Is ATF and PSF interchangeable ?

RAW

I have a squealing on the Power Steering belt or Power Steering Pump maybe :cautious: at full lock. Checked PS reservoir and dip stick level is on low point. I checked reservoir with engine off and manual says to check it with engine on. Potentially may be lower still. Anyway, I am remote and don't have access to any where to get any PSF without driving away. So I have some ATF in the Bus and am wondering can I just use that as ATF and PSF are both Hydraulic oils anyway ? Just ATF has more cleaning properties as far as I can make out.
Engine is an OM364A in a Mercedes 811D from 1991
PXL_20240425_064558632.jpg

If you go to commaoil.com you an enter your reg number to verify what’s acceptable

Reactions: RAW
Sadly I don't get the right vehicle for the Reg. Happens a lot, I think it's because of the age of the vehicle
1714844088152.png

Look on the positive side, you won’t break that engine without a sledgehammer (y)

• Funny
Considering how old the system is the higher detergent value of the atf can only be a good thing as the old oil is probably pretty bad by now , unless its been changed at some point , and oil rather than no oil is a win . If your getting noise on full lock its either belt slip or pressure relief valve

Considering how old the system is the higher detergent value of the atf can only be a good thing as the old oil is probably pretty bad by now , unless its been changed at some point , and oil rather than no oil is a win . If your getting noise on full lock its either belt slip or pressure relief valve
Yes I agree. I have topped the oil up with the ATF I have got. It is now on full although that is with the engine off. I will see what happens tomorrow when we head back.

You should try never to go to full lock if possable, atf correct for old wagons, i use a bottle with oil seal revival/softener & stop leak, and it helped mine from losing flued through old porus hoses.

Back