Speeding in Spain

trooper2000

Today I got a letter from 'Ministerio del Interior'. Basicaly I've been a naughty boy doing 101kph in a 90kph limit.
The offence was on the 08/03/2024 so it took a while for them to track me. 100€ fine reduced to 50€ if you pay within 20 days of recieving the letter.
The letter was sent on 10/04 so took 8 days to get here.

I'm not complaining, just letting you all know if you get caught Speeding in Spain you will get a fine.

Interesting as I thought post Brexit they could no longer chase them unless this was a hire vehicle?

I got one last year. Came round a bend and the speed limit changed to 50 I was doing 58. The camera was just past the 50 sign. Just as I passed the sign the SatNav bleeped just to late. They get their info via Ireland who have a reciprocal agreement with the UK for driver details but it seems it only works one way. I just paid the €50 and forgot about it. First speeding ticket in 55 years so I was living on borrowed time 🙂

Interesting as I thought post Brexit they could no longer chase them unless this was a hire vehicle?

I thought that as well Barry.

But would your name/registration be flagged on the compooter next time you enter the country?

I hate those bleedin money boxes.

In a 30 zone, you get one sign going in miss it and you're toast and Ballcocks to counting lamp posts etc, they put repeater signs for 20, 40 50 limits on single carriageways every 200 yards or on every 7th or 8th lamp post & prior to the 20 limits this was the most important limit in my view and where most of the cameras are too, so why only one sign fo 30? it seems a bit sinister to me.

Can someone please arrange to test this by driving at several naughty speeds and let us know by return what transpires? :)
Heck, I hope that isn't me.

Not going to Spain cept I wanted to nip down to Logrono, but it's at least a 4 hour round trip, and I'm not sure what legal stuff I need to do that anyway.

I thought that as well Barry.

But would your name/registration be flagged on the compooter next time you enter the country?

It would seem there are two examples though now above that suggest otherwise. Bonkers if it is only working one way but it doesn't at all surprise me.

I got flashed by a camera in Spain back in 2018 (on my motorbike) doing 130mph (late for the ferry). The fine was on my doormat when we finally got home.
Think it was about 80 Euros. The fine is not enforceable in the UK .. but I paid it nevertheless.

The year previous I spoke to a fellow biker on the ferry and his mate picked up a speeding ticket in France a few years prior but ignored it and never paid it. When they went back to France the following year they were pulled over by the cops because an ANPR camera picked up his mates reg. They arrested him, impounded his bike and stuck him in a cell. He had to pay in excess of £1,500 in arrears to get his bike back after spending a night in a cell too..
Its just not worth the risk
pay the fine
(I got off very lightly.. if I had been caught in the UK doing that speed I would have been banned)
the only "good thing" is that all you will get is a monetary fine.. you will not accrue any endorsement points on your UK license while commiting any minor road offences while abroad

footnote (and a little tip)
we got hand held speed radared by a German cop and pulled over in Germany on the bikes for speeding
I dutifully produced by new credit card licence but my luddite mate only had his old paper one
the German cop could not understand his paper licence which was all sellotaped-up and moth eaten
so he let us go
(so the tip is.. If you still have your old paper driving licence keep it with you and present it if you are pulled up in person) :LOL:
it just might save you a fine..

I was very upset to get a speeding fine from France as I was dashing home to get out of Spain due to covid, 2020. You think they would have been more understanding in those trying times, and I was surprised as I didn't know I could go that fast. It came a month after I got home.

Today I got a letter from 'Ministerio del Interior'. Basicaly I've been a naughty boy doing 101kph in a 90kph limit.
The offence was on the 08/03/2024 so it took a while for them to track me. 100€ fine reduced to 50€ if you pay within 20 days of recieving the letter.
The letter was sent on 10/04 so took 8 days to get here.

I'm not complaining, just letting you all know if you get caught Speeding in Spain you will get a fine.
I usually pay smaller fines, I collect in Spain or elsewhere. But if its a real hefty one, its cheaper for me (in my country) to get a new lisence plate. I did it once to re -enter turkey. one of my friends did it for France. Since the UK left the EU I dont get any 'money claims fines' from there any more. For ex., last year one parking fine in Wells.

Can someone please arrange to test this by driving at several naughty speeds and let us know by return what transpires? :)

If you do it in Spain you will get a ticket through the post. Seems the Irish are happy to supply details to the Spanish.

Mine arrived in blighty yesterday too, post monitor told me off. Paid today
online, 50 euros for doing 76kph. in a 60kph. speeding limit (
Turn off for village on wide open rural A road) . Off to opticians soon as I get back......Alec

I hate those bleedin money boxes.

In a 30 zone, you get one sign going in miss it and you're toast and Ballcocks to counting lamp posts etc, they put repeater signs for 20, 40 50 limits on single carriageways every 200 yards or on every 7th or 8th lamp post & prior to the 20 limits this was the most important limit in my view and where most of the cameras are too, so why only one sign fo 30? it seems a bit sinister to me.
Yes i think it's crazy not to have repeater speed limit signs but cameras to catch the unwary, just like a sudden change of speed limited around a bend plus camera.
The motorist is nothing but a cashcow these days. ANPR car parks? untrustworthy so avoid if at all possible.
Parking is the new wild west where anything goes and the sharks and vulter parking firms get away with just about any cheating scheme they can dream up.

Back