Wilding Sub Zero

lenny

I was planning a trip around the Scottish countryside during the xmas holidays for 5 or 6 days however last weekend taught me a few lessons regarding sub zero conditions
Firstly, when hunting for suitable sleepyspots you only have a window of 8 or 9 hours daylight to do so:( (My night vision is hopeless when driving).
Then if the conditions are sub zero I think you need to be very close to tarmac/gritted roads to make your getaway (I got my eye on a picnic area but the entrance was a steep ramp and an overnight frost would have prevented me from leaving)
Then theres the job of preventing your water supply from freezing, as mine did last weekend, although I,ve got an Idea on that one:rolleyes:
So much more to think about when planning but It all adds to the fun of Wilding:rolleyes:so It,s loadsa gas (Propane), loadsa bottled water;) A bag of road salt;), shovel, broth mix:eek:, Whisky/Wine etc.:cool:

Oh and maybe a turfer, shackles etc., and bumper repair kit:eek::p, sorry Andy, only kidding.

Any more comments/Ideas on this one?;)

Lenny, if that sleepy spot, down the ramp, is the one that we use, then there is a salt bin at the bottom! :eek: It's on the way to Sanquhar, from Dumfries, on the left. :rolleyes: Unless someone has stolen that bin and used it for a back box for a M/Home!!!! :eek: :D :D JIM!!

Lenny, if that sleepy spot, down the ramp, is the one that we use, then there is a salt bin at the bottom! :eek: It's on the way to Sanquhar, from Dumfries, on the left. :rolleyes: Unless someone has stolen that bin and used it for a back box for a M/Home!!!! :eek: :D :D JIM!!

Thats the one Jim, but I also noted a lot of litter and the toilet door had been kicked in:eek:, maybe I,m just getting old and paranoid:eek::confused::p

Thats the one Jim, but I also noted a lot of litter and the toilet door had been kicked in:eek:, maybe I,m just getting old and paranoid:eek::confused::p

No not old and paranoid, just good wildcamp common sense Lenny. Smashed toilet door not a good sign, especially if a dodgy slippy ramp is your only escape:)

Brrrr!

Good point. I know the place you mean, seen a few dodgy car gatherings there at night when I've passed. For cold weather in that area it's hard to beat Caerlaverock - tends to be warmer and easy getaway. Or down the coast near Kirkcudbright, never seems to freeze as hard there.

Re the low temps, I had 3 nights at -11 to -12 near Dumfries last winter. :eek: Drained the whole system down as soon as heard forecast and just used bottled water and the (propane) stove. The inboard water tank (under the seats) had a rim of ice from condensation freezing and more on floor where a small spill had been. The big tank prob wouldn't have frozen solid but was worried about the hot water boiler next to it, Weber diesel heater was great but ran battery down quite fast..wished we had the generator with us! Darn glad of the hot water bottles- older you get the wussier about cold feet?! :eek:

Best purchase was those cheap fake sheepskin slipper boots from tesco..you can go outside in them briefly and they keep your feet toasty!:D

No not old and paranoid, just good wildcamp common sense Lenny. Smashed toilet door not a good sign, especially if a dodgy slippy ramp is your only escape:)

I must admit that if I had gone down there and seen the door I would have left it alone also!! :eek: B****y hooligans again. :rolleyes: It has always been so clean and tidy. :cool: A Berlingo van used to roll up at about 0730 each morning with a husband, wife and Jack Russell team. :D The lady cleaned the toilets while the guy and dog wandered about checking and emptying bins! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Better cross that one off my list's then, eh? :( :D :D JIM!!

Inverness here we come

Having read the above comments I thought that I would mention that we leave sunny!! Bournemouth tomorrow afternoon and head up to Inverness to visit grandchildren.

The weather forecast looks reeeellly good !!!

Dezi

inverness

Dezi
we are in Angus and got 2-3ins snow last night'

The main roads up here get treated fairly quickly,A roads should be clear
but be very careful on side roads.
Still get out and enjoy, the views are stunning

weez
Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup - I'm heading north to Scotland tomorrow too - just packed the XC skis and the snow chains...that should guarantee an instant thaw. :)

Safe journey Dezi!

Hilary
(Other half has to stay south for another week and work :(

Hiya we have just come back after 5 nights around the Mull of Galloway. Frost every night but the water tank was OK. Used loads of propane but the spaceheater kept us very warm. Frosty at night but glorious sunshine during the day. Had a great break but glad to be safely home. Have you seen the forecast for Thursday! Jen

Tourists! We live with night temperatures below freezing and have to risk not draining tanks.
Last Sunday, off to work on iced up roads with snow on the mountain pass, it's great to live here!! Today, blazing sun & +1 degree temperature, back on black ice to feed the pigs.

Xmas in Scotland

We've spent Xmas in Scotland for quite a few years now.

Have good sleeping bags

Always carry a spare gas bottle.

If your water supply is in an external tank,lag as much as you can,and carry a small container inside the van in case it freezes.

We usually find somewhere to stop mid afternoon, put it on the sat nav, then find a nearby town or village to visit for the rest of the afternoon,returning after dark.

Keep a good stock of tinned food and long life milk so it doesn't matter if you have to stop put one day.

Allow a bit extra time for travelling

The coast is always milder.The west more than the East

Most of all ENJOY

Thanks!

You lot have got me thinking now! I thought the van was laid up until March, but with 11 days off over Xmas, I feel a trip coming on. Bit of lagging on the cold feed from the tank and should be OK for a few light frosts. Diesel back to less than a quid too!
Welsh coast maybe?

Me too

Ive been inspired to have a trip at xmas, just had a look at Jed The Spreads blog on his Scottish xmas tour, I thinks I will be heading north for a few days. By the way sagart life on Skye looks great, we are hoping to sell up and move north, looking at Fort william area, just trying to sell then make the move. We just love Scotland.

Ive been away afew times in the Holiday, useually with my son for a night but just lately it has turned into a visit to my Brothers and his family for a p**s up and a mega curry and sleep in the van ouside his house.... is this classed as wilding?:D

We normally do that Rick park on the sea front and then go to me mates nomad1 for a megga pi$$up and nomads other half makes a great curry then crawl out in the early hours sometimes its getting light :D
good times why waste holidays when you can be off in your van wilding :)

Mike

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back