When to sell a van?

RSD7a

We're going to change our 2 berth PVC for a 4 berth/4 belted seats to accommodate grandchildren for short trips.
Now we've made the decision I'm keen to crack on but the question is will I lose much money by not waiting til the spring or is seasonality not much of an issue these days? We'll be buying new from a dealer (Devon Conversions) so we won't be buying in the same used market we'll be selling in.

If you have decided on the price you want then you can put it on now and simply don't take any low offers.

Providing of course that you advertise it freely such as on here. You've nothing to lose that way and if it doesn't sell then it will automatically revert to plan 'B' ie. the Spring.

I'm not sure the seasons matter that much anyway these days, many people prefer the Winter months when it is less busy and modern vans are built to handle the cold better.

Having said all that I suppose it depends on the turnaround from Devon Conversions if you don't want to be without a van for too long?

Good luck with Devon conversions, we picked ours up from them 3 weeks ago (not new, but in as new condition).
Their prices (for a small converter) are quite reasonable, but maybe they don't have all the extras (like vantage /autosleeper etc) as standard.
You probably already know, but getting a pre registered van from them saves a lot.
Good company to deal with, in a very old fashioned way!

Just noticed you already have a Devon, so ignore the above!! Good luck with the new van when you get it.

Last edited:
Sell anytime you get the dosh you want or very very close, they are going like hot cakes all year round, I blame wildcamping for this. 😂
We trick, when someone comes to see it get someone to ph you after about ten mins and excuse yourself but stand just in hearing distance, pretend to talk to a potensial buyer and say no some one is looking at it now could you ph back in 15/20 mins, then get a second pretend call in 15 min, excuse youself again and just within earshot say now i would rather you came and looked at it before forwarding any monies to my back, better for you and fair to the folks looking at it now, in most cases they will over here you and buy witout to much haggaling, worked for me selling many a car. ;)

Last edited:
Hard to say as next year it will be another year older but more people will be buying in the spring probably. That said some say the market is slowing down.

I would be tempted to advertise it now. Try it on some of the free sites and forums, see if there is much interest. I sold my motorhome three months ago on Facebook Market place in less than 24 hours and could have sold in six times over. Just be wary of the scammers and morons. Don't give your phone number out either. Just do it by message and check out the buyers profiles.

Hard to say as next year it will be another year older but more people will be buying in the spring probably. That said some say the market is slowing down.

I would be tempted to advertise it now. Try it on some of the free sites and forums, see if there is much interest. I sold my motorhome three months ago on Facebook Market place in less than 24 hours and could have sold in six times over. Just be wary of the scammers and morons. Don't give your phone number out either. Just do it by message and check out the buyers profiles.
And cash exchange in your bank.

Good luck with Devon conversions, we picked ours up from them 3 weeks ago (not new, but in as new condition).
Their prices (for a small converter) are quite reasonable, but maybe they don't have all the extras (like vantage /autosleeper etc) as standard.
You probably already know, but getting a pre registered van from them saves a lot.
Good company to deal with, in a very old fashioned way!

Just noticed you already have a Devon, so ignore the above!! Good luck with the new van when you get it.
Yes good honest vans. Prob swapping from Arizona to Sahara. Got our Devon Arizona as a 2019 conversion on an 18 plate 10k miles Relay. Very keen price.

I bought and sold vans, spring is better of course but people want a van when they want it if its what they like, get it on ebay classified 30 quid is for 30 days.

Sell anytime you get the dosh you want or very very close, they are going like hot cakes all year round, I blame wildcamping for this. 😂
We trick, when someone comes to see it get someone to ph you after about ten mins and excuse yourself but stand just in hearing distance, pretend to talk to a potensial buyer and say no some one is looking at it now could you ph back in 15/20 mins, then get a second pretend call in 15 min, excuse youself again and just within earshot say now i would rather you came and looked at it before forwarding any monies to my back, better for you and fair to the folks looking at it now, in most cases they will over here you and buy witout to much haggaling, worked for me selling many a car. ;)
Is your name Arfur Daley?

