Virgin Territory

divester

Hey guys,

I've just joined this site having just bought a campervan. I'm also just about to launch myself into the world of wild-camping - scarey or what? lol.

I have the van fitted with an air-blown heater and also a hob for cooking. I've been using a 'campingaz 907' cylinder to date but have seen the 'calorgas 4.5kg cannister which seems to work out much cheaper. Does anyone know if the regulator is compatable for both cannisters or do I have to make futher changes.

Hope to swap tips with lots of you in the weeks to come

hi .welcome .it would be easier to say no they arent compatable . but google bes. they sell all sorts of adaptors to convert bottles . i have loads of adaptors and still get beaten .last year in portugal i found a new type of connection on a french bottle and decided i didnt need it so wont get one . . have a good search i,m sure all will be explained in their catalogue.but always ask if you get stuck. we can confuse you even more ,ha ha . cheers alan.

Hey guys,

I've just joined this site having just bought a campervan. I'm also just about to launch myself into the world of wild-camping - scarey or what? lol.

I have the van fitted with an air-blown heater and also a hob for cooking. I've been using a 'campingaz 907' cylinder to date but have seen the 'calorgas 4.5kg cannister which seems to work out much cheaper. Does anyone know if the regulator is compatable for both cannisters or do I have to make futher changes.

Hope to swap tips with lots of you in the weeks to come
Hi Divester,
I made the same mistake. We had a 907 left over from our camping days but soon
found if you heat the van and water then use it for cooking it gets very expensive. We got a couple of 4.5Kgs from the local dumb at £2.00 each. Works out much cheaper. We did get another valve which cost us about £5.00 maybe £7.00 now. The saving in gas payed for it staight away.

I've been using a 'campingaz 907' cylinder to date but have seen the 'calorgas 4.5kg cannister which seems to work out much cheaper. Does anyone know if the regulator is compatable for both cannisters or do I have to make futher changes.

Hi
I would add that you need to be careful that you don't mix the regulators for butane (usually blue bottles) with propane (red bottles) as they operate at different pressures. Not sure what the consequences of getting it wrong would be, but I don't think I want to know!

AyGee

hi , i probably will get a ear bash for this but having used propane in a camping gas bottle and in some countries you can get red camping gas bottles and used a normal reg i noticed no differance. i have since used butane in propane bottles and vice versa. you dont get a choice if in some countries all you can get is what you have .i still cant say i noticed any differance. i do have an adaptor to use a camping gas reg on most bottles but i normally use an old threaded butane reg and adapt bottles to that. it suits my adapted spainish cepsa and i can easily change to my moroccan bottle. when in uk both bottles get a dose of auto gas. or a fill with propane out of my tank. if you google BES. they sell just about every adaptor you may need . i like to try and adapt to one type of reg saves having lots of regs. +in morocco you can get regs very cheap.
cheers alan

Confused now?!?

Oh 'eck! :confused: I've just looked at the Bes. website - confusing or what?!!

OK, I think I know that the regulators are not compatible. Do I just need to change the regulator or is this a bigger problem (dumbo questions need dumbo answers guys, lol).

Very impressed with the site though - a few answers in just a couple of hours, terrific!

hi does your camper use pigtail to reg or as it got a jubilee type clip holding the reg to the hose, if it as change the reg.
in the bes catalogue page 51 shows most of the regs. page 54 shows various adaptors. we dont know what you would have on the bottle you may use.
you may have to change a pigtail . . is the reg in your van builkhead mounted . all needs to be known to help you further.
what age is the van is it a converted van or a recognized conversion.
or does your camping gas regulator just screw onto your camping gas bottle. sorry to sound confusing but its not easy to guide without full info. cheers alan.

Just be aware that most camping stoves do not have "flame out" safety devices to cut gas when the flame goes out by a boil over or strong wind gust. Its adviseable to have a permanently open top and bottom vent in any van that you cook in to ensure that you dont get gassed or poisoned.

Oh 'eck! :confused: I've just looked at the Bes. website - confusing or what?!!

OK, I think I know that the regulators are not compatible. Do I just need to change the regulator or is this a bigger problem (dumbo questions need dumbo answers guys, lol).

Very impressed with the site though - a few answers in just a couple of hours, terrific!
Divester
Go to any camping and caravaning shop. Tell them which cylinder you have and they will sell you a reg for a few pounds. It screws onto your cylinder and you attach your pipe with jubilee clip to the other end.
Alan
I have order the shut off valve to prevent leaks and pipe to top up my cylinder from B E S. I reckon the pipe will pay for the valve PDQ. Many thanks for the tip:)

Can't answer for anyone else, but my 2006 AutoSleepers Topaz can use either butane or propane with the same regulator

Can't answer for anyone else, but my 2006 AutoSleepers Topaz can use either butane or propane with the same regulator

Hi sagart,

Do you use different adaptors then as the cyliders have very different fittings,

Richard

hi its making the connections to the bottles that make changing difficult . a bulkhead reg will need to have the pigtails changed to use uk butane then swap to uk propane. or use an adaptor. abroad many use the same bottle fixing for propane and butane. be it screw on or clip on. earlier this year i was offered propane when i swapped a cepsa bottle in spain. must say i,ve never seen it before .or i could have just not looked hard enough. both use same clip on reg. cheers alan.

hi its making the connections to the bottles that make changing difficult . a bulkhead reg will need to have the pigtails changed to use uk butane then swap to uk propane. or use an adaptor. abroad many use the same bottle fixing for propane and butane. be it screw on or clip on. earlier this year i was offered propane when i swapped a cepsa bottle in spain. must say i,ve never seen it before .or i could have just not looked hard enough. both use same clip on reg. cheers alan.

Hi Alan

How long have we had S.I. units Its about time we S.I. Valves and fittings. :)

Richard

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back