where can i sleep?

sniper

Hi all just want to ask a quick question.Im getting a camper to go to london in as i am doing a corse and its 3 weeks long.I dont want to waste my money on hotels or B&B's so was thinking get a camper and sleep in that.I will be at the corse till 5:30pm so will only need to sleep in the van.Can i just park up and kip in it??Will save me a load of cash...Any help will be welcome :D thanks....Stu

First things first - Does the Camper conform the emission standards for London?
Then, in what part of London do you intend to be doing your course?

Last edited by a moderator:
its not ctr of london its in crawley west sussex sorry for the mixup

Now you're in with a chance for Wilding it. I wouldn't want to Wild It in Central London

Parking in London

It's pretty difficult to find free all day parking in London. You'll have to commute in from an outer suburb.

It's going to be quite cold this time of year as well. You might want to consider staying in a hostel instead? They're centrally located, warm, have showers/toilet facilities, are great place to meet people and will cost you approx £300 for 4 weeks.

If you need more details let me know - I hostel hopped for nearly 3 months and loved it!

Cheers
Sean

thanks mate i want to get van to see if i like it then i can use it for weekends ayay so it kills 2 birds with 1 stone

Where can I sleep

its not ctr of london its in crawley west sussex sorry for the mixup

Hi, if you come off of the M23 at juction 10( I'm sure that is the right one) heading to Eastgrinstead about 300 yards there are two laybys. I have seen people wild camping there but it is quite busy with lorries parked over night and people parking there cars there early in the morning. Hope this is of some help.
Alan

I'd avoid parking in Crawley, just had the vibes last year that it could be noisy at night.

If you want a really nice spot, drive out to South Holmwood (20kms away??) and at the corner of Mill Rd and Blackbrook Rd there is nice little parking area, further North along Blackbrook Rd is another park on the West side of the road.

Throughout the area around Crawley there are lots of little parking bays adjacent to either National Trust properties or parkland on the small back lanes. I'd get there a day early and hunt up a few spots and move to another one every day, that way you wont attract the attention of the locals who think they are being invaded by Pikies. Staying three weeks in one spot is probably asking for trouble.

Good advice from Roger about moving daily, it's what i do. I don't know Crawley but often sleep in other towns. I have a semi converted transit with no windows so it doesen't look like a camper. I drive round residential areas until I find a place that looks like my van will fit in, for me that's a more down market area but not too rough looking, with other work vans around. Somewhere with fairly wide streets and not too much camber. Also need to learn to try'n guess how noisy it will be in the morning, some places lots of people rush off to work early. I find I often get a better nights sleep in town than in the country.
God luck :D
Marc

shouldn't have too much of a problem down there last time we were down there we stayed at brentford rail station for 4 hours were not disturbed once :D no one really bothers in the london area they seem to get on with there own life and dont bother what others do

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back