240/12 volt

martinmartin

Hi,son inlaw has 12 volt problem on fridge,works fine on240 so i looked at heater element and found only one element (10 mm diameter 200 mm long with a neg and pos wires coming off at the base,these are connected 240 and 12v by means of a rocker switch.my question is how can the element be both 240 and 12v.it gets hot instantly on 240 but not even warm on 12v? cheers. I applied a 12.7 dc to it so no bad connections.

Hi,son inlaw has 12 volt problem on fridge,works fine on240 so i looked at heater element and found only one element (10 mm diameter 200 mm long with a neg and pos wires coming off at the base,these are connected 240 and 12v by means of a rocker switch.my question is how can the element be both 240 and 12v.it gets hot instantly on 240 but not even warm on 12v? cheers. I applied a 12.7 dc to it so no bad connections.

Make and model of fridge might be helpful for diagnosis if possible.

Is it a 3 way fridge? Usually you only use the 12v when on the move, to maintain the temperature, and the fridge is already cool, well that's what I did.

never heard of an element that's both, but the 12v shouldn't be live unless the engine is running, so check voltage when it is

never heard of an element that's both, but the 12v shouldn't be live unless the engine is running, so check voltage when it is

Hi,its a two way fridge,a mains lead and a 12v lead which plugs into a cig lighter socket.A rocker switch determines wegther its off on 240 or 12,it works fine on mains but not 12v so expecting to find two heating elements i found only one with two brown wires coming off,they are wired to the 12v supply and 240 looking on ebay and the like there is no such thing as duel element.The lads trying to contact the seller as its brand new but at £90 I think its a chinese fake as the brand YTM isnt traceable on internet.

It seems likely that the element is solely 12v.
Driven directly from the cigarette lighter socket or via an inbuilt transformer when on 240v

Hi,its a two way fridge,a mains lead and a 12v lead .......... Reggio 12 _240 volts fridge , £230 on Amazon draws about 7 amps that is a battery killer so should only be used when engine is running .that is a big draw from a 12 v plug and will probably over heat .Have you checked the fuse inside the plug ,I would consider hard wiring with 10 amp fuse and switch to the Battery .it would be useful to know if it is a compressor fridge or an absorbshion .a compressor has a thermostat so uses less amps . Their is a short video on utube .

Last edited:
It seems likely that the element is solely 12v.
Driven directly from the cigarette lighter socket or via an inbuilt transformer when on 240v

The heater element is directly connected to both 12v and 240 via rocker switch there no transformer.

Hi,its a two way fridge,a mains lead and a 12v lead .......... Reggio 12 _240 volts fridge , £230 on Amazon draws about 7 amps that is a battery killer so should only be used when engine is running .that is a big draw from a 12 v plug and will probably over heat .Have you checked the fuse inside the plug ,I would consider hard wiring with 10 amp fuse and switch to the Battery .it would be useful to know if it is a compressor fridge or an absorbshion .a compressor has a thermostat so uses less amps . Their is a short video on utube .

I have taken off the element and connected it to 240 it works fine then when I connect it to 12v it doesnt,this is how it is wired on the fridge a single heating element to both 240 and 12v via a roccker switch.I think someone has taken 240 fridge and just attached a 12v lead and sold it as a two way,I do know 7 amps is a battery killer but the lad wouldnt listen when i told him to get a commpressor fridge.I can make it right by buying and fitting a 12v element alongside what believe to be a 240v element that fitted to the fridge already.

All sorted now,there was no 12 volt heating element on the fridge although it was marketed as having one(supplier Pontefract based wont answer email or phone)The 12 volt lead was wired to the 240 volt heating element so I bought a12v element and wired it alongside the 240v element and it works a treat,the supplier has 9 left usually bought by vee dub owners no offence by the way.thanks for your input also you was correct Mr brown there are no duel elements used on these fridges.

I would have contacted trading standards from the start,there seems to be lots of crap on the market for c/vans and caravans,most of it over priced and usless.

I would have contacted trading standards from the start,there seems to be lots of crap on the market for c/vans and caravans,most of it over priced and usless.

Trading standards can sometimes take years to put things right (seperate issue £3500 worth from experiance) so I have been there with them,a second hand part at £20 put it right and it was a pleasure to fix it.:hammer::hammer:

The heater element is directly connected to both 12v and 240 via rocker switch there no transformer.

Is that a disaster waiting to happen?
IMHO bin the dual connection pronto

EDIT - -late as usual! Glad you have it sorted out

Last edited:
Trading standards can sometimes take years to put things right (seperate issue £3500 worth from experiance) so I have been there with them,a second hand part at £20 put it right and it was a pleasure to fix it.:hammer::hammer:

I find the irish baseball bat method works here every time with tricky dickys.:hammer::lol-053:

Sound positively (pun intended :lol-053:) DEADLY in fact!

If the 240vac is connected to the same points (ie the element) as the 12vdc then these wires are feeding 240vac to the 12 vdc circuit wires.

Powering up a 12vdc circuit with 240v is a killer:scared:

Sound positively (pun intended :lol-053:) DEADLY in fact!

If the 240vac is connected to the same points (ie the element) as the 12vdc then these wires are feeding 240vac to the 12 vdc circuit wires.

Powering up a 12vdc circuit with 240v is a killer:scared:

Yes your correct,the 240 is connected to the 12v at the thermostat whats the solution?

I think a circuit diagram of what you have already is need to confirm that the two voltages are isolated from each other.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back