90 day fine

Fisherman, I have mistaken or misread your actions, my apologies. However I will not reinstate my post as it was contributing towards an off topic more political direction.

Regards,

Davy

From what I read a long while back is they can fine anyone for a overstay of 90 days but can only deport them if they have been working...
I've been back and fro to the eu over the last few years and the look on their face when they see all the stamps in my passport is hilarious, just watching them trying to add it up .
It will be digital soon and the fun will be over....

Reactions: REC
From what I read a long while back is they can fine anyone for a overstay of 90 days but can only deport them if they have been working...
I've been back and fro to the eu over the last few years and the look on their face when they see all the stamps in my passport is hilarious, just watching them trying to add it up .
It will be digital soon and the fun will be over....
It depends on the country you exit from, each country can apply their own rules on punishments. But I reckon it’s safe to assume the worse. It may depend also how long the overstay was, and if they reckon you erred. IE forgot about February 29 on a leap year, or some other simple mistake.

Here’s an article worth looking at Drover.

It depends on the country you exit from, each country can apply their own rules on punishments. But I reckon it’s safe to assume the worse. It may depend also how long the overstay was, and if they reckon you erred. IE forgot about February 29 on a leap year, or some other simple mistake.

Here’s an article worth looking at Drover.

Sounds like that €198 fine in France is quite lenient.

Spain I bet will be the one that catches a few out that think they can try it on.

Fines for staying over 90 days in the EU​

Overstaying your limit in the EU also means risking a fine. This can be levied along with other penalties and the amount depends on the country.

In Italy, you might have to pay between €5,000 and €10,000. In Germany, a fine of up to €3,000 is possible while in Spain it can range from €500 to €10,000.

Sounds like that €198 fine in France is quite lenient.

Spain I bet will be the one that catches a few out that think they can try it on.

Fines for staying over 90 days in the EU​

Overstaying your limit in the EU also means risking a fine. This can be levied along with other penalties and the amount depends on the country.

In Italy, you might have to pay between €5,000 and €10,000. In Germany, a fine of up to €3,000 is possible while in Spain it can range from €500 to €10,000.

My that seems hefty Barry.
But let’s be clear here for the vast majority of the public this has no bearing whatsoever. This really only applies to those of us with vans who go abroad, people with homes in the EU, or folk wishing to work there. For the vast majority holidaying there for a couple of weeks they may well even be totally ignorant of this. But these figures are eye watering. It should also be noted that this 90 day rule applies to most countries.

Are we really getting back into the old Brexit/anti Brexit arguments that was banned along with politics??

I have reported my rhetorical question and asked Phil to remove it.

Apologies for my stupidity, I should have realised it would stimulate this debate.

Last edited:
The politics of Brexit are long behind us.

We voted out, what ever comes from that is now beyond our control, we just need to get on with it.

Last edited:
If you are married to a person who has the Right to unlimited travel in the Schenegen area then as partner you have no full legal rights beyond the 90 days.
BUT
The guidance to border guards details have specific examples of your been allowed 90 days in any one country in 180 days, so 90 in say Portugal and then 90 in Spain is detailed as allowed.
The Schenegen rules have NOT been changed only the Guidance to Border Guards.
This is the answer I received from " Visit Europe " after asking for clarification of the rules.
They advised keeping documents to show that you travelled together.
It can depend on the country.
As my late father was born in Estonia, by that country's rules of Jus Sanguinis, I am automatically classed as a citizen of Estonia, as is my wife (who has absolutely no links to Estonia other than through our marriage).
This is all quite handy!

My that seems hefty Barry.
But let’s be clear here for the vast majority of the public this has no bearing whatsoever. This really only applies to those of us with vans who go abroad, people with homes in the EU, or folk wishing to work there. For the vast majority holidaying there for a couple of weeks they may well even be totally ignorant of this. But these figures are eye watering. It should also be noted that this 90 day rule applies to most countries.
It's also a bugger for those who have settled children and grandchildren living there.

It's also a bugger for those who have settled children and grandchildren living there.
Our Neighbours bought a house in southern Spain in 2012. They used to head there for 4 months after Christmas. They can’t do this now without a lot of hassle, so they just do the 90 days now. His wife tried for an Irish passport but was refused due to dates being wrong. They were thinking of selling up and retiring there, but due to the changes have decided to remain here. It’s a lovely flat by the sea, with a golf course near bye. We have not stayed there but met them on a visit in 2014.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back