Has anyone had experience of this WIFI set up?

Looks like an omni directional antenna with a router to me. I have the old iboost system which is directional. They are kind of a bit old hat now though as most people are using 4 or 5g boosters now rather than seeking out wifi. I find the iBoost still useful from time to time though so if you are in a situation where there is no mobile signal but there is wifi available say half a mile away these devices can be useful still

Hi David. We have actually had poor success with the router until Saturday night when it found a signal. Dumfries and Galloway seems patchy in the extreme for signal and on looking today at some coverage maps I can see why.

In my innocence I thought this unit was for picking up a mobile signal? I am trying to work out a suitable external antannae for the router really to try and improve our chances of getting connectivity for the firestick.

Pete

Hi David. We have actually had poor success with the router until Saturday night when it found a signal. Dumfries and Galloway seems patchy in the extreme for signal and on looking today at some coverage maps I can see why.

In my innocence I thought this unit was for picking up a mobile signal? I am trying to work out a suitable external antannae for the router really to try and improve our chances of getting connectivity for the firestick.

Pete

Are you on EE / BT at home? If so you can use the EE Wifi (formally called BT WiFi) for free. Usually plenty of them to pick up from peoples houses. If you are not then see if you have a family member or friend that is and see if they will give you their login assuming they know what it is.

Pete
I'd have a look at these folk that Phil uses - https://www.solwise.co.uk/solution-mobile-data.htm.
I think if you call them and tell them you looking at an external antenna for your Netgear Nighthawk they should be able to advise on some good options.
I think the main choices are between an omni-antenna and a directional one, and if it is fixed on the roof or extends on a pole to try and get a better signal?
(i suppose most convenient is fixed omni, and best reception is pole-mounted directional).

Back