Water Ingress Through My Propex Water Heater Vent!

paulmatty

Hi everyone,
I have a problem with the rain coming into the van though the vent for the Propex water heater.
It sits in a cupboard under the sink in my demountable, and when you get heavy driving rain it comes in the vent and soaks into the dinette seat base.
Does anyone have a good idea how to cover the vent "when not in use of course!" to stop the water coming in?
Yours,
Paul Matty.

Hi everyone,
I have a problem with the rain coming into the van though the vent for the Propex water heater.
It sits in a cupboard under the sink in my demountable, and when you get heavy driving rain it comes in the vent and soaks into the dinette seat base.
Does anyone have a good idea how to cover the vent "when not in use of course!" to stop the water coming in?
Yours,
Paul Matty.

is it a malaga water heater? what make is the demountable? appolo by any chance?

Yes it's a Malaga 3E but no it's not an Apollo, it is a Ranger.

Hi everyone,
Yours,
Paul Matty.

paul,many of the malaga flue vents were badly made, if you unscrew the flue from the exterior of van you will find the corners of the sheet metal box were (a) not lapped over and not sealed, or (b) just butted together and again not sealed. this results in rainwater leakage at these corners, especially the lower ones. a fillets of sealant carefully applied should cure this. I fitted the malaga GE 3 to my van a few years ago and reckon its a poorly made product, mine had a porous tank, a badly made vent (as yours) both replaced. the electronics operate spasmodically not resolved to date. hope thiis helps.

Hi everyone,
Yours,
Paul Matty.

I have also experienced water getting into my Truma E4000 heater with the vent on the side of the van.

This cost us a heater last year as it corroded the interior parts. Now we replace the cover if it is raining heavy. Didn't remember do it last night and loads of steam out of the exhaust vent when I lit it this morning.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back