Wild camp in supermarkets & other oddities

tintin

One reason I joined is I'd heard through a friend about information on the Wild Camping site about being able to park in supermarket car parks. I've searched through but cannot find a previous posting. Has anyone tried camping in supermarkets, industrial estates or any other location that might be considered 'a little different'? I'd be really interested to hear of some alternative town-based options that members know to be possible (I'm not sure about parking in residential areas either). :eek:

some tesco allow you if you ask the manager may be other supermarkets do
it is quite normal in france and some have facilitys

In France 'Super U' is generally very motorhomefriendly (parking, petrol, shopping, free facilities ...especially in the allready MH-friendly regions Normandy and Brittanny) and they got it right: provide an overnight spot, petrol and do your errands, everyone benefits....
And other chains seems to follow: Carrefour, Leclerc, Match... Let's only hope this idea spreads out beyond France :confused:
In the UK Tesco could have the lead for this. :confused: Maybe in this times of recession it could be a small boost in their figures :eek: I cannot imagine a local Tesco-manager (or other supermarket) could afford it now to chase a decent motorhomer off his parking, when this one spends his money in their store !

supermarket car parks

i have also used tesco car parks.
ask someone and they are usually ok

live long and prosper:D:)

i have seen the odd van at tesco in barnsley overnighting some industrial estates can be a safe bet if not the most glamorous places to over night as there are usually some trucks about also most companies have security 24 7 after all its only a place to kip and away early next day continue your travels

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your help guys/girls. If anyone else knows any options I'd be pleased to hear. Also, if anyone knows where I stand legally if I just park up in a residential area I'd appreciate the insight. Tintin

Finding a good parking spot is always a bit hit and miss. The first thing we do is look at the parking area - are there broken beer bottles lying around? lots of rubber on the road from burnouts/donuts? 24 hour lighting (its a pain and makes you stick out)? lots of graffiti? cameras? lots of pubs close by? rubbish spilling out of bins? smell - surprising how often a wall gets used as a urinal if a pub is close by!!!

We avoid those areas like the plague.

Residential streets will depend on the area, but for us it is always a last resort, or we are staying with friends. I think you are more likely to attract unwanted attention from a concerned resident who thinks that pikies are moving in and has images of cars being dismantled on their grass verge.

That said, we've parked up in central Berlin on a residential street without problems.

I'm sure in my local supermarket there is a sign tucked away, which means it's hard to spot, on the wall that states something like (... this is the property of ***** and can only be used for parking whilst shopping...". I'll check tomorrow.

we like to find a laybie or some other parking spot in the middle of nowhere, chances of trouble are very remote. after all not many trouble causers or idiots cruse lonely places just on the off chance they may find a van parked up,they are more likely to find more targets in a built up area. but just on the off chance they do i have a little something that will cause there eyes to water and cough quite a lot:D:D:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I've beeen down this morning and can not find it, i did say it was hard to spot! I'm sure it says "..legal action will be taken...". There are more reasons to shop here , but that is not one.

Last edited:
Wild Camping

As we all know parking in UK is problamitic. BUT a good free spot is like gold dust.

My best find is in Dover, handy for the Ferries. Thr large Tesco car Park above the ferries, is Motor Home friendly, and the seafront area right on the Dover promenade has large parking bays that are FREE of chrage evening till 9am in the morning.

France has literally thousands of spots to park, many free, but virtually every small hamplet has an area for camping cars. Just ask when you get to the town, some are really excellent.

As a truck driver and wild camper(uk and france)I use industrial estates and some superstore car parks a fair bit.The main problem at the moment is signs appearing banning overnight parking on such sites,alot of the problem is from our foriegn truckers taking up residence for days and not worring to much what mess they leave(or type come to that)-moan aside I work on there is security in numbers ie:if others park its normally a good sign.Beware not to park on private ind estates some have a clamping policy as I found out earlier this year(left me £155 lighter). Although parking in their numbers you'll find that lorry drivers have usually found a quiet spot for their early bedtimes and early rises with enough space to turn themselves around, if necessary, in the morning.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back