12v & 240v TV

Carrerasax

How much should one pay for one of these.
£400 seems a lot.
Is it Avari, if that’s right?
What are the best ones currently available?
Any experience/opinions out there?

There's a lot of 240v televisions which actually run on 12 volts if you look at their power lead and there's a small box in it check the voltage very often 240 in 12 out so you just get a new lead with the correct end to fit the television and wire it into your 12v supply when you need 240v used the lead which came with television. I've a JVC tele like this was £90

Edit been working fine for 7 years

Last edited:
You pays your money, you take your choice.
Makes like Avtex and Cello are made for MH and caravan use, this means they should be tolerant of wider voltage than a mains one less the brick, also in smaller sizes they can (on some models) have better features such as built in satellite and full HD which mains tv's of similar size rarely if ever have. Of cause if this isn't important to you then they are a waste of money.

Avtex are expensive but do have the advantage of being able to be viewed from a wider angle than most tvs. From what I've read their after sales service is top rate should you have any problems.

Check out the Cello, considerably cheaper than Avtex. Had mine 7+ yrs.

We have too and would heartily recommend it. Whilst the Avtex may be the dogs danglies, the price difference, to me anyway, is not worth the money, unless of course you are sensitive to brands that is. It's a telly

Cello etc on fleabay from around £130 up with cd player though these are a bit out of date as most use a pen drive,so look for a rear usb socket if films are your thing.

I recently bought a LG 22" about £150 because it is a HD Smart TV, Satellite TV tuner built in saves another black box to power up.
Smart works great for catch up on mobile phone hotspot.

All powered from a £5 plug in inverter if on 12V.

It has a 19v transformer in line so doubt it would run on 12v direct and a DC < Dc voltage changer would probably be as inefficient as the £5 plug inverter I use now so haven't bothered.

I’ve had both cello and avtex you do get what you pay for the avtex is better my cello is sitting in a box in the shed as a spare the picture on the avtex is a lot better and the viewing angle is great that suits a mh but the biggest difference I think is sound the cello sounded tinny if you decide to buy avtex buy from John Lewis you get a five year warranty with all TVs

didnt know you cpould play the cello wooley have toget it out of the shed and let us members hear you play it

I’ve had both cello and avtex you do get what you pay for the avtex is better my cello is sitting in a box in the shed as a spare the picture on the avtex is a lot better and the viewing angle is great that suits a mh but the biggest difference I think is sound the cello sounded tinny if you decide to buy avtex buy from John Lewis you get a five year warranty with all TVs

Me too, the Avtex is a better TV, picture and sound quality are ahead of the cello. I have also had to use the Avtex customer service which was outstanding.
A phone call Monday am,TV picked up by courier Monday pm,TV returned by courier fully repaired Wednesday am. It doesn't get any better.You get what you pay for.

I use a 22" Cello, it is quite a miser on the electric. :)

I have a 22” Cello that runs off built in rechargeable batteries at the expense of a DVD player. Has built in free view tv tuner and satellite tuner but not got satellite setup to try that. Picture is fine to my eyes but sound is a little tinny I suppose, saying that at home I have Sonos Platbase and a couple of Play ones linked together so expect any would sound a bit tinny. It’s not enough for me to bother with a separate speaker and in any case we don’t use it that much

Mine's an Avtex and still going strong after 7 years. If I'd known more about them at the time, I might have been tempted to buy a Cello. I think Cello use less power than mine but it's definitely true that the sound on the Avtex is so much better.

well on my cello you can alter the sound so if you haven't then you only have what it is setup as factory default and their sense of hearing is probably different to ours

sound1.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a 19" Bush TV/DVD from a shop that bought up Argos unsold stock (take note Snowgoose, it's the one in Stanley). £79.99 I paid and it was so good quality that I went back and bought a 22" for the Kitchen at home. It was £89.99. The picture is better quality than my Sony Bravia TV and the viewing angle is the best I have ever seen. The one fault I have with it is that I cannot get subttles to work on it.

I have 3 not one of them is a posh posh Avtex and I have had mine for a few years now the only thing I would say is get an led not lcd then viewing angle is not an issue thus making the extra wedge on an Avtex not needed :)

Me too, the Avtex is a better TV, picture and sound quality are ahead of the cello. I have also had to use the Avtex customer service which was outstanding.
A phone call Monday am,TV picked up by courier Monday pm,TV returned by courier fully repaired Wednesday am. It doesn't get any better.You get what you pay for.

But it broke!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back