
I presently carry a Honda EU10i to just use in an emergency in winter, lightweight and it takes up very little space in the garage.

Hi ya,
If you don’t mind causing annoyance to others then a Diesel Heater might solve your problem.
It’s certainly Cheaper to run for long periods than a generator.
Some Generator installations are a lot quieter than say a vehicle engine running or even day time background noise if installed correctly, but to run them for long periods for primary heating 🤔🤔🤔, Maybe not a good solution! 🤷🏻‍♂️.
I done some decibel tests early last year as a visual comparison that a lot of this ‘Generator Noise’ argument can be exaggerated at times.
I will try & find the thread & post it.
Although the annoying sound of the jet engine exhaust of the Diesel Heater on Startup & as it cycles during use the Bottom line is running cost,,it’s cheaper to But & run for your intended use I would think 🤔.

The trouble is petrol ages and will cause damage if it is left unused for months on end.

I use this additive and can leave my generator, lawnmowers hedgetrimmers etc, etc for months with fuel in the tank and they all start after 2/3 pulls.

We've got wet central heating so we are spoiled.

Our first caravan (1973) had no heating. We used a gas catalytic heater ( No fumes, no dangerous CO2, no flames.) Seems an ideal choice for MoHo heating. Anyone else remember them and are they still available?

Thanks very much.
Try Rich at, hello@BeyondTheVan.com he travels all arround doing conversions and installs to vans,also spraypainting and has a good rep.

Take no notice of the usual negative comments that get posted by the anti generator brigade, used sensibly as I do they are not a problem.
As others have mentioned there are Loads of companies who will fit you an onboard heating system be it diesel or gas, the best solution without doubt.
If you do have to buy a generator I have always had Honda and mine has never let me down. Expensive but like most things you get what you pay for imho.
I presently carry a Honda EU10i to just use in an emergency in winter, lightweight and it takes up very little space in the garage.

We had a corker several months back at the donington world superbikes. Family of 3 in a VW T5 with an awning, had a generator and their engine running pretty much the entire weekend. Only stopping to refuel the genny.

We were all hammered, plus it's at the end of the airport runway, so not exactly quiet, so sleeping was no problem. I was more just curious as to what on earth they could have had that required so much juice.

I had visions of someone running a sun bed whilst frying chips and drying their hair

Thanks very much.

Propex or similar? Easy enough to install (even I managed it)

Nope,,,Can’t find what I wanted but the best I can do is look on the -
Pros & cons of full timing Board, page 13 of 20 has a cpl of Readings, I think that if you went back a few pages you might find more if you’re interested

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back