Wild Camping around Applecross and Wester Ross

lawson

We're hiring a 6 berth motor caravan later this year and plan to tour Wester Ross between Applecross and Ullapool, but mainly the Gairloch area sticking to the coast roads.
Can anyone tell me what the wild camping possibilities are like in the area - and water/toilet disposal facilities??
I'm also told we should not attempt the Cattle Pass approach to Applecross - any views on that also??
Many Thanks

Laurence

keep your eyes on the lists for the next few weeks.
I have finally put all the lists together and into counties [bl***dy he** phil
the old system was easier] and I shall now enter the sites.
due to the time lag there will be one a day going on.
I have also finished updating the template of sites so will contributors please e-mail me again and I shall send the things out again.
I will also start a separate contact list so that i can send them out regularly. as along as we get more contributions

Hi

I would go with the recommendation not to try the "pass of the cattle" it is hair raising in a car let alone a motor home, believe me. It is 10 times more "difficult" than any of the passes in the Lake District I've tried. Forget it! Applecross is just not worth the hassle and the coast road north is nothing special. Stick to the Gairloch and Ullapool area.

regards

we went to skye a couple of years back and then up thru wester ross to inverness. we didn't stop over anywhere there but saw many possible sites. it seemed to be a very flat area and windswept too. I don't think you will be stuck for places to wild up there.
enjoy

We travelled on the pass several years ago in a litle Fiat Amigo,certainly breathtaking. I don't know whether I would recomend it or not.

i think it is well worth going up the pass i have takern a 17ft coachbuilt up it last year [2004] yes it can be tight on some of the bends and you may have too pass on the wrong side but on a clear day the views over skye wiil never be forgotten, just take your time ,let others over take ,and keep your eyes on the road and when you get to the top you can park and rest ,enjoy :D

Reminds me of the lesser known passes in Switzerland, boy were they narrow and wheels right on the edge of a sheer drop.

Absolutely frightening and I was younger then,
now I think I'd have to wear a nappie!

Greetings,
Ian

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back