What battery is it?

landrovereditor

I have an Adria SunLiving motorhome 2016 reg.
My leisure battery is 85ah and it is the original battery, no information as to exactly what it is.
The Electrobloc EBL 208 SG is set to lead gel, obviously the battery is either Gel or AGM.
Apart from 85ah on top there is no makers name on the side or anywhere on the battery.
I am wanting to replace it with 1 or 2 110ah batteries and a B2B charger, rather than go to solar power question is what kind of battery is my original? Photo attached.

IMG_1005.jpeg
IMG_1004.jpeg

In the link Colin provides it looks like an image of the battery you have in the description of flooded lead acid batteries. Are there any caps on top for topping up electrolyte or is it sealed?

Also looking at the link it seems that Multicell only list 85AH in their Flooded lead acid and Sealed for life lead acid ranges.

However, that may not have been the case in 2016 I suppose.

I have an Adria SunLiving motorhome 2016 reg.
My leisure battery is 85ah and it is the original battery, no information as to exactly what it is.
The Electrobloc EBL 208 SG is set to lead gel, obviously the battery is either Gel or AGM.
Apart from 85ah on top there is no makers name on the side or anywhere on the battery.
I am wanting to replace it with 1 or 2 110ah batteries and a B2B charger, rather than go to solar power question is what kind of battery is my original? Photo attached.
Surely it doesn't matter what type of battery it was because you're replacing it? Your charger has a gel setting so it's bound to have other settings too, all you need to do is make sure the new batteries you choose is catered for by one of the options on your charger.
Gel batteries go on the gel setting, AGM go on the AGM setting or on the 'Flooded' setting if AGM isn't an option. Flooded go on the flooded setting (funnily enough).
If you've got a lithium setting get those off of wildbus, they're a bargain. You'll need a B2B adding too though with lithium 🫤

Surely it doesn't matter what type of battery it was because you're replacing it? Your charger has a gel setting so it's bound to have other settings too, all you need to do is make sure the new batteries you choose is catered for by one of the options on your charger.
Gel batteries go on the gel setting, AGM go on the AGM setting or on the 'Flooded' setting if AGM isn't an option. Flooded go on the flooded setting (funnily enough).
If you've got a lithium setting get those off of wildbus, they're a bargain. You'll need a B2B adding too though 🫤
Price includes a schaudt 25A B2B that is designed to connect into an EBL unit. Honestly could not have an easier upgrade.

In the link Colin provides it looks like an image of the battery you have in the description of flooded lead acid batteries. Are there any caps on top for topping up electrolyte or is it sealed?
No it’s sealed with no vent. It’s got to be sealed as it in the habitation area.
If you are looking for a pair of batteries and a B2B, I might have a real bargain for you ..... https://motorhomer.com/threads/for-sale-lithium-batteries-b2b-charger-vsdr.48026/#post-317973
Check thr last Post for the price...
The more I read the more confused I get. My original idea of getting B2B set up with a larger gel leisure battery, from what I have read, is a non starter, gel needs to be charged at a low amperage, B2B gives a fast charge around 40amps.
Lithium is the way to go, or so I’m told, but costs more.
Your offer is great. How would it fit in with my system, this is the bit I can’t get to grips with.
Two Lithium batteries which will be charged via the alternator, this seems quite simple and I’m sure I could wire this in. BUT how will it integrate with the original equipment? The electrobloc EBL has only two charge settings lead acid or lead gel, can this br bypassed?
How would Lithium work when I’m parked at home? I usually plug into the mains when the van is not in use. Will the Lithium be fine with the trickle, 10amps max, I think, charge or would it damage the batteries?
Would any alterations need to be done to upgrade my existing wiring or do you just connect the Lithium batteries. I realise that, Fridge heating and cooking would be gas, okay.
I don’t want it all to go up in smoke.
Do you do installations as a trade and where are you based?
We are going to Blackpool, not been on a Rally before, just hoping at the moment to get by with just the 85amp leisure battery, this is reason I was thinking about replacing my 6 year old battery with a larger battery and this is how it all started.
As for Solar, which I considered and dismissed, probably great in summer but not in winter.
Don’t laugh to loud when you read this.

No it’s sealed with no vent. It’s got to be sealed as it in the habitation area.
That's an assumption, the facts are that MultiCell "sealed for life" specify they must be installed in a vented area, my present batteries where recommended as being able to be installed with no vent, but this advise was changed as although in normal circumstances they don't vent, they can when starting to fail.

That's an assumption, the facts are that MultiCell "sealed for life" specify they must be installed in a vented area, my present batteries where recommended as being able to be installed with no vent, but this advise was changed as although in normal circumstances they don't vent, they can when starting to fail.
Correct as they have pressure release valves incase or over charging or they would expload.

The more I read the more confused I get. My original idea of getting B2B set up with a larger gel leisure battery, from what I have read, is a non starter, gel needs to be charged at a low amperage, B2B gives a fast charge around 40amps.
Lithium is the way to go, or so I’m told, but costs more.
Your offer is great. How would it fit in with my system, this is the bit I can’t get to grips with.
Two Lithium batteries which will be charged via the alternator, this seems quite simple and I’m sure I could wire this in. BUT how will it integrate with the original equipment? The electrobloc EBL has only two charge settings lead acid or lead gel, can this br bypassed?
How would Lithium work when I’m parked at home? I usually plug into the mains when the van is not in use. Will the Lithium be fine with the trickle, 10amps max, I think, charge or would it damage the batteries?
Would any alterations need to be done to upgrade my existing wiring or do you just connect the Lithium batteries. I realise that, Fridge heating and cooking would be gas, okay.
I don’t want it all to go up in smoke.
Do you do installations as a trade and where are you based?
We are going to Blackpool, not been on a Rally before, just hoping at the moment to get by with just the 85amp leisure battery, this is reason I was thinking about replacing my 6 year old battery with a larger battery and this is how it all started.
As for Solar, which I considered and dismissed, probably great in summer but not in winter.
Don’t laugh to loud when you read this.
At the basic level, you take the original batteries and fit these in the same place (you said about getting 2 x 100Ah ones.. these would go where you planned for those.
The EBL you leave at GEL. The B2B installs on the EBL and has a Lithium setting that takes precedence when driving.

So you basically end up with a Battery pack that you use as before, but with a lot more capacity.

At the basic level, you take the original batteries and fit these in the same place (you said about getting 2 x 100Ah ones.. these would go where you planned for those.
The EBL you leave at GEL. The B2B installs on the EBL and has a Lithium setting that takes precedence when driving.

So you basically end up with a Battery pack that you use as before, but with a lot more capacity.
Thank you.
And when I’m plugged into the mains at home is the EBL charger suitable?

Thank you.
And when I’m plugged into the mains at home is the EBL charger suitable?
It is ok. Not ideal, but ok. With lithium you would not leave it plugged in when at home parked up, unlike Lead as Lithium doesn't need to stay on float ( in fact it is better when they don't)

Stuff like solar and other add-ons, doesn't matter if you had lead or lithium, same for both, except lithium makes those add-ons more effective.

Back