Won't start when hot.

Doris

We have recently purchased a 3 year old hardly used (3,000 miles) motor home. Its a diesel Fiat Duccato.

She is lovely to start when cold but is a madame when hot. She needs at least 1/2 hour to cool down, then starts with no problem. Its a bit embarrasing when getting fuel ....! We haven't done anything about it yet, we just take the view that if we stop, it has to be somewhere interesting.

Any ideas?

Is it something we should sort before driving her again?

We have recently purchased a 3 year old hardly used (3,000 miles) motor home. Its a diesel Fiat Duccato.

She is lovely to start when cold but is a madame when hot. She needs at least 1/2 hour to cool down, then starts with no problem. Its a bit embarrasing when getting fuel ....! We haven't done anything about it yet, we just take the view that if we stop, it has to be somewhere interesting.

Any ideas?

Is it something we should sort before driving her again?

It sounds like your starter motor is getting too hot,i dont know why but it sounds like on running it is over heating.
I had the same problem on my chevvy truck but that was a supercharged v8 and i had to fit a heat shield to protect the motor,i agree with you at petrol stations this can be embarrasing.Give it a checkover may be something innocent!

Being that it's a diesel there could be an issue with the glow plugs themselves. Or maybe even your injectors as well, but it could be more like something in the electrical system, I'd check all the relays and sensors because if one or more of these are going down they will work fine when cold but once warmed up they can quit just like that. Then leaving the vehicle sit for two hours gives the relays and sensors time to cool & allowing the vehicle to start again.

Thanks for that. We need to get her booked in but the weeks are full of work and the weekends are full of sunshine ..... she wont blow up or completely refuse to start if we dont sort it soon will she??

no she shouldn't blow, but if it's a sensor it could just fail at anytime, hopefully not though, if your booking into garage make sure they van read the ecu, most do now, the ecu should show where any sensor is failing

we had a similar problem recently and found it to be the keycoded key
i used to leave the key in the ignition when stopping for a short break but now find i have to remove the key every time i stop the engine .
if any one knows of a way to bypass the coded thing it would make life easier

Is the engine a 2.5 peugeot? When hot, does it turn over on the key, but not start, or does it just click and not turn over, What temperature does it normally run at: 95 or over? My mechanic has set these questions. He needs to know before he can comment. he is experienced with Talbot, Fiat, and citroen campers [basically all the same as yours]
Paol.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back