Wales scraps 20mph speed limit after 470,000 sign petition

Hope this comes to Spain some really silly 30 km speed limits introduced around us in Alicante region.

I think arouns housing estates and schools 20mph is plenty, then there is thine bendy country roads where 60mph is ok, bonkers, whole thing requires a rethink.
Yes trev ,that's my point near us there is a dead straight roman road with no houses and raised footpath and bike track on one side . Yet 30 km which even local police ignore for now. Totally agree near schools ,shops etc . Just think not enough thought gone into it. Computer say 30km and no one questio s it.

Regret, have to say that the article is blatantly wrong. The 20mph limit has not been scrapped but merely new guidelines have been issued to councils on where the 20mph limit can be applied. Briefly this should mean that the limits will be applied more appropriately rather than on miles of roads with no houses, pedestrians or street lights. £5m has been made available for councils to apply any changes but, I understand, they are not obliged to do so.
Please see this less sensational article https://nation.cymru/news/welsh-gov...councils-to-remove-20mph-limit-on-some-roads/.

Living in South Wales and driving on all sorts of roads around Wales in both the car and van, my experience is that the limit is overwhelmingly ignored. Most vehicles travel at around 28mph but do obey it where it is sensible - eg busy streets, schools, hospitals and the like.

Last edited:
Around schools or in town centres 20 is appropriate. Anywhere where there is a lot of pedestrians. Otherwise, blanket 20 in any urban setting serves little purpose.

There are a lot of things I like about Wales and a few I don't the 20mph limit is/was one of them, I'm forbidden to mention the others it seems.

Using a speed limiter (that all new cars will be fitted with now) takes a lot of frustration out of complying with speed limits.

As a driver in Wales I have noticed the seemingly huge difference in apparent speed when I press the button to change from 20 to 30 as the limit changes on a road.

I have also decided after switching from one to the other for months now that I would much prefer to be hit by a car at 20 than 30.

Some parts of Belfast now have 20mph s limits, main one is around old smithfield & main shopping zones where buses only are allowed.

Some parts of Belfast now have 20mph s limits, main one is around old smithfield & main shopping zones where buses only are allowed.
Has the Corporation put in extra Bus Stops so that the drivers can show their speed never exceeded 20mph, Treev? :ROFLMAO:

Steve

The problem with the 20 limit is it’s incredibly easy to exceed, just the extra concentration required to tackle a busy roundabout or junction usually results in an exit speed above 20.

Living on the Welsh borders we are in and out of wales all the time, often especially when joining major roads from unrestricted side roads I would have no idea what the limit was, the signage often being so infrequent so have always assumed it was 20 until I saw a sign stating otherwise.

It makes the journey truly horrible at times especially with the aggressive abusive behaviour of tailgaters.

I really don’t understand why they introduced this hair brain scheme with no intention or ability to enforce it adequately it just makes those of us trying to comply a bigger target for those that don’t

Tail gaiting is a big problem here if you stick to the limits, many flash lights and blow horn if you go to slow, mind you one day a big noisey ex car hooted and pulled out past me straight into the camera van hidding in the verge. 😂

The problem with the 20 limit is it’s incredibly easy to exceed, just the extra concentration required to tackle a busy roundabout or junction usually results in an exit speed above 20.

Living on the Welsh borders we are in and out of wales all the time, often especially when joining major roads from unrestricted side roads I would have no idea what the limit was, the signage often being so infrequent so have always assumed it was 20 until I saw a sign stating otherwise.

It makes the journey truly horrible at times especially with the aggressive abusive behaviour of tailgaters.

I really don’t understand why they introduced this hair brain scheme with no intention or ability to enforce it adequately it just makes those of us trying to comply a bigger target for those that don’t
Because they can.

I think arouns housing estates and schools 20mph is plenty, then there is thine bendy country roads where 60mph is ok, bonkers, whole thing requires a rethink.
I'm competely barmy so therefore well qualified, gis a job deciding random stupid too fast too slow speed limits speed limits

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back