£35/night full disabled city centre accommodation :)

st3v3

Even had fridge, cooker etc. We stayed 2 nights 😎

20220626_174746.jpg

To explain being a dick, we really don't have any choice with the kit Tommy needs- hoist, toilet etc.

Nearest campsite is 2.5 miles, taxis in Weston suck anyway, but on the busiest weekend of the year, it's just not an option.

Would have cost you a helluva lot more to book in somewhere without wheels and with the facilities you need - that's if there is even anything like that available in Weston! (y) ;)

Fingers crossed they don't have wheel clamps though... :oops:🤞😎

Would have cost you a helluva lot more to book in somewhere without wheels and with the facilities you need - that's if there is even anything like that available in Weston! (y) ;)

Fingers crossed they don't have wheel clamps though... :oops:🤞😎

It was 2 weeks ago now, and I figured the amount they are allowed to charge wouldn't cover towing 7.5t away. Clamps? Too big, and I'm not sure the council can where not causing an obstruction...

Even had fridge, cooker etc. We stayed 2 nights 😎

View attachment 110311

To explain being a dick, we really don't have any choice with the kit Tommy needs- hoist, toilet etc.

Nearest campsite is 2.5 miles, taxis in Weston suck anyway, but on the busiest weekend of the year, it's just not an option.
I hope you appeal

AIUI, if the vehicle wasn't moved during the period covered by those tickets, then only a single, continuous offence was committed (at worst). So it should only be £35 for two nights 😉

This from PePiPoo, 2016:
It depends whether we are talking about the same offence committed multiple times or a continuous contravention over more than one day. In the first case you can expect to get one PCN every time you commit the offence. If your car has not moved then it counts as a continuous contravention and only one penalty should be demanded. However, many LAs are wilfully blind to this rule and insist they can issue a new PCN every 24 hours. There is simply nothing in law that provides for this. If you did NOT move your car, then ask for the CEO's notes and in particular his recording of the position of the tyre valves, which they are supposed to record as this gives a good indication of whether a car has moved or not.
PePiPoo continues with a reference to a successful appeal:
The key appeal case on continuous contravention is this one 2110166557 - go to Londontribunals.org.uk and search in the Register of Appeals.

(Clicky link to PePiPoo thread) Note also that experts on PePiPoo can often help if you upload images of the PCNs together with the back story.

I hope you appeal

AIUI, if the vehicle wasn't moved during the period covered by those tickets, then only a single, continuous offence was committed (at worst). So it should only be £35 for two nights 😉

This from PePiPoo, 2016:

PePiPoo continues with a reference to a successful appeal:

(Clicky link to PePiPoo thread) Note also that experts on PePiPoo can often help if you upload images of the PCNs together with the back story.

Geoff, I'm sorry, I feel like you've done a bit of research that I'd already done. My intention was to post the follow up, but got distracted by beer etc. with family.

I paid the first ticket, and appealed the second on the basis of it being a continuous contravention, I had the agreement to cancel that one this evening 😎

All joking aside this raises some really important issues.
The current disabled badge scheme has been abused by many, leading to issues like this. The respect and care due to those who use this scheme has been devalued. In my opinion we should have graded disability were the most disabled people receive more help than they currently do. I used to take my mother shopping and we had a blue badge for her. But other than old age she had no real discernible disability.
On one occasion we gave up our parking place for a man who’s wife was in a wheelchair and paraplegic. Someone in this position should be provided with special parking needs out-with normal disability arrangements. There’s a massive difference between being disabled and being severely disabled, yet the current scheme only caters for the generic term.
I think you should have been able to park for at least one night free from parking fines. What kind of society are we if we can’t make allowances for those who really need our help.
I do get your point about this being cheaper than a hotel, and I do admire your attitude, but you should not have been put in this position.

@Fisherman I agree. This particular car park is huge, and designated as lorry parking overnight, and coaches during the day. Even on this really busy weekend, there was loads of space.

