winter in fort william

flashingblade

hi there. i'm planning on taking a winter mountaineering course in fort william and iv'e read the sites section on this site but really need to know of any quiet spots that are accessible in harsh conditions ie snow. nothing fancy, i'm totally self sufficient, just need to be out of sight, hi cube tranny. you might guess that i've never ventured to this area before. any help appreciated.

Through fort William towards the cable car I did see last year many people parked on the road towards Ben Nevis - not sure you can park freely but someone will know I'm sure. Also the large car park as you get into Fort William also has a lot of 'vans on but no idea about overnight camping.

Flashing blade,dont know what enquiries you have made about your mountaineering course, or if you,ve chosen one, but they usually come as residential.Maybe a word with the organisers of the course and they might let you park in the grounds of wherever you stay?.

In relation to the Fort William area the road into Glen Nevis used to have plenty of stopping spots however the estate has put up "no overnighting" signs.The Glen would be quiet at this time of the year.If you go down the Glen and if you have a small low van less than 7 ft wide you would be able to drive down past the big car park at the bottom,passed Polldubh crags and continue to the road end where there is a further car parking area at which you could stay.

There is a new car park sign posted "The North face car park"which is about a mile outside Fort William on the road towards Spean Bridge which gives access to the Ben Nevis north face which might be a spot.I havent visited this one yet.

In relation to the surrounding area Spean Bridge,Glenfinnan,Glencoe once you know where you would be based more spots would be open to you.

unsure

thanks for advice. i'm not sure yet which course or exactly where it will be but i do know i will be wilding, as oppose to booking digs, all the courses i have viewed so far offer accom as an extra. my only transport is my camper so i might as well save money and make use of it. i'm happy and used to wilding in winter due to a long stint at full-timing. my current van is less than the width restriction so snow permitting, will give it a look. cheers.

Have stayed overnight several times in the carpark almost at the end of Glen Nevis, past the big one and on the right just before the bridge.
Never had a problem, as of yet.
Used to run a 1978 Chevrolet Camaro http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/1978/78b-1.html which nearly starred in Braveheart.
Parked it in the trees near where they were filming while out walking and returned to find a production crew member waiting to ask me to move it "please" as it was appearing in shots they needed to take...nearly got my 15 minutes!

Last edited:
Camero

:confused: Hey !!! William Wallace Charging through the Glens In a Camaro!!!! The Mind Boggles... No wonder he defeated he English-- They only had Austin Allegros!!!:eek:

:confused: Hey !!! William Wallace Charging through the Glens In a Camaro!!!! The Mind Boggles... No wonder he defeated he English-- They only had Austin Allegros!!!:eek:

nothing wrong with austin allegros :eek:i had one, but i wish i had got the camaro instead :D:D

cor!!!!

nice machine......That same one as in Smokey and the bandit??????

bandit

the bandit in an austin allegro ? surely not, it must have belonged to 'the frog'

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back