Wireless Network Security

lenny

Hi all, I am using my laptop on an "Unsecured Wireless Network" at the moment:eek:, can anyone tell me how to change this to a "Security Enabled Wireless Network":eek:.
I think the whole estate is hooked up to my connection :eek::(:p

Thanks in advance;)

Hi Lenny,
Who is your ISP (internet service provider)

Jackie ;)

I'm not sure myself, but I know a man who I think will know..I've emailed him. Will come back to you when he replies. I bet someone else will have given you the answer by then though..but its worth a shot!!

Jackie ;)

Hi all, I am using my laptop on an "Unsecured Wireless Network" at the moment, can anyone tell me how to change this to a "Security Enabled Wireless Network":eek:.

Thanks in advance;)

Hi Lenny,
Right click on 'my network' (I don't know how it's in English - mine does it in Dutch) then 'secure' add pasworth and so on.
BTW: I'm not surprised everybody hooks on 'an unsecured Virgin' :eek::D:D(should try this too when the other half is not watching :rolleyes::D )
Leo

Putting a password on your home network is just plain anti social, what about the rest of us who rely on your network when away from home.

BTW can you tell me where you are located so that I can park up outside and watch movies, send emails, etc. :)

Seriously do what Belgian says.

Which reminds me I had better check my network settings :(

wireless security

hi lenny
i'm a virgin too.
what i had to do was go into the router settings (mines a zoom,from tesco's) and set up 128 bit security.
the info with the router gives a website where you can alter all the settings of the router.
just remember your password as you will need that to connect your pc.

good luck:p:D

:confused:... i'm amazed you haven’t been round em all to collect a fee :D

regards:p
aj

Funny you should mention that:rolleyes:, as yet I,ve been unsuccessful at securing my connection so I decided to remove the aerial from my router :eek:, giving me a very low signal in and around my house and garden:rolleyes:.

Now ,maybe if these "Wardrivers" come round and identify themselves,then I can do a deal with them;):p:cool:

router

hi lenny
i'll try again.
your router is your gateway to the internet(and everybody else) it needs to be secured.
this can only be done online.
every make of router has a weblink where you can change the settings of your router.
try this website
http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/wireless/routerindex.htm

it lists all of the popular routers. if you click on your make of router it takes you to a new page.
click on the filter part in section 2.
the next page shows you how to log in and change your settings.
do not change any settings only security.
i selected 128 bit wep.
it gives you a page where you can put your own key numbers in, or as i did put a password in,and it generates the security key for you.
remember this password as you will need it to generate the same security key on your laptop.
it sounds complicated but it's not.
good luck

live long and prosper:D:p:eek:

I had this problem, I only have 2 neighbors and one is an occasional neighbor. Because I couldn't imagine a security problem I never closed the door to my wireless connection.

On one weekend when my very smart occasional neighbor decided he had a free internet connection my Mac had logged in to his PC whilst he was using my connection and gave me the opportunity of a life-time if I had been a cyber-crook.

In the case of my set-up I just set my router to only accept our lap-top on a wireless connection. Our desk-top is connected directly to the router, any number of addresses can be logged into the router. Of-course there is another very high level of security though in our case I didn't think it was worth the effort after I produced a print-out of my occasional neighbors will.

Seems some computers have open back doors, its why I use a Mac.

Thanks Bevo, I tried this site and Found and clicked on my router but was unable to find
"Filter part in section 2":confused::eek:

Hi all, I am using my laptop on an "Unsecured Wireless Network" at the moment:eek:, can anyone tell me how to change this to a "Security Enabled Wireless Network":eek:.

Thanks in advance;)

Hi Lenny, i think if you type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar in internet explorer (the bar that holds http://) this should let you access the server to set a password, cheers, Alan

router

hi lenny
after loads of searching i've found your router ip address
http://192.168.1.254
this should take you to something like this
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/MSI/RG60G/3-In-A-Bed.htm
click on customised configuration
you are only interested in wireless settings.
look at security and select wep 128 bit, there should be a box for password,
put a password in( remember it for your laptop)
click the button and it should generate a security key.
click finnish or something similar.
the router should now be secure.
when you try to connect with your laptop it won't let you, it will say secure network and should give you the option of putting the previous password in, if you've selected 128 bit wep previously you do the same on your laptop.
if you have difficulty connecting to the internet you can always go back to the router's ip address and reset the security to nowt.
it's probably trial and error till you get it right.
good luck

:D:D:eek:

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back