It was also designated as NO motorhomes at any time, madness as we spent - no exaggeration - hundreds in cafes/bars/restaurants. The only thing we "cooked" in the truck was 4 cups of tea 😎

It would have been so easy to say we wouldn't bother at all with the weekend because of lack of facilities. I know we're unusual, but it really wouldn't hurt to allow a limited number of vans stay for a maximum of 2 nights. Everybody will spend something in the town.

@Fisherman I agree. This particular car park is huge, and designated as lorry parking overnight, and coaches during the day. Even on this really busy weekend, there was loads of space.

It was also designated as NO motorhomes at any time, madness as we spent - no exaggeration - hundreds in cafes/bars/restaurants. The only thing we "cooked" in the truck was 4 cups of tea 😎

It would have been so easy to say we wouldn't bother at all with the weekend because of lack of facilities. I know we're unusual, but it really wouldn't hurt to allow a limited number of vans stay for a maximum of 2 nights. Everybody will spend something in the town.
I just think it’s shameful and heartless that you had to pay for this.
As for your general point about Motorhome use in such situations, well I agree completely. But that’s a different issue in my honest opinion.
Anyway well done for getting out, and giving Tommy a better life, and hopefully a weekend to remember. But it’s just wrong that you should not have been able to do so unhindered by a system that simply does not do enough for the Tommies of this world, and for those who care for them.

Just a thought, could you park on a side road ( not causing an obstruction, of course) using the disabled badge, for an overnight? Since motorhomes banned in carpark? Not that you should have to, since either way your particular home is lorrylike...does it matter if anyone inside it, and presumably lorry drivers are allowed to overnight in their trucks?:unsure:,
I find the whole system a mystery...often illogical, discriminatory and pointless..but then some do take the pee and the rest pay!

Just a thought, could you park on a side road ( not causing an obstruction, of course) using the disabled badge, for an overnight?

That was my original plan, but it was too busy, even with us going straight from school on the Friday.

• Sad
Reactions: REC
I don't normally play the disability card, but I might have made an exception in this case as North Somerset Council could well be in contravention of the Equality Act, 2010. This requires them to make reasonable adjustments so disabled people can access goods, services, shops, venues, clubs, etc. (see CAB link below). Further -- you should not be required to pay for those adjustments. I'd argue that your truck is (or embodies) "essential equipment" to permit Tommy to access things mentioned in the Act and that permitting that truck to be parked close enough to the accessed facilities to perform the required functionality is "reasonable adjustment" as required by the Act. That said, IANAL but perhaps CAB could take this up on your behalf so that, at least, you'd be armed with a valid reason to have any further PCNs cancelled in similar circumstances anywhere in UK?...

I don't normally play the disability card, but I might have made an exception in this case as North Somerset Council could well be in contravention of the Equality Act, 2010. This requires them to make reasonable adjustments so disabled people can access goods, services, shops, venues, clubs, etc. (see CAB link below). Further -- you should not be required to pay for those adjustments. I'd argue that your truck is (or embodies) "essential equipment" to permit Tommy to access things mentioned in the Act and that permitting that truck to be parked close enough to the accessed facilities to perform the required functionality is "reasonable adjustment" as required by the Act. That said, IANAL but perhaps CAB could take this up on your behalf so that, at least, you'd be armed with a valid reason to have any further PCNs cancelled in similar circumstances anywhere in UK?...

Sounds like common decency to me. We should not need acts like this in order for seriously disabled people and their carers to be treated fairly and with the consideration they need and deserve. Well done Geoff for locating this information.

Geoff, I'm sorry, I feel like you've done a bit of research that I'd already done. My intention was to post the follow up, but got distracted by beer etc. with family.

I paid the first ticket, and appealed the second on the basis of it being a continuous contravention, I had the agreement to cancel that one this evening 😎
Well done for dealing with this pragmatically but I do wonder if you could have appealed both tickets ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back