Weight restrictions for over 70s after removal of C1 class.Giving a maximum Gross weight of 3.500kg = 3.5 tonnes

"Alloy wheels 12KG !"
So fitting lightweight alloys increases the weight !
Apparently so
Also notice they add 4.5cm to height
Possibly 15 inch steel I will check.

IMG_1786.jpeg

Last edited:
"Alloy wheels 12KG !"
So fitting lightweight alloys increases the weight !
On the Malibu van I just ordered it is an 8kg weight saving going from 16” steel wheels to 16” alloy wheels. However where the option for alloys involves going from 15’’ steel wheels to 16’’ alloy wheels it gives a weight increase of 22.5kg. 15” alloys is not given as an option.

The Fiat Ducato in standard manual form comes with 15” steel wheels. It is the upsizing of the wheels to16” that causes the weight increase not the change to alloys, which are lighter.

The Fiat auto box requires a 16 inch wheel according to Rapido, and their vans come with 16 inch wheels for both steel and alloy if ordering an auto box,
So according to Rapido a 16 inch alloy is 3 kg heavier than a 15inch steel.
I assume if you order a manual without alloys, you get a 15 inch steel wheel.
But to be honest it’s not to clear, but that would make sense.
Bottom line my alloys were 12kg in total heavier than the basic model.
And I had to take this into my payload calculations.

Last edited:
16" tyre is gonna weigh quite a bit more than a 15" , assuming the same profile.

Pretty sure the 180hp option is only available on the "maxi" models, which I think come standard with 16" wheels.

I guess to accommodate larger disc?

The Fiat auto box requires a 16 inch wheel according to Rapido, and their vans come with 16 inch wheels for both steel and alloy if ordering an auto box,
So according to Rapido a 16 inch alloy is 3 kg heavier than a 15inch steel.
I assume if you order a manual without alloys, you get a 15 inch steel wheel.
But to be honest it’s not to clear, but that would make sense.
Bottom line my alloys were 12kg in total heavier than the basic model.
And I had to take this into my payload calculations.
Is yours on a Maxi chassis? If so then they all have 16" wheels. I had a quick look at Rapido site and they seem to have some errors, I saw the 'front page' for your van which shows a XLWB, but the 'front page' for V55 also shows a XLWB when AFAIK it's a LWB.

Is yours on a Maxi chassis? If so then they all have 16" wheels. I had a quick look at Rapido site and they seem to have some errors, I saw the 'front page' for your van which shows a XLWB, but the 'front page' for V55 also shows a XLWB when AFAIK it's a LWB.
They come in standard 3.5t and heavy 4.25t. Mine is 3.5t with 180 engine.
It’s also a V68.

I managed to find the Citroën spec sheet on line for my 2005 Citroën Relay 2.2hdi model 1800 long wheel base and hightop.
Giving.
Gross weight of 3.500kg 3 .5 tonnes
Unladen weight of 1995kg. 2.0 tonne aprox
Payload of 1505kg. 1.5 tonne
It was converted by Wild AXE campervan conversions in 2008.
Conversion weight was added 1/2"ply floor ,2 birth bed frame cum seating,storage locker /wardrobe. Over head cupboards, cooker/grill ,fridge, 50ltr water tank , 15 ltr under slung gas tank ,wc combined with shower cubical.
Not been weighed but best guess would be around 3/4 of a tonne which would have to be deducted from 1505 kgPayload.including driver .
So some where around 3/4 of a tonne left for ME and clothing ,food , sea fishing gear etc .
Plus Molly my Border Collie.
I will take the camper over a weigh bridge to check front and rear axle weigh distrabution.to get loaded weight ,which will HOPEFULLY be less than maximum Gross Weight of 3.500kg = 3.5 tonnes.
I have posted this to clarify my own Mind and hope it will be of use to others facing the over 70s driving restrictions .
Without having to apply for the C1 classification that I had on Grandfather rights .
It would involve a Dr's check up and eyesight test which I would pass but would have to be repeated every 2 years and cost a small fortune .

View attachment 128128
Wise to go to a weighbridge i think, then you know what load, ie food & water etc including possiblity of a full up loo you have. It all adds up quickly and can catch people out.
Unladen weights can be very misleading, as can manufacturers declared payload figures. I read about one new van that could overweight with a full watertank.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back