Young Drivers and Motorhomes

lenny

I am led to believe that the minimum age to drive and insure a motorhome is 25,does anyone know if this is still the case if the campervan is only 2 berth and weighs under 3.5 tonnes ?.

I am led to believe that the minimum age to drive and insure a motorhome is 25,does anyone know if this is still the case if the campervan is only 2 berth and weighs under 3.5 tonnes ?.

Not heard this one before Lenny, always thought if you passed your test prior to 1997 then you could drive a 7.5t, post 1997 only up to 3.5t.

Not heard this one before Lenny, always thought if you passed your test prior to 1997 then you could drive a 7.5t, post 1997 only up to 3.5t.

Hi Ian, It,s just that my daughter in law(Aged 21) asked for an insurance quote to drive my other campervan and was told she had to be 25:confused: to do so:(

Hi Ian, It,s just that my daughter in law(Aged 21) asked for an insurance quote to drive my other campervan and was told she had to be 25:confused: to do so:(
hi lenny, Back when I passed my test at 17 I was driving a 5.5 ton flatback. It may just be that your particular insurance schedule has that limitation. But I certainly have never heard of this type of restriction by law.

Its just an insurance company thing, shop around and she may find someone who will cover her.
If not then try and find another angle. I did it with my sons 200mph toyota, he bought it when he was 20, nobody would cover him. Then one company said if he had someone over 50 as a named driver he could get cover, it cost him £3000 PA and he wont let me drive it:mad:
Hes 24 now and still has to put me on the policy, but gets a 20% discount cos Im named, but he still wont let my have a go:mad::mad::mad:

As I understand it, and having passed my test in 2002, I can drive anything upto 3.5 tonnes. Not sure if there's a berth limit on motorcaravans though. Last year, when I was 24 I bought an old two-birth camper - I got insurance through Adrian Flux but was with a company called NIG. With my girlfriend on it aswell (23), it was about £400 for the year with my 2 years no claims. There was an age related compulsory excess of £200 if I damaged my own van, but as I was TPFT I don't think it would count. Also, I could also drive anyone else's car third party even though I was under 25. Might be worth giving them a ring - there is a form on the website which you can fill in and get them to ring you if your tight like me! :)

Cheers,

Bob

The fact your child is under 25, and it is difficult to obtain insurance is down to the insurance company the minimum legal age is as with a car 17

After the 1st of August, 1997 those who passed there test are restricted to 3500 kgs above this an additional test is required.

Prior to this date those that passed a car test have can drive up to 7500 kgs. before another test is required.

Interestingly in the case of younger post 97 drivers they are limitations as to weights of caravans that can be towed too.

Channa

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back