Is your name Arfur Daley?

More like those vacuum cleaner salemen from back in the eighties. I can't remember the company now but when they came to ours they asked to use the 'phone and pretended to ring their boss and said something like "What's that you say, if he signs today he gets 10% off, that's amazing! But only today you say..."

I picked the 'phone up and redialled the last number which was the speaking clock and then told them to **** off out of my house.

Was it Kirby vacuum cleaners?

All car salesmen ply these and many more tricks on punters, you only need one in a hundred to fall for it, remember i worked in two big car outfits.

We're going to change our 2 berth PVC for a 4 berth/4 belted seats to accommodate grandchildren for short trips.
Now we've made the decision I'm keen to crack on but the question is will I lose much money by not waiting til the spring or is seasonality not much of an issue these days? We'll be buying new from a dealer (Devon Conversions) so we won't be buying in the same used market we'll be selling in.
They will rob you, they always do, but you may get some discount at the NEC in October then wait until next spring for delivery. They are keen to sell at NEC the cost of s pitch there for them is fantasmagorickle. If they make the numbers they need early in the show they won't be so bothered to discount, but if nearer the end of the show they don"t have the numbers they will discount harder - it's just how it is. Almost aggree a deal with their offer then walk away not
sure etc etc, ask them to call you tomoro for a yes or no then screw them down more - it should work for you too.

More like those vacuum cleaner salemen from back in the eighties. I can't remember the company now but when they came to ours they asked to use the 'phone and pretended to ring their boss and said something like "What's that you say, if he signs today he gets 10% off, that's amazing! But only today you say..."

I picked the 'phone up and redialled the last number which was the speaking clock and then told them to **** off out of my house.

Was it Kirby vacuum cleaners?
Yep that's the one, then the other guy asks to use your toilet and refills your mouthwash with his hidden hose !

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:156)

Robmac, runnach, izwozral, Wully, MartinFife, mark61, bdastu, marchie, AllanD, Boris7, andyjanet, korky, Mossystone, The laird, Canalsman, ewen, number14, TJBi, witzend, TeamRienza, saxonborg, oppy, alcam, Bigshug, Heppy, Nabsim, trevskoda, jacquigem, wildebus, campervanannie, RichardHelen262, DTF, Martin P, davep10000, JVG, yeoblade, Duetto 1999, Topmast, NSY, guerdeval, smg, pamjon, barryd, bazzybabes, clarkpeacock, Pauljenny, belbri, Monkeybrand, Owen M, merl, Fisherman, kingfisher1, reiverlad, Herbenny, Obanboy666, jeanette, Wooie1958, tobym, ajb70, Doigy, Alberto, myvanwy, rambrose, mariesnowgoose, Hotrats13, chrishunter, tipper trucker, cooperman, V1nny, cornish hymer, iampatman, lthoel2, stonedaddy, Ellendale, Ed on Toast, b0p, Ken Parsons, Andys, Bouydog, Rob H, eggbeater, Tapfitter, davef, LesleyC, Steve and Julie, AndyJL, hymerman1994, ricc, TonyandJo, bmc, tannerrocklands, Bazza1509, mopedracer, knowledgeseeker, horlicks, Elfit, Sue Paskins, Alun100, Rutaria, bellars, VandA, WingNut, MikeRS, rustydog, barge1914, Pudsey Bear, noarlunga, exwindsurfer, jeffmossy, Otter1959, r4dent, Rod, Mandoman, ton27, bnb080, gypo, edina, Saorsa, GeorgeK, Pandaman2020, Moocher, longtoedsloth, Gerry Attrick, Mobilvetta, julesanian, macberran, gettingolder2, Tinapow, JQB, denmar, jann, Peter51, AdriaTwin, Owlsnest56, outdoorellen, maxsdad, gemmat, CleverTrevorUK, Palette, Sailorjo, Ted, Charlynch, RoadTrek Boy, Scotia, centerman, molly 2, bazil, yogibear, Bubble, Beldea, domandcarole, Drover, Rapido9, The Lone Ranger, bjh, trevexess,
Back