Where to go ?

TWS

Just trying to pick your brains, we are planning our first full weekends wild camping, quite fancy the lakes or south west Scotland D&G, my B/H and myself want to stop somewhere where we will feel safe and sound for our first time, can anyone come up with any good spots that you have maybe used yourself, many thanks for your help.

That's a good recommendation lenny - been there a few times. Occasionally get a boy racer but they've never stayed once they see vans there. :eek: Some Dutch folk go there a lot - met them a few times.

Another good place we've used is on the road up past Ae..turn off A701 near Parkgate, go past Ae village and all the forestry turnings. After a few miles you come to a curving layby separated from the road by a grass bank. Good if youve got a dog to walk. Or if you carry on up to Loch Ettrick there are several spots on the left, including another separated layby on the way down the hill after you've passed the loch.

The only time I don't really recommend these higher spots is if its frosty or snowy cos they dont grit that road.

Have a great weekend!:)

Heres one of Messengers little havens:rolleyes:;)

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=43315&postcount=10

Send him a PM and I,m sure he will help you out:)

BTW ,I,m off up that way this weekend with a friend I met here If you,re interested in joining us,(Safety in numbers and all that):cool:

If you do go into Dumfries Lenny there is a pub called the Queensbury its part of a chain Smith and Jones they offer a discount card for £2-20% off all food so use it once and you have your money back also have 21 different locations around the country,Andy.

Thanks for the replys and the offer Lenny, I used to work in Dumfries many years ago, nice place, my unit is having an alarm fitted on Friday, so we are gonna have to wait till Saturday before we can head off, we are gonna take a trip to my old school area up the north tyne somewhere near Bellingham or Kielder.

Thanks for the replys and the offer Lenny, I used to work in Dumfries many years ago, nice place, my unit is having an alarm fitted on Friday, so we are gonna have to wait till Saturday before we can head off, we are gonna take a trip to my old school area up the north tyne somewhere near Bellingham or Kielder.

No problem,enjoy your weekend,great choice of countryside:)

If you,re a little nervy about wilding ,you can always try the Redesdale Arms pub on the A68 North of Otterburn.

Good luck,whatever your choice;):)

Lenny you are star, what a good idea, I recall seeing a post about someone using the Redesdale arms on the 68, never been there for years, that might be an ideal spot for a bit of dinner and stop.

Thanks

Tom

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back