Wild camping

GARY ENGLISH

Just a few words taken from a magazine. If you are caught wild camping in an area where it is not legal -or tolerated- you will be told to move on.As you have no legal right to stay,you must move on,no matter what the time of night or day. Overnight camping and careless parking by motorhome owners and caravans in the new forest lead to the parkwise campaign from the forestry commission. This sets out to highlight the dangers of such practiices. Such obstructions have led to access difficultes for fire crews and ambulance services. Specific sites for wild camping are not highlighted by the lake district national park authority as this may cause localised issues.This type of activity, according to the authority, should be regarded as an adventure that involves a degree of self-discovery, one that includes exercising good planning and behaviuor and demonstrates a responsible attitude towards access rights with in the area. The larger the group,the harder it is to keep wild camping impacts to a minimum, so keep groups small. Remember that people have to make their living from the land. Camp as unobtrusively as possible. Remember too that noise travels far from tents,disturbing wildlife as well as humans.

GARY ENGLISH said:
Just a few words taken from a magazine. If you are caught wild camping in an area where it is not legal -or tolerated- you will be told to move on.As you have no legal right to stay,you must move on,no matter what the time of night or day. Overnight camping and careless parking by motorhome owners and caravans in the new forest lead to the parkwise campaign from the forestry commission. This sets out to highlight the dangers of such practiices. Such obstructions have led to access difficultes for fire crews and ambulance services. Specific sites for wild camping are not highlighted by the lake district national park authority as this may cause localised issues.This type of activity, according to the authority, should be regarded as an adventure that involves a degree of self-discovery, one that includes exercising good planning and behaviuor and demonstrates a responsible attitude towards access rights with in the area. The larger the group,the harder it is to keep wild camping impacts to a minimum, so keep groups small. Remember that people have to make their living from the land. Camp as unobtrusively as possible. Remember too that noise travels far from tents,disturbing wildlife as well as humans.
read that too in camping and caravanning club magazine looks again like the few whom leave mess behind and stay in big groups or in places for too long spoil it for others who are more careful

I think that it depends where you are parked up that in the end matters. I think it was Lady Barnet that directed a search for "s61 criminal justice and public order act 1994" for a lot of legal bumf that I don't fully understand. I've come to the conclusion that a single MH parked unobtusively and legally can get away with a lot. Otherwise where signs such as "No camping" require a court order and seen as the police are not "interested" does it not become civil matter and who is going to bother for a single MH that will be going the next day? But at the end of the day if asked to move on who is not going to

PaulC said:
I think that it depends where you are parked up that in the end matters. I think it was Lady Barnet that directed a search for "s61 criminal justice and public order act 1994" for a lot of legal bumf that I don't fully understand. I've come to the conclusion that a single MH parked unobtusively and legally can get away with a lot. Otherwise where signs such as "No camping" require a court order and seen as the police are not "interested" does it not become civil matter and who is going to bother for a single MH that will be going the next day? But at the end of the day if asked to move on who is not going to
stop late leave early no one sees u and no one complains i suppose

GARY ENGLISH said:

i was led to believe that overnight camping of any sort is illegal by local council by-laws ,except on official sites, below 1500ft in the lakes.

john. :confused:

i will just try & respect the area i choose to stay..its very rare to get moved on although that doesnt mean it'll never happen....just be sensible..sammx

Wild and Sites

I must admit, when we first got our motorhome we had visions of parking anywhere within reason. It is not as easy as we thought.:eek:
The main problems for us is security of the van. Not for ourselves but worrying about some yob putting a dent in the side and spoiling our pride and joy or breaking in when unattended. :eek: And campsites ,many have to be booked up weeks in advance and for us that is out of the question!:eek:
Just depends where you live.:confused:

With regards to wildcamping in the Lakes been illegal by local council laws, does this not apply to all national parks? I seem to have a long lost memory of it been so!

Pappajohn,regarding your point about the 1500ft mark.Are you referring about a generally accepted guidemark about wild ( tent ) camping which is usually described as being acceptable above the mountain wall??.I,m not quite sure that there is a rule, more of an accepted practice.I regularly go backpacking and have never encountered problems,nor have I with a motorhome in the lakes

stevek said:
Pappajohn,regarding your point about the 1500ft mark.Are you referring about a generally accepted guidemark about wild ( tent ) camping which is usually described as being acceptable above the mountain wall??.I,m not quite sure that there is a rule, more of an accepted practice.I regularly go backpacking and have never encountered problems,nor have I with a motorhome in the lakes

hi stevek,
i thought it was a by-law but i'm probably wrong. last time we went we stayed at park copice c/van club site because of my interpretation of this.
we where going to park near kirkstone pass inn (hell of a slog up there with 3tonnes and a 2.3ltr diesel) :eek: only to find 'no overnight parking' signs at the carpark entrance.
next time we go we'll chance it wild and see what happens ;) .
thanks for the correction.

john

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back