wanted bedford ha camper

369racing

hi folks sorry this is my first post but a friend reffered me here saying he had read about a bedford ha camper laid up,

i have nearlky finnished restoring one and would love a matching one for the missus to use,

so if any one has one or knows where there is one could you please get in touch, ill give the old girl a new lease of life,

thanks in advance,

ben
07921 290 544 or brightorangemini@hotmail.com

Wow that brings back memories! My second vehicle was an HA van, bought off the local council, by the time it was finished it had the 1256cc engine fitted, HB viva disc brakes and a Girling powerstop servo, jacked-up read suspension, folding rear seat conversion, lime green fur lined, Alloycat wheels with General Grabber white lettered tyres and re-sprayed in Ford Le mans lime green!

My mate had the conversion you are talking about (I think) it was in pale blue with a box thingy that made it longer so you slept with your feet sort of out of the back doors and it had a sideways elevation roof... just can't for the life of me remember the name of the conversion (maybe Martin Walker??).

I still have (somewhere) a genuine Vauxhall Bedford engine workshop manual, if you need any info let me know; as I served my apprenticship with Vauxhall Bedford - just don't ask me to fit a clutch in an HA!!!! However a Chevette was different again, my best time was 1hr!!

nice to know you have or are in the process of restoring a ha camper. they were martin walker convertions and were a nice thing but looking round for another to do ,wow rocking horse doodars comes to mind. also original parts for the interior must be even harder to get .have you tried the bedford owners forums they are a must for a bedford owner, as i am i have a c.f a little easier on spares .good luck

They are not quite as rare as rocking horse excrement as I have one! It's not in what you might call the best of condition though.

Will post some pics!

My mates was white with a mustard stripe, not pale blue! Does that mean it was a M.W Conversion?

Here are the pics:

roma1.jpg

roma2k.jpg

roma3c.jpg

roma4s.jpg

roma5.jpg

roma6q.jpg

roma7.jpg

I still have (somewhere) a genuine Vauxhall Bedford engine workshop manual, if you need any info let me know; as I served my apprenticship with Vauxhall Bedford - just don't ask me to fit a clutch in an HA!!!! However a Chevette was different again, my best time was 1hr!!

clutch in a ha? i have done a lot worse,

its great to see another one it looks remakrably similar to mine, mine should be motd in the next week or 2 ready for our first trip away to holland febuary 16th,
009.jpg

010.jpg

Well Ben picked up my old Dormobile on Sunday. I donated it to him considering it's current condition!

Sorry to say both chassis members, and sills, and passenger floorpans had completely corroded away and it nearly broke in half at the engine bulkhead getting it on the trailer. I'll post a video shortly.

If he can repair it, it will be a miracle, but it may be worth doing as it's one of only two remaining examples with the panel rear extension as compared to the bellows which was a later model.

Otherwise, there are some good parts on there.

as there are only two left ,its well worth a dam hard try to save her, it all depends how much money and time you are willing to throw at it. after all its possible to restore most motors if they are rare enough

Here's the link to the Video of the recovery operation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuQf3L8vLWs

If anyone wants to know more about the history of this vehicle there's more in the video description or here:

In this video you can see my other motorhome in the background, but this Bedford HA has been in the family since 1970. Originally it cost £850 which was a fair sum in 1970. We got 25 years of use out of it, but severe rust had taken over by 1995 and I couldn't find anyone who was willing to weld it. Welding isn't my strong point as I only have an arc welder. So it was laid up in the trees for 15 years.

The roof on this model hinges up with a green and white PVC covering and contains a bunk bed. A pop-out made from panels emerges from the back door and that takes a double bed using a rock and roll back seat. There is a tiny one ring burner and grill plus a tip up plastic sink. Removable water carriers with a squeezy hand pump, a few tiny cupboards, removable table things, 3kg camping gaz, and a cooks seat which hinges back off the passenger seat complete the minimal camping facitlities for 3. There's no hook up, toilet, heating, insualtion, waste tank or fridge. Condensation is dreadful and it was definitely only for camping in the warm season, maybe 3 or 4 months a year.

This example is one of only a couple remaining with the pop-out panel back bed. Later models had a PVC bellows type back extension. Dormobile (Martin Walter of Folkestone) made 1000's of these from about 1967 to 1974. The van pictured is from 1968. Martin Walter moved out of motorhomes into making ambulances, but had ceased trading by about 1980.

Unfortunately the sills, front chassis, and floor pans have totally rotted out, and some vandals broke the windscreen a few years back. You can probably see it nearly broke in two at the engine bulkhead trying to get it on the trailer.

Otherwise many parts are still in good condition. It has done about 160,000 miles and only 20,000 on a reconditioned 1256cc (Chevette/Viva) engine. The interior is intact but I don't know how good the PVC bellows are, as the roof has not been up for a while.

I donated it to Ben (pictured) who has restored another Dormobile HA. If he can weld this one up, it will be the miracle of all miracles! It may be worth it as it is one of only a couple of this kind, but if not there are hopefully many parts which will be able to complete his other Dormobile and keep that running into the future.

@ Firefox...

So glad you filmed it - you could have sold tickets to watch. I look forward to hopefully seeing pics following restoration.

Good luck to Ben. I think he's going to need it!!

And... just think... its departure has free'd up a wild-camping spot deep in the forestry!! :D

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back