White Melamine Mugs...

clarkson

Ok, the Mrs and I have bought a picnic hamper set that has four white melamine mugs with it. After much use at VW shows, picnics and wildcamping they have begun to stain. Is it safe to use a diluted bleach solution on melamine or will effect them adversely?

Thanks.

try bicarb of soda we have some that stained so soaked them in bleach :eek::( :mad: in the bin they went carnt get the taste out:p

we went even better than that. we bought some real mugs.
at about £1.50 each if the get broken, what the hell. buy some more.:cool:

***** said:
We also use real mugs and ours were even cheaper (FOC) ha ha ha:D
WE also use real glasses for our plonk:D
ya gotta have real glass for ya booze PLASTIC yuk

unfortunatly we'd need a set a night with shirl useing 'em. they only break when empty so it seems.:eek: :eek:

pappajohn said:
unfortunatly we'd need a set a night with shirl useing 'em. they only break when empty so it seems.:eek: :eek:
good excuse to keep em full opps just checked mine looksempty:eek:

I think I'm gonna replace then with some tin enameled mugs. China is far too heavy, I'm trying to keep the weight down. Thanks for the replies.

clarkson said:
Ok, the Mrs and I have bought a picnic hamper set that has four white melamine mugs with it. After much use at VW shows, picnics and wildcamping they have begun to stain. Is it safe to use a diluted bleach solution on melamine or will effect them adversely?

Thanks.
Use one of those foam magic erasers - JML and Duzzit are two brands we've seen. They also work on pot mugs.

Graham

white melmine mugs

clarkson said:

Thanks.

Try soaking your teeth in them get two jobs fer the price of one:D :eek:

clarkson said:

Thanks.
try a quite cheap solution of vinegar (the acid in it is mild but good at cleaning and removing limescale) and water. we use proper mugs and if you weigh a "china" one and a melamine one there is not really all that much difference pottery ones weigh more. haven't broken one in a year (have done at home though)

melamine!

I can see two sides to melamine crockery and plastic glasses, I hate my chuck when eaten from plastic and chateauneuf from anything other than glass! If the french had seen me in the summer they'd have guillotined us! On the other hand,cos we do quite like a good portion of the falling down water, we do, only occassionally mind!, lose hand to eye control and drop things! So we seem destined to plastic and melamine. The melamine after each sortie gets a little bashing with a brillo pad and the glasses when they get that red glow from impregnated wine stains I soak them in hot water and fairy (not the fairies I see when I'm drinkin the stuff!) When the life span peters out (usually a few months hard camping) I buy some more from a place in Jedburgh, don't know what it's called cos the memsaab has it in her filing system and that could mean with the lost tribes of the amazon for all I know. But I usually just type in melamine, camping, Jedburgh The four of everything usual set is about £9 (ADMIN THIS IS NOT AN ADVERT!!!):D :D

clarkson said:
I think I'm gonna replace then with some tin enameled mugs. China is far too heavy, I'm trying to keep the weight down. Thanks for the replies.

Only one thing to say about Tin Enameled mugs, and that is "YUK".
Reminds me of camping with the Scouts in the 50s tea leaves in the bottom, (and floating).
Tone

Boppintone said:
Only one thing to say about Tin Enameled mugs, and that is "YUK".
Reminds me of camping with the Scouts in the 50s tea leaves in the bottom, (and floating).
Tone

That is the bit I love about camping, it reminds me of my youth in the Army Cadets and doing Duke of Edingburgh's Award. Drinking out of tin mugs and cooking in mess tins is what camping is all about.

***** said:
You can't drink wine out of anything other than glass, except in an emergency;) :D
That's OK, I only drink beer and scotch :D

Graham

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back