12v socket discharging

Caz

Help please from any knowledgeable bods out there.

The 12v socket in my van has suddenly taken to discharging things plugged into it instead of charging them up. It did it to my GPS on Friday night and has gone and done it to my phone today. Why?

Are you sure it is discharging them and just not working, as they would then nateraly drop power.

It must be working because the little red light on the thingy came on, the GPS had the picture on it till it went completely flat and the phone said "charging 13%" followed by "charging 11%" when I stopped and "charging 3%" when I got home. They're discharging much quicker then they would have done if I hadn't plugged them in.

I've plugged them in at home (phone on the PC and GPS on mains) and they are charging fine now so it must be the 12v socket in the van.

Last edited:
It must be working because the little red light on the thingy came on, the GPS had the picture on it till it went completely flat and the phone said "charging 13%" followed by "charging 11%" when I stopped and "charging 3%" when I got home. They're discharging much quicker then they would have done if I hadn't plugged them in.

I've plugged them in at home (phone on the PC and GPS on mains) and they are charging fine now so it must be the 12v socket in the van.

Maybe the "because the little red light on the thingy" needs replacing, if I guess your using an adaptor with a usb socket on it.

Last edited:
So it could be a faulty adaptor rather than the socket? I'll try another one, thanks.

There will be a one way diode in adapter which has failed letting the current go the other way,bit like a one way valve on a water pipe,change it all will be fine.

If you where using the same adapter then odds are it's packed up, I've had three 'cheap' ones go, one just packed up, another fell apart and the third started to melt!
I now only use the adapters from my TT's.

Yes I was, so it's good news, much cheaper to get a new adaptor than pay someone to sort out a dodgy socket! :D

It's the only long one I have, the newer stubby ones don't reach into the hole on the extension/adaptor lead to change it from 2 pin to cigar lighter.

I wonder, can you get USB/2 pin adaptors to save using two? Will have a scout round.

Not too sure if I'm allowed to do this, but I bought four of these to incorporate into my conversion (I have a few gadgets) and they are blooming brilliant!!!

3 Port 6.6A/33W USB Car Charger: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Also, as a back-up for when my phone battery is dying (dead useful if cycling) ...

EC Technology 2nd Gen Deluxe 22400mAh 3 USB Output: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I originally bought one for my daughter and was so impressed I got myself one ... I use it mostly for keeping my phone alive when geocaching on my bike if I'm using the phone's GPS and caching app.

Might be worth considering if you have high USB needs.

........................Also, as a back-up for when my phone battery is dying (dead useful if cycling) ...

EC Technology 2nd Gen Deluxe 22400mAh 3 USB Output: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I originally bought one for my daughter and was so impressed I got myself one ... I use it mostly for keeping my phone alive when geocaching on my bike if I'm using the phone's GPS and caching app.

Might be worth considering if you have high USB needs.

Yes, I also carry the EC charger wherever I go. Great piece of kit.

12 v or 5 v

Look a the home charger it will say 100 240 v input and under that it will be output. Samsung phone charger.

5volts at 2. amps
1/2 amp .5 amp = 500mv is no good for phone charging they get hot ie wasted energy . 20160605_194534.jpg

I have these fitted into dash from ebay,usb has 2 outputs 1a & 2a ,you can buy single or up to 3 devices,ie cigy socket and usb or a mix of 3 in one unit.

Attachments

• van g.jpg
    van g.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 91
I got a 500Ma one. It doesn't get hot. It seems to charge the phone up as quickly as the mains charger does. I must be doing something wrong!

Maybe your phone is posher than mine, assuming 500 Ma is the same as 0.5 amp. I get confused with decimals.

Smartphones charge between 250 and 850ma depending on what phone, what charger and what USB lead is used.
The cheap leads you get with crap from China will typically charge a phone at 250ma so if you have the screen on all the time, say for navigation the battery will discharge.
I use a genuine HTC lead now and my HTC One charges at 850ma.
The reason I know all this is I bought a USB 'Charge doctor' off eBay. It's got an LED screen on that reads amps and voltage.. handy thing.

Help please from any knowledgeable bods out there.

The 12v socket in my van has suddenly taken to discharging things plugged into it instead of charging them up. It did it to my GPS on Friday night and has gone and done it to my phone today. Why?

It will be the adaptor not the socket, the adaptor has a diode in it that has failed and is doing the opposite of what it should do i.e discharge rather than charge just change the adaptor job done set ya sat nav n tally ho away u go on your jollys:camper:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back