what tv set up do you have ?

CRAZYCAMPERS

at the moment we are using a small tv, that we used when we used to be camping under the stars.
we are thinking of changing to a new set up that we can play dvds too.
we wondered if anyone had used a laptop and stick tv that receives digital tv via the usb port.
any other recomendations would be welcomed

mine is a 3 quid car boot sale job sony portable had it 18 month works perfect :D:D also a free veiw box same source £5 and a small dvd player £5, 13 quid altogether. could use my hd goodmans gtv20w7hdmi lcd one but use it as a computer monitor at the moment .

we use a slide out car specific tv connected to dvd and top box,last 2 run via 300 watt inverter,only got 7 in screen but find it plenty try to see the scenery when away net sit inside but its good for the kids on a wet day.

very rare we use ours, to much to do and see when away so no point in spending a lot on something we dont use that much. we prefer a board game or two .

If you look in the shops a lot of TV's these days are made to run on 12volts but have a pluggy inny thing to reduce the power down from mains. Don't pay extra money for something supposedly made specially for 12 volts.

at the moment we are using a small tv, that we used when we used to be camping under the stars.
we wondered if anyone had used a laptop and stick tv that receives digital tv via the usb port.

Hi we have a tv tuner (I dont know if they are all the same but you plug the tv aerial in it) and use the laptop,as we spend little time in this country,and dont have a satalitte dish, we always used the laptop to watch dvd's, and we don't have tom tom, so we use it for Auto Route, and have a this:

http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?CatID=32&FamID=60&ProdID=379

For our wifi, but the tv tuner is handy, because in the uk, we can watch tv, and we record films off the tv, and put them on disc or just store them in the memory until you have watched them. We have Just taken the tv out of the van, I think we only used it 4 times last 18 months. And the laptop does everything. :eek::D Bob.

We use AVTEC all in one which is in our bedroom the tv is 12v 240 also

Hia
I use my laptop (reword that workds laptop) as my tv. Bought the pen usb thing from tesco £3 something.
It works ok for tv and dvd's
I plug my areil in and electric no problems. Was/am thinking of treating myself to a 15'' flat screen for Christmas but now I think about it
WHY
for the amount of time I watch tv
Think I might buy myself a stereo system instead :D:D

mistake

It is this new fangled currency Polly

Lets go back to Pounds shillings and pence.:D

Weez
Tony

Hia
decided to spend my piggy bank savings on a nintendo ds and the brian training :D:D:D

We run a 15" Kenmark (Comet's own I think) LCD TV with built in DVD player running on 12v (As the other guy said look round the back of most LCD TV's and if they're less than 17" most run on a 240v power supply). Was £145 a yr ago, probably less now! Also use an ASDA 12v Freeview box, but have only got it to work nr Poole!

I think it's still too early to obtain Freeview in most of England - not coming to Anglia until 2011!!!

????do you know if this setup would work from a sky box to the laptop with this stick thing any details of a proper name for the stick and if it could be done would be apreachted???

????do you know if this setup would work from a sky box to the laptop with this stick thing any details of a proper name for the stick and if it could be done would be apreachted???

Yes, you need one of these:
http://www.satcure.com/accs/page4.htm#lowcost
which converts the digibox scart output to a coax signal for an analogue tv stick such as this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hauppauge-WinTV-USB_W0QQitemZ280284962705QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW?hash=item280284962705&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
in the usb port. Beware that the modulator requires a 240v supply.
Its a bit of a messy system needing an inverter to supply the digibox and modulator,but, if you have a laptop anyway, saves space as no tv is required.
You can by a usb satellite decoder for a laptop but our experience of this was disasterous- very hard to lock onto satellites.
In the UK we use a digistick in a usb for freeview on the laptop which all runs off 12v altthough now BBC iplayer is improving, its easy to take a lot of stuff on the hard drive so no messing with aerials etc.

Last edited:
tv

Our van came with two options when we bought in new just over 3 years ago, pay the extra £1k and get an wind out awning, microwave and flip down TV with DVD player and digibox built in or don't pay the £1k and you cannot have the van because we are not making the first batch without these. Smacks of Henry Ford, any colour you want as long as it is black.

Anyway, it took me best part of 9 months to master it and very often we still cannot get a digital signal. Also if you only have digital like me and you were on a site with poor tv reception so wanted to plug into the sites system unless it is digital it still wont work.

We don't bother with it now except for the odd DVD or to catch up on news/weather.

I would suggest that you consider if/when you use it before spending your hard earned cash. Spend as little as reasonably possible but cover yourself for both digital and good old analogue for the next 3 years.

Hope this helps. It certainly helped me having another rant about Lunar!

Jon

I just use a normal 240 volt 15" LCD TV, and a cheap domestic exterior arial on a pole that is fixed to my rear ladder. I always get all the freeview channels whenever i use it, but i only use it on a site when i've got hook up.
When i'm wilding i just occasionally use a 12V portable DVD player with a 7" screen, which uses next to no power and packs away in a small locker. A TV isn't really essential to me when i'm in the van.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back