where can I park when I arrive in France via the tunnel?

cinder

Am taking my first trip on the continent early July and have booked a 10.50pm
crossing on the tunnel. As it will be after midnight when I reach Calais I do not want to drive far. Does anyone know if I can park somewhere around the tunnel, or anywhere very close? Would feel far more confident starting my euoropean driving in daylight!
Thanks in anticipation for any replies I might get!

have a look at the france section south of calais ***** is correct it is better to find somewhere safe definatly not a lay by

Hi we always take night crossing to and from calais, and we usually if not wanting to drive thro' the night stay on the aire in calais (designated motorhome parking with dump station and water point)which is a few minutes from the port, and you can watch the ferries from it! We have stopped there many times now and there even off peak times are many motor homes parked there, we have never had a security issue parking there either i will get you a gps or street name for this aire should you need it, but the link in the previous post is a good one! but we use camperstop, and a few other books for reference for aires camping cars in fact we never venture over with out them! and the only thing we book is the crossing leaving us free to go wherever the mood takes us! Best of luck with your first outing !! I remember ours and it was great ( but we did huge mileage and soon learned to slow it down because there was always next time!!!)and have never looked back, in fact in feb this year we did the Mosel in germany, luxembourg and finnished off with a drink in brugge parked on the aire there by the marina 2 mins out of the town! Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, feeling a bit calmer now I now there are aires close bye!
Have looked at the link, the two that seem nearest are Grande Synthe or
Gravelines, which would you reccommend?
I havent got a set route, Im going to go where the mood takes me! Have bought the france passion book, so am hoping to stay on the sites listed there, eventually finishing in Spain. I lived there for many years, but am sure I will see it differently through the eyes of a motorhomer! What is Spain like for free stopovers? Never paid any attention when I lived there!
Thanks again everyone.

calais crossing

note it is not always cheaper to go on night crossings
we find lunch times are sometimes cheaper check all times before you book as the prices change like the wind

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back