A costly battery Boo-Boo ?

Another big problem is if the alt sees all the batteries at once you may bust the fan belt, to much load on the alt, best to rig less bats up with proper battery cable and a good relay and switch, so start enging with its own battery then bring reves up to about 1200 and flick the switch to connect the less bats, remember to kill the switch when you stop to isolate the starter battey, this is how mine is done, may not be the way many are but it works 100%.

Another big problem is if the alt sees all the batteries at once you may bust the fan belt, to much load on the alt, best to rig less bats up with proper battery cable and a good relay and switch, so start enging with its own battery then bring reves up to about 1200 and flick the switch to connect the less bats, remember to kill the switch when you stop to isolate the starter battey, this is how mine is done, may not be the way many are but it works 100%.
Too much memory required! I'd forget to turn it on, then another day I would forget to turn it off :D

I've got my B2Bs to come on (and go off) with different delay times to avoid a single big surge on the alternator. The first two come on after (IIRC) 7 seconds and then 14 seconds and the third one is on a longer delay plus needs a higher activation voltage so it tends to cut out if the van is idling in traffic (so less cooling airflow to the alternator). So a bit like a "B2B Booster". Seems like a good idea anyway:)
This is all automatic but I do also have a switch to stop them coming on at all if I want :)

Too much memory required! I'd forget to turn it on, then another day I would forget to turn it off :D

I've got my B2Bs to come on (and go off) with different delay times to avoid a single big surge on the alternator. The first two come on after (IIRC) 7 seconds and then 14 seconds and the third one is on a longer delay plus needs a higher activation voltage so it tends to cut out if the van is idling in traffic (so less cooling airflow to the alternator). So a bit like a "B2B Booster". Seems like a good idea anyway:)
This is all automatic but I do also have a switch to stop them coming on at all if I want :)

👍👌 🙂

For most thats the way to go, but can you switch in to use as a jump starter to pull someone else out of trouble, or start the van should the starter battery go down, lights left on etc.

For most thats the way to go, but can you switch in to use as a jump starter to pull someone else out of trouble, or start the van should the starter battery go down, lights left on etc.
If I had to ;)

(The B2B's are connected on their input and their output with 150A Anderson plugs, so I could in about 60 seconds bypass the B2B's by moving the plugs around and have the starter battery directly connected to the leisure batteries. never needed to do that.)

If I had to ;)

(The B2B's are connected on their input and their output with 150A Anderson plugs, so I could in about 60 seconds bypass the B2B's by moving the plugs around and have the starter battery directly connected to the leisure batteries. never needed to do that.)
Sounds good, my van still has the old factory block diode sys in place, so if i forget the switch she will still pump 13.7v to the batteries.
Only forgot once or twice but cottoned on a few miles up the road, i do a pre flight check before takeoff as most good pilots do. :unsure:

Sounds good, my van still has the old factory block diode sys in place, so if i forget the switch she will still pump 13.7v to the batteries.
Only forgot once or twice but cottoned on a few miles up the road, i do a pre flight check before takeoff as most good pilots do. :unsure:

The amount of hot air that's circulated around the forum for years I'm surprised nobody has taken up blinkin' ballooning by now!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ;) 😁

balloon trev.jpg

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:186)

2cv, r4dent, AllanD, andyjanet, iandsm, korky, trevskoda, Boris7, merl, colinm, RichardHelen262, Robmac, Ex Greeny, guerdeval, Jo001, CHAIRMAN, barryd, TJBi, Topmast, oppy, wildebus, MartinFife, kevlakes, st3v3, davep10000, Owen M, mistericeman, Fisherman, Val54, Rod, Fazerloz, tobym, alcam, TeamRienza, Bounce, Obanboy666, Neckender, pamjon, Martin P, Tim120, number14, Tonybvi, Canalsman, Bigshug, Wully, yeoblade, mark61, longtoedsloth, noarlunga, jann, zzr1400tim, Mossystone, mike w, Outdoors Dad, stonedaddy, Nabsim, yorkslass, mariesnowgoose, Charlynch, reiverlad, izwozral, keithlewis56, Mberry, RSD7a, Wardy73, knowledgeseeker, horlicks, Mick H, Andys, Alberto, ajb70, jagmanx, DTF, Bouydog, hamsterberg27, Elfit, topchook, Tapfitter, edina, Heppy, Chasn, marchie, Thistle, Alun100, Steveg70, runnach, ricc, 2Coops, Lioncrunch, Iomramh, Bubble, Budgie, Scotia, Admin, Tezza33, ewen, exwindsurfer, Hogweed, clarkpeacock, Steve and Julie, jacquigem, VandA, bentonaj, bmc, smg, WingNut, UFO, Debroos, silverbeard, The Raptor, alwaysared, Costers, bnb080, MrU, Dave7284, Wightman, Canonball, jeffmossy, Livotlout, matbic, witzend, MikeRS, RegnVal, rambrose, molly 2, The Jacks, BOTCANU, NSY, Wooie1958, Roy Laura, saxonborg, gasgas, Gerry Attrick, The laird, Ly085, lizard, GMJ, Pudsey Bear, iampatman, Andrewhr, helmit, belbri, Mtbcol, chrishunter, buellzebub, maxsdad, Sharon the Cat, adriahome, Okta, britcoms, Patandtubs, Lizzie, 1807truckman, rugbyken, ton27, DSR, campervanannie, Mountain, smb, Quiddle, freebird, Texastom, Frosty0558, caledonia, Alfie, BigBazza, Caz, trevexess, HurricaneSmith, DavieShrew, GillEntwistle, Curly, Headlight, Winterskp, Cass, RJH, Silew, mick n jules, Mikebike, Gabbro, roadroamer, davef, Steve, GeorgeK, Pandaman2020, Bazza1509,
Back