31 Forest sites (Scotland) open again from 26 April (6pm to early AM only).

Got to be perfectly frank here.
Yes it’s great that we are being allowed to stay an evening, but what about during the day. It’s sadly us being treated differently from cars yet again. So if I fancy doing a Munro from a forestry car park I will have to take my car, but if I take my Motorhome that’s not on, well sorry for being a party pooper, but that’s not on.
Surely if we want to arrive in the morning and leave the following morning that should be ok. I hope Cameron has got this wrong, or I am barking up the wrong tree.

Last edited:
I think the intention is to prevent people setting up a camp during the daytime and using it like a camp site - parking to go walking or whatever is certainly not being stopped and I do this all the time for mountain biking on the 7 stanes forest sites. I think the forestry organisation should be encouraged and given a bit of leeway to set some ground rules that will make it better for all of us.

I think the intention is to prevent people setting up a camp during the daytime and using it like a camp site - parking to go walking or whatever is certainly not being stopped and I do this all the time for mountain biking on the 7 stanes forest sites. I think the forestry organisation should be encouraged and given a bit of leeway to set some ground rules that will make it better for all of us.

I would hardly think remaining for 24 hours and leaving early in the morning is a problem. My point is we all pay the same taxes why should we be treated differently from other road users during day time. My main reason for parking at one of these car parks would be to do a hill or a walk from them in daytime. Quite frankly I would have little use for them otherwise. All I am asking for is to be treated the same as other road users, I can see no reason why we should be treated differently from everyone else. I would actually prefer access during the day, then moving off after I had completed my walk.

I would hardly think remaining for 24 hours and leaving early in the morning is a problem. My point is we all pay the same taxes why should we be treated differently from other road users during day time. My main reason for parking at one of these car parks would be to do a hill or a walk from them in daytime. Quite frankly I would have little use for them otherwise. All I am asking for is to be treated the same as other road users, I can see no reason why we should be treated differently from everyone else. I would actually prefer access during the day, then moving off after I had completed my walk.

But there are others who would maybe welcome the chance to stay overnight, Bill?
People have different preferences, and if this addresses a need in an inexpensive (and legal!) way, surely it can only be a good thing?

Not sure I understand - we are not being treated any differently at all - they have not said anywhere you cannot park there during the day. I believe FLS are far more in tune with our interests than many local councils.

But there are others who would maybe welcome the chance to stay overnight, Bill?
People have different preferences, and if this addresses a need in an inexpensive (and legal!) way, surely it can only be a good thing?

Marie I have been parking at these carparks since getting my first van in 2016. I was never aware that we were not welcome there during daytime. I don’t recall seeing any signs stating that I could not park there during the day. I have seen signs stating no overnight parking, but never no daytime parking. I hope this is an error, and that common sense will prevail.

Not sure I understand - we are not being treated any differently at all - they have not said anywhere you cannot park there during the day. I believe FLS are far more in tune with our interests than many local councils.

Dave both the title of this thread, and Cameron McNeish state that we can park between 1800 and 0800 hrs. I sincerely hope that this is not the case.

It would appear that Cameron McNeish has erred here. I have just read through the guidance from last years trial period, and no reference whatsoever is made to daytime parking. You are not expected to arrive after 1800 hrs, but they do ask you to leave by 0800 hrs next morning. You are free to park up during the day and remain for one night.

Stay the Night update​

Our Stay the Night trial has now ended. The participating car parks have now reverted to no overnight parking permitted, in line with all our car parks.
We have had an overwhelming response to the trial and have received a lot of feedback covering a range of views. This feedback, together with our experience of managing the trial, will be factored in to our discussions as we consider future options for 2021 and beyond.
We would like to think everyone who has taken part and who has taken the time to offer comment.

Looks like we will have to wait for better clarification on this one then. 🤷‍♀️

Hopefully they'll be updating the information on their website before the 26th April - which is only 12 days away! :oops:

Dave both the title of this thread, and Cameron McNeish state that we can park between 1800 and 0800 hrs. I sincerely hope that this is not the case.
Probably my error in the title of the thread as well! - apologies.
I have used them quite a bit, and often had very friendly chats with the forest rangers, in fact one very local to me has said they will turn a blind eye to people staying longer.
As usual, the rules are there in case they see people abusing the system, but in 99% of the time, they dont need to enforce them.

Probably my error in the title of the thread as well! - apologies.
I have used them quite a bit, and often had very friendly chats with the forest rangers, in fact one very local to me has said they will turn a blind eye to people staying longer.
As usual, the rules are there in case they see people abusing the system, but in 99% of the time, they dont need to enforce them.

Sounds like common sense to me Dave. When I read the title I was gobsmacked, then when I listened to Cameron McNeish I thought surely not.
Yes this is great news, and I wrote to the forestry commission last year thanking them for this trial. I received a reply a few days later stating that they were pleased both with our response, and our behaviour, and that they hoped to continue it this year, which they now have.

Looks like we will have to wait for better clarification on this one then. 🤷‍♀️

Hopefully they'll be updating the information on their website before the 26th April - which is only 12 days away! :oops:

Marie I don’t know what Cameron NcNeish is going on about not arriving before 1800 hours. We have always been welcome to park during the day unless barriers or signage stated otherwise. And I cannot remember ever not gaining access to any forestry carpark during the day. Therefore I don’t think anything requires clarification. If CM was correct then this would amount to worsening of our rights to park, not an improvement.

Not on the website am I missing something https://forestryandland.gov.scot/staythenight or wrong

It is not on the website but I received a message from the FLS press office which I posted prior to this thread going online. The stay the night information will be on the Forestry and Land Scotland website near or even on the 26th April 2021. I have spoken to the press office to confirm this information.

This is the message I received to pass on to Motorcaravanners:-

As you know, last year’s ‘stay-the-night’ trial for self-contained campervans and motorhomes was offered at 30 FLS managed car parks and was met with an overwhelmingly positive response.

• With staycations likely to continue to be the main holiday option this year, we will run a further trial starting on 26 April, when COVID-19 restrictions for overnight stays are scheduled to be lifted in Scotland.

• This second trial – with at least 31 sites (and potentially a few more), details online from 26 April - will be run along similar lines to last year’s and will help accommodate the expected high levels of demand and help alleviate the anticipated pressures on the tourism sector arising from high visitor numbers.

• For this trial, we will also be introducing a small charge at half a dozen sites. This will help us gauge how best to manage this element of the offer, in line with our original plans as announced last year.

We are not yet in a position to offer Stay-the-Night as a permanent feature and this second trial will also help inform our decision.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back