wind blowing in around fridge/freezer

Jacques le foot

Hi folks,
We have been out 'wilding' this last weekend, and had to remove fridge/freezer vent covers as we were running on gas. I know it was particularly windy this weekend, but boy oh boy!! did it whistle in around the fridge/freezer inside. There is a gap all around, between the appliances and their housing. I stuffed twisted black plastic bags all around, but am wondering if anyone knows of a better, more permanent way of doing it?
Thanks,

Jackie

There used to be an installation kit that blocked the gaps but it is no longer available.

Best solution is gaffa tape from the INSIDE of the van, do not block from the outside ot sticky backed door draft foam excluder

Regards

Is it really necessary to remove the vent covers when on gas?
I thought that the vent covers were fitted to prevent maybe snow blowing in and causing blockages during the winter.
(Still Learning!)

Electrolux used to make winter covers which had half the amount of holes/slots in them.

I made a clear PVC sheet that clips on the outside using stainless steel press studs to completely cover the cooker vent (the worst culprit) and with a large hole above the fridge chimney and small air holes near the burner - it now stops the gale that comes in under the sink and above the cooker.

If your fridge is fitted correctly they should now be completely sealed to the inside of the van with no draughts possible!

Thanks for your input Nosha,
We've had our van from new, and it is now 4 years old...I don't recall feeling the draught so much any other winter. I am wondering if the fixings have shifted a bit over the years through vibration...I suppose its possible. I can see down the sides a thin grey sponge, which I suppose used to do the job when it was new.
This afternoon I have removed the plastic bags, and fitted strips of foam, folded in half so they expand to fit the gap. I can only wait now for another windy day to see if its done the trick.

Jackie;)

I have the electrolux covers, but was told that they could stay put when on electric, but needed removing when running the fridge/freezer on gas

Last edited:
It sounds like your covers are the solid blanks I've heard about, hence needing to remove them when on gas.
Yes it does sound like the foam has moved or fallen out, ours was only really noticeable one night up on the sea wall at Aldeburgh with the wind coming in off the sea hitting the vents, we took the bed spread thingy off the bed and drapped it over the kitchen unit weighed down with a full kettle, books, tool bag etc at the Truma gas central heating couldn't keep up - it was like sleeping in a cold wind tunnel!!
If I wasn't so lazy I should have turned the van round!!

ha ha ! we moved a few yards the second night to where there was a higher hedge that we could pull up against on our fridge side.

Is it really necessary to remove the vent covers when on gas?
I thought that the vent covers were fitted to prevent maybe snow blowing in and causing blockages during the winter.
(Still Learning!)

Its a must to remove the vent covers when on gas - the risk is that the fridge will give off excess carbon monoxide or not vent correctly and it builds up inside the van. The risk is very low, but its still there.

If there is a flame failure and gas continues (it should n't) to flow there is a lesser risk of problems as the gas will "fall" out of the open vent if it has been fitted at floor level.

If the fridge is "sealed" off from the interior of the van, the vents enable air (oxygen) to reach the flame and let it burn correctly. Again its a low risk as usually there are gaps that let in small amounts of air.

Cooking in the wind

I had a similar problem this weekend but with my oven. I have an old Swift Kontiki, and the oven is on the same side as the fridge! The van was parked in such a way where this side was exposed to a fair old side wind from the coast. No problems with the fridge as this was running on electric, but needless to say, the oven would light- but would not burn- because of the draught :eek:

I thought the oven was broken until I realised that it was the wind. I checked the oven the next day, when the wind had died down, and it was working fine :)

However, I have noticed that there is a draught whenever I open some of the draws on this side of the van (esp under the sink)and this is regardless of any wind or whether the fridge is on. I was wondering why this may be? There do not appear to be any holes or cavities? I was wondering whether this draught could coming in through the external fridge vents? Should this be enough to kill the oven in a wind? What can be done about it?

I am fairly new to motorhoming, so all help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi folks,
We have been out 'wilding' this last weekend, and had to remove fridge/freezer vent covers as we were running on gas. I know it was particularly windy this weekend, but boy oh boy!! did it whistle in around the fridge/freezer inside. There is a gap all around, between the appliances and their housing. I stuffed twisted black plastic bags all around, but am wondering if anyone knows of a better, more permanent way of doing it?
Thanks,

Jackie

i had the same thing last weekend , i just used frame sealer mastic and sealed all round the sides and bottom , the top is not too bad , but boy did it blow in round the edges , seems to be ok now and a lot warmer inside

Thanks for your input Nosha,
We've had our van from new, and it is now 4 years old...I don't recall feeling the draught so much any other winter. I am wondering if the fixings have shifted a bit over the years through vibration...I suppose its possible. I can see down the sides a thin grey sponge, which I suppose used to do the job when it was new.
This afternoon I have removed the plastic bags, and fitted strips of foam, folded in half so they expand to fit the gap. I can only wait now for another windy day to see if its done the trick.

Jackie;)

I have the electrolux covers, but was told that they could stay put when on electric, but needed removing when running the fridge/freezer on gas

I had a 04 C I van and it had a foam check recall in 2005 is yours a C I :confused:

You need adequate rear airflow (and yes, that might not need to be very much if in really cold weather) whether you are on gas or electric. The only extra consideration when on gas is to provide extra ventilation to allow the exhaust gas to escape AND proper sealing on the inside to prevent the exhaust gas from leaking into the living space.

The winter covers are required to prevent so-called "over-cooling" of the system, but should still allow some airflow. Some brands have the top vent in two sections - a smaller section for the gas flame exhaust to escape, and the larger section for coil ventilation - and it is only the ventilation section that is reduced for cold weather operation.

I had a 04 C I van and it had a foam check recall in 2005 is yours a C I :confused:

Sorry for the delay cipro, I've only just seen your post. No, mine is a Burstner Delfin 700 Performance.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back