240v socket

iampatman

We have one of these in our Motorhome D476300B-6868-414C-9229-90AB747AB5C6.jpg
which invariably ends up looking like this 65BB2A15-957D-4E99-BA9F-733C77A1984C.jpg.

Can anybody foresee problems if I replace the single socket with something like this? 544B09CF-9150-4B2B-BE7F-6C55269DA727.jpeg

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Pat

We have one of these in our Motorhome View attachment 63310
which invariably ends up looking like this View attachment 63311.

Can anybody foresee problems if I replace the single socket with something like this? View attachment 63312

Pat

Hi ya,
It’s NOT a problem replacing the Single socket with a Double Socket at all if you have the space for it to fit.

It’s the Fuse & Cable that FEEDS the sockets that has to be able to supply the LOAD that may be Demanded or Drawn from the Now New Double Socket that has to be considered.
Eg
Existing Cable feeding original single Socket with Say a Kettle plugged in ‘May’ require 2000w from the Cable = lets say 8 Amp.
Then Same Fuse & Same Cable NOW feeding the NEW Double Socket with same Kettle in addition to Say a Toaster as well ‘May’ NOW require 13amp...
So just up grade the Fuse if Necessary but also cheak the Cable size is adequate as well !.
This is just Incase whoever else may ‘Assume’ it’s ok to Stick a Hairdryer on while waiting for their Morning Toast !.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have one of these in our Motorhome View attachment 63310
which invariably ends up looking like this View attachment 63311.

Can anybody foresee problems if I replace the single socket with something like this? View attachment 63312

Pat

An alternative (but more expensive) option is to get another CBE 240V socket and replace the single gang CBE inner frame and outer cover with a double gang version.
That would be very straightforward to do and keep the same appearance (if that is a concern at all?)

I use a combination of both styles - household style where the sockets are not "on show" and CBE versions where they are.

Daft Question Time

Are new/newer vans wired with a ring main ?
Easy enough to find out but thought I'd ask.

Thanks, I already have what you suggest from Tesco, have a look at the second pic. Your other suggestion is what I’m looking to fit, thanks for the link.

Pat

Are new/newer vans wired with a ring main ?
Easy enough to find out but thought I'd ask.

Unlikely as there is no point. The idea of a ring is to increase the circuit capacity beyond that of a hookup.

OP - socket looks fine, make sure connections are tight :)

Yes.

Buy your double socket first, you will need I expect a deeper back box because of the extra electronics on the back

:wave:

Your right caus i fitted one to mother inlaws house to charge mobile and the back box was to shallow because the extra usb gubbins on face plate is deeper,but you could also if no room use a front face spacer plate to get round this,id also fit a cigy usb unit beside it running of hab battery as well for when wilding with no hook up.

Attachments

• cigy monitor.jpg
    cigy monitor.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 81
Your right caus i fitted one to mother inlaws house to charge mobile and the back box was to shallow because the extra usb gubbins on face plate is deeper,but you could also if no room use a front face spacer plate to get round this,id also fit a cigy usb unit beside it running of hab battery as well for when wilding with no hook up.

Thanks Trev, I’ve already fitted a ciggy/usb unit wired direct to LB with inline fuse.

Pat

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back