winter touring in the alps. advice required please

corrob

hello

my girlfriend and I are planning to spend the coming winter season (six months) touring the alps in a motorhome. we have no experience of owning or living in a motorhome. HELP

we would welcome advice on what vehicle and accesories would be suited to this trip for example european motorhome versus american RV?

how do we insure the vehicle for overseas long term use

are there any countries to avoid?

how do we winterise the motorhome? temp around -20 or lower expected

we would welcome hearing from anyone that has done a similar journey. what advice can you give us please

many thanks in advance

rob

hello

my girlfriend and I are planning to spend the coming winter season (six months) touring the alps in a motorhome. we have no experience of owning or living in a motorhome. HELP

we would welcome advice on what vehicle and accesories would be suited to this trip for example european motorhome versus american RV?

we would welcome hearing from anyone that has done a similar journey. what advice can you give us please

many thanks in advance

rob

Spending 6 months in the alps sounds brill ,exciting,live changing experience, but here is the rub, my opinion only:cool:

In a foreign county in winter van you don't now could spell problems.
There is that maney types of mh as you now where would start!!!!!!!!
Sooooooooooo
1 pick a layout to suit your needs 4berth, fixed bed,etc
2 size of van 3500 tonne most common
3 your budget.

If you could attend a mh show there are lots of dealers there that would explain limitations of there vans.
There will be lots of different opinions of what,how and indifferent but i think no matter what mh you buy gain experience in a comfort zone, in this country not to far from home, on a camp site and if you can go with some who has a mh. I don't want to sound negative but what ever you decide it will never be perfect and trouble free :( just try to cover as many bases as you can.
Having said all that why don't you look at hiring one for 6 months, you might get a good deal for long term hire and it will be new:)

All the best in what ever you decide:D:D

:)Hi Rob.
Just a few bits of advice for your trip.
Go online and check out season lift pass prices,they are often 30% cheaper if you buy about 2/3 weeks before the start of the season.(Can be done online)Many do special weekend deals.The lift passes will be you biggest expense (after the girlfriend/wife).

Campsites are expensive in winter resorts so look for alterntives,aires and car parks with water avail.

Buy a propane adaptor no 1301 from Bullfinch so you can use a French propane cylinder
with a English regulator if you m/h is made prior to 2002.Deposit on French cylinders is about e5 from a supermarket. A butain hose for post 2002 fits most
French propane cylinders.

You will need big (11-13 kg) gas cylinders for the cold weather,they may only last 3/4 days each.

Get some big batteries ,the more the better (scrap yard ,Ebay)and a few chargers,so you can recharge when you are on hook-up.Buy an inverter (300 watt or over)
so you can use 230/240 stuff (DVD is good) while on 12volt only.

Take some 25ltr water containers to store inside incase your water system freezes.A short length of hose ,like push on shower connex to fill up from taps.A watering can to pour into M/H

Choose a m/h with at least the fresh water tank inboard,and a blown air heating system or central heating.An oilfilled radiator for when on hook up.

Leave waste water valve open and collect in a bucket or container,or it will freeze.

Leave hand brake off .(may freeze on)Put van in gear and chock the wheels.

Invest in Winter tyres (YOU WILL NEED THEM FOR A SEASON),some countries require 4 (Austria).You need at least 2 on the drive wheels.Also heavy snowchains.(eBay)Practice putting chains on when its not -20 ,dark and snowing!!!.Some plastic sheet to lay on.

Take a snow shovel,cork screw ,plenty of DVDs ,microfibe towels and a good sence of humour!!!

See you out there maybe.

Rick

hello

many thanks in advance

rob

Rob.

An F off big M/H is great for living in but a problem to park /drive around a european ski resort or campsite,you may be restricted to aires or lorry parks
Best go for somthing around 6mts long.You will need lots of storage space
so use under /over and ontop space.Do not leave home full up,leave room to spread (like you belt from a good meal).The M/h will take quite a hammering
in winter so dont buy anything too precious.Fill with synthetic thin motor oil.
Fill with diesel in/near the mountains because it has freezing inhibitors mixed in.
Start the engine every couple of days to keep things moving,best in the afternoon when its not too cold.

Block off cab and overcab areas at night with thick curtains ect.it will be very cold in thoes areas.

Thick sleeping bags and warm pj's

Loads more ,but that should give you some ideas.

Regards Rick

Hi Corrob, We have spent many weeks in the high Alps & Pyrenees during all seasons. The main thing is NOT to build up the hype to much. The mountain villages have to be sustained & the local authorites ensure that goods can get through. If white van man can do it, so can you. We were snowed in for a couple of days once, but we are retired & going nowhere in a hurry, so whats the problem ? Our vehicle is a panel van Murvi Morello built for long term wild camping. You need good insulation, diesel powered heater ( webasto ?) minimum of 2 x 110 amp leisure batteries, decent size internal insulated water tank, thick duvet ( ours are silk bought back from China ) spare blankets. Most important, thermal underwear. Recently TJ Hughes was flogging off sets for £3.00 excellent quality. Most European Countries put antifreeze in the fuel as a matter of course once winter sets in, but if using diesel, always insulate the Pump between the tank & the engine. Hope this helps.

