What should I do, Sell it or drop off all the Goodies??????

GWAYGWAY

I have had a bypass operation which will require a lot of requirements to get a medical for my C1E. I have seen others having to run through hoops to get their medical and then taking months more to get a decision and get back on the road. this has left me with a quandary and a few options.
1. Sell my Hymer, MLI 580 as is, and lose so much money.
2. Reduce the weight down from 4200kgs where I raise it to carry a motorbike and anything else my heart wanted without worry, Was 3860kgs when I bought it.this would require a pile of things to be dropped off it to comply with the lower weight. I weighed it with a load of stuff off it and no water and little fuel , just me and it was 3300kg.which is not a good margin.

The things that would need to go are the ones that make it usable as below.
One gas bottle.
One battery.
Remove the tow bar. 69 kg
Remove the awning. 32kg
Remove the spare wheel.22 kg
Leave out the tools and spares.12 kgs
Remove the drop down bed.????? 75kg??
Remove the side seats and cupboard 20 kgs
Change the main table.12kgs
Forget about ever carrying more than 20litres of water. save 80 kgs
Travel with half a tank of fuel. 60 kg.
Leave most the food behind. 20kg.
Leave the EHU cable. 10kg
TV and satelite dish10kg.
Leave wife behind. 75 Kgs plus a hoard of clothes???????

It was listed by Hymers as being a 3500kg model but the things on it make the weight too close to be able to carry anything. Automatic gearbox , left side door, cooker,
and everything that they could fit in as an extra.
I do not know the best place to sell it now as the bottom has fallen out of the market and no dealer will look at it even though it is a Mercedes Automatic, and as such still desirable to most with taste.

Any ideas for me to do? Drop the weight for a weigh-bridge ticket then carry on as before.
I have a feeling if it goes then DVLA would promptly up the licence weights that no longer require a medical.

Not sure but one think i must say is not legal to carry a m bike in a camper, out back or trailer ok.

I sold the bike, and the garage doors were always closed anyway. they would need a search warrant to open it.
Nop customs and excise can go anywhere any time, they normley have cops with them, you can reg it as a showmans van and then it becomes legal,
All a lot of tosh if you ask me.

Getting that down to a workable 3.5 is a no go you will hate it. All you will say is if, if, if.every time you use it.

Can a 3.5 ton motorhome tow a wee trailer up to a certain wait or is the 3.5 ton the total wait with a trailer ?

Can a 3.5 ton motorhome tow a wee trailer up to a certain wait or is the 3.5 ton the total wait with a trailer ?
Up to 750 with no brakes, just under half the weight if braked, you will have to look into this if going over 750kg.
I can pull 2 tons with mine if brakes fitted & have done so, car on trailer.

It can tow a trailer ‘up to’ the gross train weight printed on the vehicle plate
Just to clarify. for those who don't know...
a) the Gross Train Weight is the max weight of the loaded MoHo plus the loaded trailer
b) the max weight of an unbraked trailer is 750kg including load,

i.e with a loaded MoHo of 4000 kg and a MGT of 5000kg you can tow
a braked trailer upto 1000 kg including load (4000 MoHo +1000 trailer = 5000 GTW)
or an unbraked trailer upto 750 Kg including load..

I have had a bypass operation which will require a lot of requirements to get a medical for my C1E. I have seen others having to run through hoops to get their medical and then taking months more to get a decision and get back on the road. this has left me with a quandary and a few options.
1. Sell my Hymer, MLI 580 as is, and lose so much money.
2. Reduce the weight down from 4200kgs where I raise it to carry a motorbike and anything else my heart wanted without worry, Was 3860kgs when I bought it.this would require a pile of things to be dropped off it to comply with the lower weight. I weighed it with a load of stuff off it and no water and little fuel , just me and it was 3300kg.which is not a good margin.

The things that would need to go are the ones that make it usable as below.
One gas bottle.

What batteries have you got? If you have lead Acid, you could remove both and fit a single Lithium - that will save you the weight of around 1.5 worth of batteries.
Remove the tow bar. 69 kg
Will you ever tow or use a towbat mounted carrier?
Remove the awning. 32kg
Some people apparently never use the awning. Do you? if not, lose it
Remove the spare wheel.22 kg
Lots of folk don't even have a spare wheel (I don't)
Leave out the tools and spares.12 kgs
Remove the drop down bed.????? 75kg??
Is the drop down bed ever used? removing it would really hurt resale and likely be hard to store for the new owner.
Remove the side seats and cupboard 20 kgs
Getting silly now?!
Change the main table.12kg
Use the table?
Forget about ever carrying more than 20litres of water. save 80 kgs
Lots of folk do that. Many Motorhomes have a 20L travel valve
Travel with half a tank of fuel. 60 kg.
fuel weight drops on every mile. staying max of 60kg is still filling to around 3/4?
Leave most the food behind. 20kg.
Leave the EHU cable. 10kg
if you never plan on plugging in, why not.
TV and satelite dish10kg.
Leave wife behind. 75 Kgs plus a hoard of clothes???????

It was listed by Hymers as being a 3500kg model but the things on it make the weight too close to be able to carry anything. Automatic gearbox , left side door, cooker,
and everything that they could fit in as an extra.
I do not know the best place to sell it now as the bottom has fallen out of the market and no dealer will look at it even though it is a Mercedes Automatic, and as such still desirable to most with taste.

Any ideas for me to do? Drop the weight for a weigh-bridge ticket then carry on as before.
I have a feeling if it goes then DVLA would promptly up the licence weights that no longer require a medical.

I reckon you have around 200Kg of weight you could shed there with minimal disruption. Throw in the wife and clothes and maybe got an extra 100Kg payload overall?

Back