Was this a scam?

PaulC

A few weeks ago someone posteda website where you inputted your reg number to see if you had been caught by a speed camera. I did and it was a hoax in the end, but I've been thinking, after I saw The Real Hustle on BBC4, it would be a good way to steal "on order". Although is was probably posted with no intent, it makes you think!

A few weeks ago someone posteda website where you inputted your reg number to see if you had been caught by a speed camera. I did and it was a hoax in the end, but I've been thinking, after I saw The Real Hustle on BBC4, it would be a good way to steal "on order". Although is was probably posted with no intent, it makes you think!

no all you did was input your reg number no other info, after all your reg number is on show all the time so its not classed as personal details after all. but it certainly got my pulse racing a little, at first i wondered if anyone had cloned my van but then i remembered who in there right mind would buy a beddy:eek::confused::D never mind clone one the thing that realy made me gasp was 70 MPH MUST HAVE BEEN A LONG STRAIGHT ROAD, 0 TO 60 TAKES NERVES OF STEEL AND ABOUT 3 WEEKS :D:D:D:D an excellent wind up it certainly had quite a few worried on here may i say .

Yes, but if you input the reg number that will give them the type and possible location of the vehicle, that you may want to steal to order, if you access the right database, or am I been a bit too paraniod? Thanks Real Hustle!

could do that with 50 cars now where i live, to clone you need more info like vin number and so on and ringing is even harder to do think we are all safe

Hi PaulC,
don't worry about it, most of us got sucked in, nearly had a bl--dy heart attack, not to mention my misses wondering what I was doing up in Geordie Land?
As for Reg numbers being stolen, apparently they do it all the time in and around London to get away with the charges when entering the Capital, then the original owners get sent the bill. I have a name for them but can't repeat it on here.

Happy Camping:)

I must admit, I am a little paranoid about giving my number plate out and I never show mine or any other Wilders in my photographs

why not as you show it to thousands of time a day when out and about, you are even on camera whilst driving one of the worst things to do is use your bank card online or get a bank receipt from the hole in the wall and then discard it in the box supplied at the cash machine your details can be retrieved by someone if they have the knowledge when you buy on line or over the phone you give the three digit security number to someone you dont know we are all open to fraud nowadays lets hope we will all stay safe

you are an intelligent bloke :D:D and are wary of the criminal ones that are among us (not on here ) it is a shame more are as wary as us :D

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back