Vandals strike again

sherpa

My '91 Swift Kon-tiki was recently vandalised. The locking diesel cap was wrenched off and the windscreen wipers snapped off at the base and wedged in to the fuel tank. I have sorted the wipers but I am having major problems replacing the fuel cap. Even the Fiat dealer hasn't been able to help. Anybody out there got any ideas.

Sorry to read about your problems. Hope you are able to catch - or at least deter - them in future.

Our van is based on a Boxer (2004) but our experience may help. We became concerned that the same key operated the fuel cap, doors and ignition after reading in CC magazine and other places about vans being stolen after the thieves first stole the fuel cap to obtain a copy key.

Couldn't find a locking cap at Halfords or the local Peugeot garage but ended up in Motor World one day where we found the Metro Flexicap http://www.motor-world.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod_id=1048

The cap works fine.

Graham

Star man

Thanks Graham, my local Motor World has them in stock so I'm on my way!!

Caution...

Just a note of caution with these caps!
I had need to fit one of these to a Ford Scorpio that we once owned and for some time after fitting, suffered fuel starvation which would re-occur and took us weeks to eliminate the problem. It was caused like this... each time the cap was removed from the filler neck a tiny sliver of the expanding plastic that protrudes into the neck was shaved off and fell into the neck and found its merry way into the tank where the fuel broke down the oil based plastic until it was a jelly like substance which eventually blocked the fuel filter and a vacuum was created which would stall the vehicle, as soon as the engine was stalled the vacuum would cease, the engine would refuel and the jelly would swim itself around the tank until it found the filter again!

Last edited:
Oh 'eck :) I'll have a look at the cap when I get a chance to see if anything similar may be happening.

Thanks,
Graham

I had a look at the cap and there doesn't seem to be any obvious shaving of any area of the plastic. Maybe they've modified the design/material.

Anyway, thanks once again Virgil, I'll keep my eye on it.

Graham

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back