2 rings on my hob won't stay on

GMJ

Two of the rings on the hob in the MH are not staying on when lit. The gas comes through to them fine and they ignite as well. They can be turned down but when I release the knob they do not stay on.

I don't have the make/model of the hob to hand but its a standard fit on a 2017 Auto trail coachbuilt.

Any ideas? Is it a DIY fix or more?

Could it be the jets are blocked and need cleaned? Or maybe the thermocouple needs replaced?

• Thank You
Reactions: GMJ
Gas is coming through fine and the clicker is working fine as well as one ring still works 100%.

It sounds very much to be your thermocouple has had it's day. Not very expensive but may be a little fiddly to fit.

• Thank You
It is the thermocouple. If you can get the hob off you should see wires to each ring. If they are like mine the positive goes to a spade connector the negative to a split cylinder round an aluminium part of the burner. In my case it has always been the negative making poor contact. Take the split cylinder off the burner and clean the aluminium and the inside of the cylinder. Probably your starter battery has lots of excess electricians lube on the terminals, get a smear and wipe it on the cleaned surfaces. Reassemble and test. If not buy a new thermocouple.

We had this problem years ago and rather than fix it mid holiday we jammed the nob down with a stick from the ceiling until we got home and did what I said before. It has been fine since.

I think that one must have stopped working a while ago and its only recently that another has stopped working tbh.
Well I'd be getting 3 new thermocouples as once stripped out just as well to do the 3

yes ,find a way of holding the knob in ,this will override the t/couple .i've done this on a gas room heater, bit of wood and a strong magnet has held the knob in for over a year -i just can't be assed to fix it properly .

We had this problem years ago and rather than fix it mid holiday we jammed the nob down with a stick from the ceiling until we got home and did what I said before. It has been fine since.
I did the same fix on my fridge, a stick holding the gas knob in for two weeks because we were away somewhere, unfortunately the fridge is next to the habitation door so we had to keep taking it off to go out🤣

Isn't it wonderful that these truly expensive boxes are so well made.

I'm pretty sure that if they were not so badly designed and manufactured and in some cases badly fitted by the converter MoHo forums would not exist.

It is the thermocouple. If you can get the hob off you should see wires to each ring. If they are like mine the positive goes to a spade connector the negative to a split cylinder round an aluminium part of the burner. In my case it has always been the negative making poor contact. Take the split cylinder off the burner and clean the aluminium and the inside of the cylinder. Probably your starter battery has lots of excess electricians lube on the terminals, get a smear and wipe it on the cleaned surfaces. Reassemble and test. If not buy a new thermocouple.
I just 'wriggle' the connectors/cylinders and that seems to keep them going for a year or more, when I get a 'round tuit' I'll do a proppa job 😜

• Thank You
It's either a failed thermocouple on each, or its that the holes in the burner that point towards the thermocouple are blocked.
If two have failed at once, the latter is more likely.

Check that the nut behind the knobs are tight.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back