Water Tanks

My routine is, shove the hose in, turn the taps on, turn the water on, couple of minutes turn the pump on, purge any air out, shut the taps, fill up. After use, any water still in tank gets drained off, drain tap left open. If we're away again within a week or so, (usually) just refill. No need to purge. If it's a while before getting away again, start as above, but partially fill, run water through taps, drain off, then fill up. Sounds long-winded, but only takes minutes. Never bought bottled water in my life. Pay enough for what comes out of the tap. Besides Northwest water = best in the country! Might just use tank steriliser (doubtful) if I think SWMBO has nothing to do. (OUCH!)

water water

Yes the water tank question does keep coming up but ah oh we keep answering it, not a problem because new users keep joining. It is great to read that we all do some things the same and other things diff which must mean we can,t be far away!!!!!!!! Back to water tanks I as part of habit run fresh water plus milton once a year through my tanks. I also use 5ltr bottles for drinking. PS must admit Iwould sooner drink wine or beer HEE HEE.:cool:

Chestnuts...

I think this thread must be one of the oldest ones on here? But very relevant!

admin said:
Hi

I was hoping to get the opinion of our members on water tanks.

I remember when I bought my first "camper" and was trying to find infomation.

So here are the questions:

1) How often should you clean the tank?

2) How long is it safe to drink the water from the tank once it is filled?

3) Is it nessesary to use chemical tablets each time you re-fill?

4) Any other advice?

Hopefully your answers will allow people new to Motorhomes to gain from our members experience and expertise.

Phil

Personally I would not drink any water from the tanks unless boiled for tea or coffee. I just flush my tanks out every once in a while and use no chemicals.

billy1000 said:
Personally I would not drink any water from the tanks unless boiled for tea or coffee. I just flush my tanks out every once in a while and use no chemicals.
we have often wondered if its ok to drink the water from the taps....we have done so far with no probs,but after reading this i dont think its worth the risk......just think of all the yukky germs urrgggh :eek:

smelly stagnent water

urggghhh we have just been drinking it,no sterilizing tabs or anything:eek: ....silly really...it stops now,bottled next time :eek:

***** said:
For the last 2 years we did not use sterilizing tabs & we got no ill effects!:D
strong stomachs us red wine drinkers eh graham :D

***** said:
For the last 2 years we did not use sterilizing tabs & we got no ill effects!:D

I agree, always straight from the tanks, no ill effects. Now I'll go away & comb me face!!!! :)

beejay said:
I agree, always straight from the tanks, no ill effects. Now I'll go away & comb me face!!!! :)

And glowing in the dark saves on using a light doesn't it?

Water tanks

Never cleaned a tank yet.We use it for washing and drinking ,never had a problem over the last 30 years.Only drink bottle water when in france.If away for short period fill up before going.Think it is down to your stomach and taste buds,mine you my daughter and i , are both diabetics and are prone to infections etc ,but no problems.Use to it being country bumkins as the townies call us.

***** said:
Sam, I think that the next time we meet, I will definitely fill my tank up with a little (or lot) of red wine. :cool: Safe on down time opening bottles:eek: :D
ha ha i agree that 2 mins opening bottles is a waste of precious time ha ha

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back