415 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20240330_143147533.jpg
    IMG_20240330_143147533.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 73
The van we are looking at buying (a late 2005 Chausson Allegro 83) has -
Eco Tree 110ah lithium battery
Victron charger

Solar panel (don't know size)
Unlikely to be larger than 120W given the size of the Solar Controller (max supported Power would be 145W)

Victron battery charger
See photos

Any comments on this set up?

I assume the alternator - leisure battery charging is via a split-charge-relay
If someone has added a decent Mains Charger, it is possible they have also updated the Split-charge system as well? impossible to know from info given.

Thank you

Reactions: UFO
The van we are looking at buying (a late 2005 Chausson Allegro 83) has -
Eco Tree 110ah lithium battery
Victron charger
Solar panel (don't know size)
Victron battery charger
See photos

Any comments on this set up?

I assume the alternator - leisure battery charging is via a split-charge-relay

Thank you
In photo 4, it looks like there is a smart shunt fitted above the battery, so someone has invested a fair bit in Victron kit.

Do you have access to the vehicle? If so, a check from the Victron connect app will reveal if there is also a Victron Orion B2B fitted. (Although, if there is, that cable looks a bit on the thin side?)

Last edited:
In photo 4, it looks like there is a smart shunt fitted above the battery, so someone has invested a fair bit in Victron kit.

Do you have access to the vehicle? If so, a check from the Victron connect app will reveal if there is also a Victron Orion B2B fitted. (Although, if there is, that cable looks a bit on the thin side?)
No access to the vehicle as not bought yet. Hopefully there will invoices and manuals - will then know what was fitted and when. These two were the only Victron kit visable.

Yes, I too thought the cable very thin.

How does the app interface work? Scan the QR code? There is one on the solar controller but none visable on the battery charger.

No access to the vehicle as not bought yet. Hopefully there will invoices and manuals - will then know what was fitted and when. These two were the only Victron kit visable.

How does the app interface work? Scan the QR code? There is one on the solar controller but none visable on the battery charger.
Download the Victron connect app from the relevant android or iOS store.

When you open, it will show any devices in range and you can attempt to connect. Default PIN is 000000, but some devices have a pre set PIN on the label. There is also a PUK code to reset the PIN if needed.

Manual is here

Good luck with the new van!

The battery charger isn't bluetooth, its the smart range that have bluetooth NOT the blue smart range

The battery charger isn't bluetooth, its the smart range that have bluetooth NOT the blue smart range
I will have to correct you on that, Neil. But I cannot blame the confusion - it is blooming Victron for you!

The MPPT range is either BlueSolar or SmartSolar - with the SmartSolar having the Bluetooth integrated.
On the IP22 MAINS Charger, the two version names have a different format - either BluePower or BlueSmart, and in this case it is the BlueSmart that does have Bluetooth.

I will have to correct you on that, Neil. But I cannot blame the confusion - it is blooming Victron for you!

The MPPT range is either BlueSolar or SmartSolar - with the SmartSolar having the Bluetooth integrated.
On the IP22 MAINS Charger, the two version names have a different format - either BluePower or BlueSmart, and in this case it is the BlueSmart that does have Bluetooth.
Only Victron can apply two standards and get away with it huh lol

@UFO
The mppt controller, smartshunt and mains charger all have Bluetooth connectivity if the previous owner has changed the default pin you will need to read the codes on each units label to reset them to default

I hope there isn’t still an archaic split charge relay because it’s not ideal lithium can place an excessively high load on an alternator

That particular battery was being pushed extensively not so long ago by often non technically competent YouTubers

Afaik it doesn’t have low temp disconnect built into the BMS nor internal heating so consider how you will manage charging it when the temps are near or below freezing

I hope there isn’t still an archaic split charge relay because it’s not ideal lithium can place an excessively high load on an alternator
Agreed, I could not see a B2B charger, and the cables to the battery do not look big enough.

That particular battery was being pushed extensively not so long ago by often non technically competent YouTubers

Afaik it doesn’t have low temp disconnect built into the BMS nor internal heating so consider how you will manage charging it when the temps are near or below freezing
Good to know. At what temperature will this become a problem, for example will 5 degrees C be ok?. Are there any work around for this?

Went back to see the van today with the Victron app on my phone. Can see the; EHU Battery Charger, Solar Controller and Smart Shunt, see below. No connections so will have to find the codes to reset the pin. No B2B but the seller has agreed to install a Victron one. I am thinking the 30A version will be sufficient. The voltage at the battery, both when charging from the engine alternator and the EHU Battery Charger was 13.85v - which looks low??

Attachments

• Victron screenshot.jpg
    Victron screenshot.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 10
Good to know. At what temperature will this become a problem, for example will 5 degrees C be ok?. Are there any work around for this?
Cut off should be around 0-1C cut in at around 5C
My Renogy 200Ah variant has a mind of its own though BMS or temp sensors seem very inaccurate and it sends out warnings via the app when it’s nowhere near cold enough.

I use a bog standard 230v AC seed tray heater mat under my battery if it is too cold but needs charging.

Your battery will benefit from a bit of insulation around it and especially underneath if it is in direct contact with the floor

That ip22 may not be set to a lithium profile or the battery is just pulling current hence the voltage
For the engine charging if the cabling to the battery is fairly thin it’s highly unlikely to have a basic split charge set up because that could melt wires or pop fuses so it’s probably got a semi intelligent charger in the loop somewhere.

If they are willing to (properly) fit a 30A Orion foc that’s a good result!

Last edited:
Went back to see the van today with the Victron app on my phone. Can see the; EHU Battery Charger, Solar Controller and Smart Shunt, see below. No connections so will have to find the codes to reset the pin. No B2B but the seller has agreed to install a Victron one. I am thinking the 30A version will be sufficient. The voltage at the battery, both when charging from the engine alternator and the EHU Battery Charger was 13.85v - which looks low??

Victron brought out a new b2b if they invest and you put a bit £100

Buckfastleigh I think is called 50 amps will change name to orion soon ish

Victron brought out a new b2b if they invest and you put a bit £100

Buckfastleigh I think is called 50 amps will change name to orion soon ish

The initial name was the Buck-Boost (this is actually what all B2Bs do - boost voltage when needed and linit/reduce voltage when too high (the 'buck bit)) but it is now called the Orion-XS.

Will take a while to get one though ... availability is tricky :(

All good at alpha plus our discount. 80 amps for £250. It's a must

Screenshot_20240404_235857_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240404_235817_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240404_232452_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240404_232452_Maps.jpg
    559.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20240404_235335_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240404_235335_Chrome.jpg
    521.1 KB · Views: 7
Back