Wheel Thieves?

bassplayer

Just a short tale of woe from last October. (not that short really).
On my way back from Orkney last October I had a blow out on the rear of my motorhome about sixty miles north of Fort William. I changed over to the spare and carried on my way. I stopped at Morrisons petrol station in Fort William to check the pressure in my spare, to check the wheel nuts, and to fuel up. I then went onto the supermarket carpark and popped into the supermarket to get some chewing gum. I was back in the van within a few minutes. About a mile out of Fort William (heading south) the wheel I had replaced came off the van and I only narrowly avoided a nasty accident as the van proceeded to use all of the road, verge, and footpath for some considerable distance. On examining where I once had a wheel I was perplexed to find that four wheel nuts were missing and one wheel stud was snapped. I never did find the wheel I suspect it was somewhere in the loch. The local AA crew recovered my van back to Spean Bridge and put it up on blocks so it was level enough to stop overnight. The next day the AA stumped up for the labour and running about, and I paid for the new wheel and wheel studs etc. This got me mobile and was quicker than having to relay an immoveable van back to Darlington.
The thing is, I used to be a diesel fitter, and if theres one thing I do know, its making sure that your wheel nuts are tight enough! I really couldn't understand how the wheel came off. It was only last week that I was talking to an acquaintance in the pub and recounting this tale of woe that I got an inkling of what may have happened. The guy I was talking to is a security guard at Morrisons in Darlington. He'd been on holiday near Fort William in November and seen two of the Transit pickup uninsured cruising the Morrisons car park. They stopped next to a delivery van and started to take a wheel off. He shouted across the carpark and asked them what they were doing and they jumped in their pickup and legged it. He went into the shop and informed the staff of what had happened. I don't usually use stereotypes, and I believe people should live however they like. However, I do seriously wonder whether these two gents or some of their bretheren were disturbed by my returning to my van so quickly and abandoned their task leaving me with only one wheelnut out of the five! If so they came close to killing me and my mate Jamie. I for one will not be leaving my van unoccupied in that particular car park ever again. And I always walk around the van before I set off, just to see that all the wheel nuts are in place whenever I've parked anywhere now.

just goes to show you need to be extra carefull when leaving your vehicle anywhere,you would never think anything like that would ever happen,maybe a good option would be locking wheel nuts i think i will invest in some now.you were so lucky & i will be sure to do a walk round EVERY time now, sam x

Mat be not

sammclouis said:
just goes to show you need to be extra carefull when leaving your vehicle anywhere,you would never think anything like that would ever happen,maybe a good option would be locking wheel nuts i think i will invest in some now.you were so lucky & i will be sure to do a walk round EVERY time now, sam x
I had locking wheel nuts on my bear buggy & the garage had to cut one off :eek: as even with the air tool they could not remove it.:eek:
And guess what? they had put it on the day b4.:mad:
I removed all of my locking wheel nuts immediately as I change my own wheels.

yes i suppose there are pro's & cons to locking wheel nuts,i will definately do a visual walk round everytime even if only left for 5 minutes,its well worth making the effort if it saves your life,sam x

bassplayer said:
Just a short tale of woe from last October.
God dont these people know what they are doing they could cause a serious accident, I think you are lucky to able to tell this tale at all.

Hazel, Brazil etc

Whilst not on my MH, we had something similar happen some years ago when driving a Ford Transit van and towing the racer at home at night, a wheel overtook me, luckily there was a lay-by just a few hundred yards up the road, so stopped and located the wheel out of the hedgerow and as all the wheel nuts had disappeared I had to pinch one wheel nut from the other three wheels on the trailer so I could limp home!

I regularly check my nuts now! ;)

Travelling along the Thorney Straight between Peterborough & Guyhern we had a loose wheel head straight towards our car. It was travelling faster than the on-coming traffic overtaking everything. It had 3 choices. Hit our front end and go over the top. Hit our front end and come through the windscreen or hit our front end & richochette back up the road off the bumper. It did the latter, my passenger,my wife didn't see it hit us as I had pushed her head down below the windscreen. Completely wrote off the front end of the car. Very nasty and never did find out where it came from.

It was the second most frightening thing thats happened to me since being shelled by the Egyptions in 1956.
The strange thing was ,we didn't see a three wheeled car all day!

Wheels

1975: On my way back from Southeast Asia, arriving in Turkey heading home (Germany) I overnighted in the city of Ankara, down a side street. Headed into town for supplies. On returning, I found my rear wheel missing. My MH was on blocks of concrete. 3 kids a few metres away, offered to put my wheel back on for a sum of money. I objected, they tod me, no money, no wheel. I had to give in, in the end. It cost me 30p, the equivalent in their currency. As I type this I can only smile to myself at the advertisement we have on TV at the moment about the mushy peas. "No peas, no deal"

Memories

David & Ann said:
1975: On my way back from Southeast Asia, arriving in Turkey heading home (Germany) I overnighted in the city of Ankara, down a side street. Headed into town for supplies. On returning, I found my rear wheel missing. My MH was on blocks of concrete. 3 kids a few metres away, offered to put my wheel back on for a sum of money. I objected, they tod me, no money, no wheel. I had to give in, in the end. It cost me 30p, the equivalent in their currency. As I type this I can only smile to myself at the advertisement we have on TV at the moment about the mushy peas. "No peas, no deal"

This reminds me of my European driving days.
We frequently parked up in Cosalada (Madrid) & the kids always wanted 200 pts to watch over the trucks.
It was 200 pts not to vandalize them.
Well worth paying for piece of mind :eek: :D :p

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back