Öland a place to visit in Sweden.

Kalleiviken

The island consists mainly of limestone formed 480 million years ago. The island has risen out of the sea after the ice age. In the southern part of the island there is a large limestone plain with sparse vegetation and a very thin soil layer. On the roads that go across the island there are many places to go wild. There are also several places to empty the latrine on the island.

IMG_2534.JPG
IMG_2624.JPG
IMG_2606.JPG
IMG_0114.JPG
Screenshot_20221130-213338-01.jpeg

If possible do not go near the caravan sites during the school holidays, very busy.
A beautiful island with wild orchids and Cowslips in abundance also an unusual windmill used for smoothing paving slabs! Do visit in May.

If possible do not go near the caravan sites during the school holidays, very busy.
A beautiful island with wild orchids and Cowslips in abundance also an unusual windmill used for smoothing paving slabs! Do visit in May.
Are you from Sweden? Or have you been to Öland? The southern part of the island is not as full of tourists in the summer as the northern part. I think early summer is the best time, flowers, nightingales and rape fields.

I'm from Essex!
After my wife and mother died in quick succession I needed to sort myself out. I went to Sweden, Finland and Norway for a six month trip by myself. I deliberately stayed away from busy places. The wildness areas are so different from the UK. In rush hour you can expect 2 cars an hour, perhaps seeing as many as 24 vehicles a day.
Vehicles and boats are left with the keys in the ignition, it is called " Trust or Respect " so different from here. Exactly what I needed though I can understand that the piece and quite would drive some people crazy.
From July 4th to October 6th I never stayed in the same place as anyone with a GB plate.
It was a life changing experience.
Finmark, the northern province of Norway is twice the area of Wales, in summer when it is ' crowded ' it has 250,000 people, in winter 70,000.
I could go on and on about it.
Do go but take your time.
Remember in these countries 90% of the population live in 10% of the area.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back