Dezi

:)Rob.

A few more tips come to mind- If you go in Dec/Jan try to park at lower altitude resorts ,it WILL be very cold at night that time of the year.Always try to park in a position that gets sun during the daytime,during Dec/Jan some valley areas and resorts get very little sun during the day so you never thaw out. A lift pass that covers several resort heights is ideal,you can move up the mountains to stay in later season or just go for the day.Many season passes give you several days in other ski areas if you want a change of scene.

If you want to stay most of the season in one area campsites usually do a seasonal pitch at a better price,still quite expensive with the £ exchange rate at the moment.

On the M/H front.A panel van conversion is too small and not well insulated enough for extended high altitude living,you will be inside a lot of the time in the early season,not much outdoor living.and the resort bars are expensive.If you want your girlfriend to remain so you need a little space.

Generators are tolerated on most aires but expensive to buy,not easy to store with petrol ect.Do not buy in haste.Some 2 stroke generators are cheap but put out a sine wave that is not compatable with modern electronic equipment.They are good for charging batteries with an old fashion heavy
transformer type charger like your Dad had or has.Do not plug into your M/H
you risk damaging the onboard equipment.

Try to ge a container to put overflow of toilet into if nowhere to dump is handy.A large opening is best.

Depending on your budget the best batteries for cold weather use are AGM construction (absorbed glass matt).These are very expensive but can last 10 years or more and are are unspillable.They are used as computer back up power (UPS).If you can find some decommisioned ones cheaply they are good.
Try to google somthing like Hawker Powersafe for specs.Dont spend too much its only camping!!!

You can try to hook up to a power source in the resort to charge batteries,girlfriend use hair dryer ect for the day .(Shop,cafe,if you are a customer it helps,chalet,garage,snow plough maint dept ect,a few pastis in the locals bar might help your cause).

LEARN THE LANGUAGE or at least the relevant stuff.Hook up ,gas,waste toilet dump ,drinking water ect. A phrase book is good and you can always point at the phrase.

Try to arrive fully stocked with wine,beer,food(plenty of variety of tins) ,gas ect
Its all expensive in resorts.

Its a great way to ski/board/climb/walk a variety of places and make new chums,we are doing our 4th trip this winter.

Take luxuries and be aware of you girlfriends
needs and wants if you want to live in harmoney.Seriously this is the most important tip of all!!!!

Regards Rick

Something to think about.

Something to think about.

Hi, A panel van is perfectly Ok providing it made for the job. See pics.

Dezi

Attachments

• Portugal1 292 (600 x 450).jpg
    Portugal1 292 (600 x 450).jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Portugal1 293 (2) (600 x 450).jpg
    Portugal1 293 (2) (600 x 450).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Portugal 234 (600 x 450).jpg
    Portugal 234 (600 x 450).jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Portugal 235 (600 x 450).jpg
    Portugal 235 (600 x 450).jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 112
  • Portugal 237 (600 x 450).jpg
    Portugal 237 (600 x 450).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 111
:)Dezi.

You M/H looks good and well up to the job,a bit small for my 6 foot 4 in though.

I was meaning more the van with a matress and camping gaz stove slung in the back ,summer festival style as being unsuitable.

However I would stress the need for large gas cylinder storage space if you dont have the luxury of diesel heating.I have made a box to go on the back of my coachbuilt for this use.

I would sure prefer to be driving your wagon on icy ,twisting,narrow roads than my larger coachbuit wagon.Its all a compromise ,or choice .
You see all sorts parked up in ski resorts as you know .

If the weather and snow is good its like a summer holiday in the snow., but that is not always the case.

We have 4 winter tyres ,chains,shovel,grip mats and still had to be dug out by a snow plough after 7 days continuous heavy snow.(about 3mtrs plus!!)

So, if you fail to prepair, prepair to fail as they say.

Just keep supplies stocked up,gas ,water and power.Those tins of food sure taste good and you invent new receipies,like bacon and tined peaches.

Regards Rick

Winter Camping

Hello, you will have a wonderful time in the Alps in winter, we live here all year and I think the winter is great. It can get very very cold especially in December and january, but I think one of the most important things are snow chains, Although all the main roads are cleared very quickly in a storm it can be a bit hairy, there are also lots and lots of places you can wild camp for a couple of night, and I would say perhaps go on a site for a couple of nights a week just to charge things up and fill up with water, and supplement your heating in the van with a mobile heater. I am sure you will have a great time, and if you do get a bit homesick its not far to get back to the UK.

My suggestion would be to get your motorhome months before you intend heading into freezing conditions and learn to use it under conditions where minor mistakes are not going to end up putting you to a lot of inconvenience or even in danger.
One thing in particular - practice putting on your snow chains on a slope in mud and in the dark wearing heavy gloves. If you can't manage it, then keep practising until you can.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back