3 Trio 12GB data sim

Thanks for that Jennie.

Ordered one to supplement our data allowance on the mobiles, both on Giff Gaff, both unlocked with 1gb monthly but this will be enough to keep us connected when needed.

Cheers

H

Do I need a mi-fi unit?

I have an old mobile (HTC Wildfire S) that can be set up as a portable wi-fi hotspot.

May only be 3G though.

Do I need a mi-fi unit?

I have an old mobile (HTC Wildfire S) that can be set up as a portable wi-fi hotspot.

May only be 3G though.

I've never tried a data sim in a phone but I honestly can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work in the same way. Maybe someone else has tried it and will pop in to confirm.
The sim works for both 3G and 4G devices... my mi-fi is 3G.

Edit to say... I've just tried my Trio sim in an old unlocked phone of my own and it worked fine :)

Last edited:
I've just tried my Trio sim in an old unlocked phone of my own and it worked fine

I've a 4g capable device but rarely get it while away so IMO may not be worth worrying about 4G
Thanks for the discount info bought one for replacing the one we have now

Do I need a mi-fi unit?

May only be 3G though.

If you go via the link given by Jennie there is a facility for checking compatibility as part of the ordering process.

Cheers

H

Do I need a mi-fi unit?

May only be 3G though.

There's a phone compatability checker on the page and it says that your HTC is compatible
htc.png

Sorry I didn't see that Winks had already mentioned the checker :bow:

This may be a better deal on Amazon though.

Regards,
Del

Last edited:
Hotspot

Do I need a mi-fi unit?

May only be 3G though.

In 2016 SIM as detailed in OP would not allow an iPhone 4S to be used as a portable Wi-Fi hotspot when outside UK.
In 2017 (post new roaming rules) the same SIM did allow the same 'phone to be used as a portable Wi-Fi hotspot outside UK.
I therefore assume you will still be able to use the HTC Wildfire S as a portable Wi-Fi hotspot both in & out of the UK now.

I've a 4g capable device but rarely get it while away so IMO may not be worth worrying about 4G
Thanks for the discount info bought one for replacing the one we have now

This deal only provides 4g in the UK, when abroad it's limited to 3g. However it's still fast enough for streaming films and watching TV on catch-up. Just back from a long trip away and it worked everywhere.

Thanks, just ordered one using discount code VC5 which gives 5% discount. Ordered through Quidco and got an addition 4% discount! I have an old android phone which I’ll try as a WiFi hotspot to save buying a mifi unit. If this works I will be delighted :D

I have an old android phone which I’ll try as a WiFi hotspot to save buying a mifi unit. If this works I will be delighted :D

Did it work? Today I put the Three mobile broadband SIM in my unlocked HTC Wildfire S (which according to the mymemory website is compatible) and although I get full bars it says 'No mobile network'.

Will go the the Three shop tomorrow if it does not start working before then.

Data only

Did it work? Today I put the Three mobile broadband SIM in my unlocked HTC Wildfire S (which according to the mymemory website is compatible) and although I get full bars it says 'No mobile network'.

Can you access data? E.g. open a web page.
It is a data only sim which may be why "no mobile network" is showing.

I decided not to use the old phone as I'd have to use the nano part of the SIM, the mifi device uses a standard.. if the SIM didn't work in the phone I'd be.sfuck with the wrong size SIM for mifi. I've decided to get an unlocked Huawei E5577 to be on the safe side.

I`ve found that a dedicated Mi-Fi unit gets a stronger / better data signal than a phone does in the same area :dance:

Tried it a few years back and the difference was very noticeable :rolleyes2:

Can you access data? E.g. open a web page.
It is a data only sim which may be why "no mobile network" is showing.

I can connect my iPad and mobile to the portable hotspot (old phone with the 3 Data SIM in it) but there is no internet access.

As you say it is a data only sim which may be why "no mobile network" is showing, but the phone is receiving texts, 2 from 3 and one I sent, and receiive incoming calls. Is this normal for a Data only SIM.

Hopefully all will be revealed when I visit the 3 shop this morning.

I decided not to use the old phone as I'd have to use the nano part of the SIM, the mifi device uses a standard.. if the SIM didn't work in the phone I'd be.sfuck with the wrong size SIM for mifi. I've decided to get an unlocked Huawei E5577 to be on the safe side.
I've always been really happy with a mifi unit, so good decision :) The sim size isn't an issue though... the three parts easily fit back together for whatever size your device uses. I always keep the whole template in case I need it.

@UFO I'm interested to see what Three come up with. Fingers crossed they sort it for you.

I spoke to a young man with a ‘manager’ badge whose first reaction was 3 block some data only SIMs from being used in a 'phone as they are intended for MiFi devices and tablets. I said I had checked the 'phone's compatibility on the website (mymemory) and it was shown as compatible and I could see no reason why 3 would prevent a data SIM from being used in 'phone. After some gentle protestation from me he reluctantly investigated the ‘phone’s settings, typed in some characters and it started working. I had already done this according to the information on http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI...nternetapps,varset_subcat=3582,Case=obj(3586)
but it did not work for me.

However all is good now. Let's see how it works in the wilds of Ireland over the next four weeks!

Glad they got it sorted for you UFO and well done for sticking to your guns :) Good luck with your Ireland trip... I usually get a signal on mine in Donegal county, so fingers crossed.

I ended up buying a Huawei E5573 from eBay for £36. It seems to be working fine with the 12gb 3 data sim, the real test will be when we go abroad in a few weeks. The only problem I have is, how do you know how much data you have left? Can anyone help please?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back