Will this affect insurance?

RSD7a

I'll be adding my son to our campervan insurance for a week's holiday soon. Usually costs a reasonable £30 or so. Last month his wife badly pranged their car ... an insurance claim. She is a named driver on his insurance. When the campervan insurers asks if my son has had any accidents in the last 5 years, will his wife's accident count against him thereby increasing the premium. Do I even need to declare it?

Last edited:
I can't see why daughter in laws accident should influence the underwriting of adding your son on but as others have said declare it to be on the safe side.

All I'd do, which I'm sure is the same as most of us would, is just answer their questions honestly.

The chances are they will ask anyway.

I'll be adding my son to our campervan insurance for a week's holiday soon. Usually costs a reasonable £30 or so. Last month his wife badly pranged their car ... an insurance claim. She is a named driver on his insurance. When the campervan insurers asks if my son has had any accidents in the last 5 years, will his wife's accident count against him thereby increasing the premium. Do I even need to declare it?
Ok I am no expert here and I would inform the insurers.
But I reckon it wont affect your policy.
But if they define your son as meaning his policy and any claims made against it, then it could affect you, even if his wife is not insured to drive your van.

But the best advice has already been given, inform your insurers in writing of the accident his wife had, and see what they come back with.

It shouldn't do, as it's your policy he's on - not his own, and she has nothing to do with it.

But I bet it does lol. The way they will look at it is that as the insurance is in his name, he's made a claim.

Thanks for all the (very consistent) advice. I'm mainly curious to know if they'll load the temporary premium on account of an accident that my son didn't have. I'll let you know what transpires after I speak to the insurers, prob later this week.

I think you'll find the major part of any loading will often be down to postcode.

I live in an F post code rating. Bad postcode/High Risk. I can add two drivers in better post codes, and my insurance goes down.
A third will see an increase regardless of their post code.

I've found it's usually cheaper to carry on extra drivers until end of policy, rather than a few weeks.

So here's what happened this morning.
Spoke to the insurance co. The accident by my d-in-law last month on my son's policy has no impact. As long as he wasn't driving, it's not relevant, even though the quite significant claim is on his policy.
The insurance company usually charges £30 for a week's temp insurance plus an admin fee of £20 odd. (That's for over 30s with clean licence and no accidents in last 5 yrs). My son was hit by a deer ( well his car was!) 3 yrs ago so that upped the temporary week to £50 plus admin fee.
As it happens my policy renews on 4th Sept. Insurance lady says "wait a mo. Let's see what happens if we add him today for the remainder of the policy... oh there's no charge, except for £23 admin.

I love Comfort insurance. Always fair and transparent in my 10yr+ experience.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back