Wireless without engine.

Topmast

Hi everyone.
Is there any way to use the radio in 2006 Fiat van when the engine is switched off? Or do I have to remove radio and fit live feed. I was under the impression you just turned the key back past off but that just turns all parking lights on. Thanks for any suggestions.

It depends if you have an accessory position on your ignition switch, probably labelled ACC around the ignition barrel and a firm 'click' before the actual ignition position. If you have then I reckon there'll be a wire that gives 12v in that position in the wiring harness behind the radio so it'll be a case of moving radio power over to that cable. If not then you'll have to pick up a permanent 12v supply (again should be available at the wiring harness but if not then at the fuse box) and fit a new switch somewhere on your dashboard supplying the radio from there.

The radio will have a live feed to maintain the memory unless its old school, if otherwise then cut the feed to eng and after a fuse if one is there just join to any constant feed or fuse box.

Thank you both for replies,yes it looks like radio out and fit live feed , yet another annoying little job.

Carthago/Malibu use a relay that allows you to power the radio from the leisure battery when the engine is not running. Should be possible to wire in a relay that makes sure that the batteries are properly separated and a switch to turn the leisure battery supply on when stationary.

Is there an owners group for the make?
They tend to know specific stuff like this.

Alternatively search on line for the appropriate Fiat manual.

I used to have a A class Burstner on a 2006 Fiat and that had the ACC position that powered the Radio.

At nearly 20 years old it may not have the standard wiring.

I have fitted a three way switch so that my radio can either come on with the ignition so I don't have to keep turning off the radio when I stop. Or I can have it working regardless of what the ignition is doing.

I took the live feed from the leisure battery so I don't accidently kill my starter battery.

I took the live feed from the leisure battery so I don't accidently kill my starter battery.
I also did this after listening to the radio all morning some years ago and when I went to start the engine the battery was dead, it was probably on its way out and the radio for several hours finally killed it.

Thanks everyone ..I agree that taking a feed from leisure battery with a two way switch may be the best option,I just need to find a couple of hours spare time ! some hope perhaps a winter job.

Is it the genuine fiat radio? If it is you should just power up and then get an hour of radio

Mines a peugeot and if it’s the same you can delve into the system and make the radio switch off after 1 hour, my previous ducato (rapido) had a separate switch on the dash for on/off without ignition.

I use my phone for the radio in the van...my radio (Citroen relay 2018) turns off with the ignition but the button can be pressed and gives you further 20min, did do that several times but the battery light started flashing, so use the phone which last ages.

Carthago/Malibu use a relay that allows you to power the radio from the leisure battery when the engine is not running. Should be possible to wire in a relay that makes sure that the batteries are properly separated and a switch to turn the leisure battery supply on when stationary.
In our Carthago they use a couple of diodes to do the job. One fed from the habitation battery and one from the starter battery. If we switch the entertainment switch on the radio comes on in the front. Great for surround sound connected to the Tv

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back